Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2008, 12:35 PM   #51
Ace1
Registered Member

Paul, i email them 2 days ago with no response as of yet, thanx for the input.

by the way what i FWIW?

Ace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 12:37 PM   #52
Ace1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuze
Does it matter when you dose whether it's before or after lights or while they are on?

I plan on starting BioDigest, vodka & aminos route for my 200g.

BioDigest every 14 days. Vodka daily (currently 6ml daily) and aminos per instructions. For aminos I will be using Elos, Warner Marine & Brightwell Aquatics.
I second this question..

Unread 12/10/2008, 12:51 PM   #53
Paul_PSU
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace1
Paul, i email them 2 days ago with no response as of yet, thanx for the input.

by the way what i FWIW?
For What It's Worth...

I guess we can all agree the customer service is not too prompt..

Paul_PSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 12:55 PM   #54
Paul_PSU
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuze
Does it matter when you dose whether it's before or after lights or while they are on?

I plan on starting BioDigest, vodka & aminos route for my 200g.

BioDigest every 14 days. Vodka daily (currently 6ml daily) and aminos per instructions. For aminos I will be using Elos, Warner Marine & Brightwell Aquatics.
I am currently dosing the same thing: Biodigest (15 day), AA(zeo) daily and vodka (1.9ml daily). I always dose everything when I get up in the morning around 6am. I feed later in the day and evening.

Paul

Paul_PSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 02:25 PM   #55
Ace1
Registered Member

OK i dove in, just dosed the Bio Digest 1/2 the ampoule amount and about 1/2 or the Bioptim..

Had to do it the cyano and all is getting too bad and my nitrates are not budging

i will cut Bio Digest into 1/4 doses from here and keep the Bioptim to 1/2, when that runs out maybe i'll try the Vodka??

Unread 12/10/2008, 03:46 PM   #56
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Fair enough... It's just that I seem to be getting mixed information on the topic of using phosphate removers while dosing Prodibio.

While you may not "bleach" your corals overnight, I could see where they could begin to slowly lose color and you/we might not notice because we see the tank every day, you know what I mean?

Anyway, just looking for the straight skinny on P04 removers while on Prodibio... Some do some don't I guess? I suppose it may depend on your situation too.

Quote:
Originally posted by mpoletti
I use a hanna for my PO4.

I would "know" because its not hard to tell when your corals are changing colors especially if you understand your paramenters.

I have never had a coral bleach overnight due to low nutrients. I closely inspect my tank on a daily basis.

Dave's Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 05:24 PM   #57
pusanpa
Registered Member

I recommend Zeostart2 over vodka. My tank look happier + better color with zeostart2.

pusanpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 07:55 PM   #58
Ace1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pusanpa
I recommend Zeostart2 over vodka. My tank look happier + better color with zeostart2.
Can i use Zeo start2 after dosing the Bio Digest ounce Bioptim runs out??

Unread 12/10/2008, 07:57 PM   #59
Ace1
Registered Member

it doesent seem necessary to keep dosing the bacteria ounce it has been established, seems like all we have to do is feed them and food options for the bactedria are Vodka, sugar, vinager, Zeostart2 and Bioptim..

Is this correct??

Unread 12/16/2008, 02:13 PM   #60
acpoweradapter
Registered Member

I went ahead and tried dosing a whole amp and we will see if it spikes the tank or not. So far it looks fine, we I dosed the ReefBooster it turned my water white for 30 minutes but its all good now.

Alabama Reefers
acpoweradapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2008, 08:58 PM   #61
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cato
I just finished my 6th "dose" of Biodigest on Sat and Bioptim on Sun. I disconnected my PO4 reactor 4 weeks ago. At that time my PO4 was 0.02 via Hanna photometer. I have checked it every week since and my readings have been at 0.01. Just checked it tonight and still at 0.01. I feel I no longer need it and will not waste $$ on the media anymore. No need for it.

Next week I switch to alternating the digest and optim every other week and begin weekly doses of Reefbooster. My corals have lightened slightly over the past 6 weeks. I continue to run GAC and change it monthly. I also dose Zeo aminos on M-W-F and Zeo Coral Vitalizer daily. I feed my corals DT Oyster eggs once/wk and feed fish 1-2x/daily. This is basically my normal feeding regime. I didn't change anything when I began Prodi. I have also been dosing Zeo Phols xtra, K-balance and B-balance the whole time ( I was dosing the Zeo stuff for ~3 months so I didn't stop).

I am very happy with my results in my tank and am looking fwd to the long term improvments over the next 6 mos or so. FWII Prodi is a very slow process if dosed correctly with minimal risk of foul. This is why I went this route vs ZEO or other similar. HTH

BTW it was sooooo hard keeping myself from dosing the booster earlier but I did and could not be more pleased with my results thus far. Good luck.

When you say "it was so hard keeping from dosing the reefbooster earlier but you did and couldn't be happier" does that mean you did or did not wait? Kind of hard to make out your meaning???

Can you let me know please? I just started dosing Bioptim and the Biodigest Monday!

Thanks

Unread 12/16/2008, 09:16 PM   #62
acpoweradapter
Registered Member

Why wait on dosig reef booster?

Alabama Reefers
acpoweradapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2008, 10:26 PM   #63
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acpoweradapter
Why wait on dosig reef booster?
Everything I've read says you're supposed to start with Bioptim and Biodigest and after 4-6 weeks then begin dosing Reefbooster.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please but this was my understanding. But ya know I'll be the 1st to admit, I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer either so, like I said, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Unread 12/16/2008, 11:56 PM   #64
kirstenk
23.5 Degrees

ReefBooster is like a huge nutritional package for your reef. Its better to wait on dosing until your tank is ULN. That's why they suggest you wait. It does contain PO4. When I was dosing Prodibio the Booster raised my PO4 by 0.01. The system used it up within 24 hours. My tank is 175g.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

Reefer stabs Reefer in back over quarrel.

Current Tank Info: 150g, 58g
kirstenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2008, 01:41 AM   #65
Ace1
Registered Member

how long before you can see Nitrates go down, thats MY problem and has been from day one... since using bio clean system my N03 has dropped from 20-50ppm to 10-20ppm (API test) but cant seem to get lower, granted im only on my 1st half vail of biodigest and 2nd 3rd of biotim, but i cant wait i wanna get the No3 to 0 asap..

oh my phosphates are 0 but i will keep running my GFO reactor (already bought a life supply GFO)

Unread 12/17/2008, 02:09 AM   #66
Ace1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cato
I just finished my 6th "dose" of Biodigest on Sat and Bioptim on Sun. I disconnected my PO4 reactor 4 weeks ago. At that time my PO4 was 0.02 via Hanna photometer. I have checked it every week since and my readings have been at 0.01. Just checked it tonight and still at 0.01. I feel I no longer need it and will not waste $$ on the media anymore. No need for it.

Next week I switch to alternating the digest and optim every other week and begin weekly doses of Reefbooster. My corals have lightened slightly over the past 6 weeks. I continue to run GAC and change it monthly. I also dose Zeo aminos on M-W-F and Zeo Coral Vitalizer daily. I feed my corals DT Oyster eggs once/wk and feed fish 1-2x/daily. This is basically my normal feeding regime. I didn't change anything when I began Prodi. I have also been dosing Zeo Phols xtra, K-balance and B-balance the whole time ( I was dosing the Zeo stuff for ~3 months so I didn't stop).

I am very happy with my results in my tank and am looking fwd to the long term improvments over the next 6 mos or so. FWII Prodi is a very slow process if dosed correctly with minimal risk of foul. This is why I went this route vs ZEO or other similar. HTH

BTW it was sooooo hard keeping myself from dosing the booster earlier but I did and could not be more pleased with my results thus far. Good luck.
I noticed that you using K and B balance along with the phols extra.. my question is how are testing for Potassium and what salt mix are using??

some have more potassium than others, i dabbled with pure potassium chloride on 1 dose I miscalculated and over dosed (according to Brightwells potassium product) but i immediately noticed my green no-name acro slime up with exteme polyp extentions and also my superman danae turned bright blue, and it had extreme polyp extension, but it spooked me so i layed off of it for the time being.. have you noticed anything resembling this when dosing K??

Unread 12/17/2008, 08:12 AM   #67
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Ace, you can implement a few 25% water changes combined with lighter feeding for a few days to bring your NO3 down faster if necessary.

Be carefull running GFO with this, even if you have a lifetimes supply , especially considering your PO4 is 0.

In regards to your Potassium question, I too have seen my blues become brighter... its why I use it and love it... blue is my fav! You can use the KZ or Fauna Kalium test kit (FWIW I use Seachem Reef salt).

Make your animals Thrive, not just Survive.
stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2008, 11:30 AM   #68
Ace1
Registered Member

Stunreefer, thanx for the feed back, after doing some more math and finding a calculator for potassium ppm, i discovered that i did NOT OD on K according to Brightwell and seeachem.

I only added about 0.4ppm on that dose...when they are basically recommending 104ppm every other day so im all good with it, If you ever think of making your own (i call it a 4 part recipe) here is the calculator link: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

although after doing the math, its cheaper and less of a hassle to just buy a potassium product by say Brightwell or Seachem or zeovit unless you you can find Potassium Chloride and/or Potassium Sulfate in Bulk..

for now i will use up the chlorided that i have and get a product as well

As for N03 i have done alote of water changes at 25-50% but have not gotten the N03 below 10-20.. I was actrually instructed to stop with water changes as thing never got a chance to settle... will consider doing larger changes at the sam interval if N03 doest come down on after my next Bio dose

GFO- Can it hurt to run the GFO ??? to maintain low phos???

Unread 12/17/2008, 11:38 AM   #69
mcola78
Premium Member

I am pretty new to this also and it sounds very tempting.

Question is...I currently dose DIY two-part. Does the ReefBooster replace my need for two-part, or do I keep running two-part in tandem with ReefBooster.

I also noted a ReefBooster PRO, about 5x as much $$$ as the regular ReefBooster, but I cant seem to find any information about the difference between the two.

Thanks in advance for your help.

mcola78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2008, 11:38 AM   #70
Ace1
Registered Member

what are the risk of doing this,i have seen other run both GFO & Bio??

Last edited by Ace1; 12/17/2008 at 11:45 AM.
Unread 12/17/2008, 11:41 AM   #71
Ace1
Registered Member

Im no pro yet but hell yes you must keep with the 2part the big 3 are the most important CA, Alk, Mag everything else is food, reefbooster is coral food..

Unread 12/17/2008, 12:18 PM   #72
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace1
what are the risk of doing this,i have seen other run both GFO & Bio??
The GFO can outcompete the bacteria for nutrients which defeats the purpose, or at least doesn't utilize the full potential of a bacterial driven system. There are people who do it, Mark (mpoletti) posted in this thread about doing it and he's an experienced reefer with great results...

Personally I wouldn't run it, especially if your PO4 is 0.

mcola78, Ace nailed it. You still need to keep up with your ALK and CA demand (which is your 2-part). The Reefbooster is to introduce necessary nutrients once your running an ULNS.

Make your animals Thrive, not just Survive.
stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2008, 01:26 PM   #73
mcola78
Premium Member

THANKS.

So what are the RECOMMENDED Doses (per Prodibio) for the following? Established Tank? I do not see the time frames for all of them.

BIO_DIGEST = 1 Amp (vial) treats up to 1,000 Liters (264 Gallons). Dose every 15 days.

BIOPTIM = ???

REEFBOOSTER = 1 Amp (vial) treats up to 400 Liters (105 Gallons). Dose once every week.

mcola78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2008, 03:39 PM   #74
Ace1
Registered Member

Had the same question prior to use

For Bio Digest you can cut the doses to meet your system size or you can dose the whole vail up to 1,00 liters
Bioptim i have cut the doses to preserve it, so i use a 1/2 dose 1x per week.. This has been ok for me since it is my 2nd dose of bioptim and my N03 are now down 5-10ppm
;-)

I have not dosed Reef boosters yet because i needed to get my N03 down before adding excess nutrients..
But im still worried sick about my param stability and my stylos not fully extending???
;-/

hope this helps

Unread 12/18/2008, 08:29 AM   #75
Paul_PSU
Moved On

Here is my email to Prodibio and their response:

Thanks for using our products.

Concerning dosing, since there are as many tanks as there are aquarists, we can only offer average mono-doses.

Except for products such as Iodine, there is no risk of overdosing. So most products are up to the indicated volume.

If the tank is very small (ie in the range of 5-20 gal) it is better to use the Nano range of Prodibio products.

For bigger tanks but still smaller than the maximum indicated volume, you can adapt the frequency of dosing if necessary.

For example Reef Booster is for 400L every week. If the volume is 200L, dose once every 14 days.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Dr. Guillaume VANOT

Marketing & Production Manager

PRODIBIO, Aquarium Care Program
"Station Alexandre", 29-31 Bd C. Moretti
13336 MARSEILLE Cedex 14 – FRANCE
Tél : + 33 491 671 215 - Fax : + 33 491 471 622
Email : guillaume.vanot@prodibio.fr

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Paul
Envoyé : mercredi 10 décembre 2008 11:56