Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2008, 10:40 PM   #826
bleedingthought
Registered Member

I put silicone between the gasket and the glass. The frange is the "male" piece of the bulkhead and the nut is the "female." You can put silicone between the the flange and the gasket too, though. It won't hurt.

Unread 03/13/2008, 10:58 PM   #827
socalchris
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bleedingthought
I put silicone between the gasket and the glass. The frange is the "male" piece of the bulkhead and the nut is the "female." You can put silicone between the the flange and the gasket too, though. It won't hurt.
sweet, thanks for the help

socalchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2008, 07:11 AM   #828
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

If the outside isn't chipped and it makes you feel better insert the bulkhead so the gasket is against the better surface, inside or outside orientation doesn't normally matter as long as the flange and gasket are on the same side. If the gasket covers the chips it shouldn't be a problem either.
Bulkheads should seal fine without silicone which can cause problems (leaks) down the road if not immediately. I personally wouldn't use silicone on a bulkhead nor have I ever had one leak.

Tim

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
hllywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2008, 07:40 AM   #829
poltergeist
Registered Member

I also highly recommend duct-taping the back side of the glass before you drill, this gives a little extra resistance so the backside chipping will be minimal. (just where the hole will come through)

This is standard practice in the glass industry.

poltergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2008, 08:58 AM   #830
newb
Registered Member

justonemoretank thank you for starting this thread and sharing your experience. hllywd the sunglasses and car door example made it very easy for me to figure out if it was safe for me to drill. lau was an excelent seller 38 45 &60mm with ship was $26.00. ordered on tuesday bits arrived on the next thursday friday night i had two new holes in a perfectly good fishtank. i used the duct tape on the back and ran a hose over the top. slow speed cordless and everything went fine. one tank down one to go

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2008, 06:41 AM   #831
OceanSpray
Registered Member

The ingenuity of the people posting in these threads is amazing. Lots of great info here. Great job!

Current Tank Info: 90 - Mixed Reef / 30 Sump
OceanSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2008, 04:49 PM   #832
stankyk
Registered Member

bulkhead ? schedule 80 looks better but the required hole size is 1 and 7/8 as opposed to the 1 and 3/4 its just an 1/8 of an inch difference will it work. great thread by the way!!!

stankyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2008, 07:49 PM   #833
JustOneMoreTank
Registered Member

Sch 80 Bulkheads work great. You just have to make sure that you get the correct size hole (larger than "standard" bulkheads) drilled in the tank.
I see everyone is still having fun with the thread!

JustOneMoreTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2008, 07:42 PM   #834
gsxunv04
Registered Member

do you use a slow drill speed?

gsxunv04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2008, 08:40 PM   #835
FrozenSurfer
Here Fishy Fishy

I just put 2 one inch holes in a Oceanic 37 and a few more in a couple of smaller tanks... and then a few more in some frag tanks that I'm setting up.

I suggest a practice tank if you are nervous. Buy a 10 gal from petco, they're like $11 or so. If you can drill that, you can pretty much drill anything as the glass is way thin.

I always use a higher speed with the drill, it keeps it from binding up on the glass and cracking it. I start the bit off on about a 40-45 degree angle and keep it there for about halfway through the drilling.

So far I've put a few hundred holes in tanks, no problems thus far.

FrozenSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2008, 11:29 AM   #836
gsxunv04
Registered Member

ok so use a high drill speed, thanks

gsxunv04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2008, 12:10 PM   #837
YeahitsK
Registered Member

I had a problem when I was drilling my tank. The bit jumped on me as I was flattening out the angle and I put a pretty good scratch on it:

How big of a problem is this? I was planning to cut another pane of glass to cover this area and silicone it in place, then install the bulkhead over this. I'm curious to hear opinions if this is a disaster waiting to happen.

YeahitsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2008, 08:29 PM   #838
FrozenSurfer
Here Fishy Fishy

What size tank are we talking about? That looks like some decently thick glass.... How deep are the scratches?

Unread 07/23/2008, 08:36 PM   #839
VSpeck
Slash Smack Talker

just a question i dont know if its mentioned in this thread or not but when i drill my tanks i take a piece of half inch plywood and drill a hole the same size as the diamond bit and hold the bit in place with the plywood so it cant jump around on me.

dont know if that makes sense to anyone but me but picture a hole say stencil

Current Tank Info: 150g African
VSpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2008, 08:50 PM   #840
FrozenSurfer
Here Fishy Fishy

It makes sense. Just make sure you don't use the same diamond bit to drill the wood. I tired that one time.. the bit was way dull due to the wood gumming it up. I just start the drill off on an angle, get it going then slowly straighten out the bit.

Unread 07/24/2008, 06:47 AM   #841
YeahitsK
Registered Member

It's 1/4" inch thick and it's a 30 gallon oceanic tank. The scratches aren't that deep but you can definitely feel them with your fingernail.

I actually just came across this thing and wish I had used it:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/p227/G...duct_info.html

Unread 07/24/2008, 09:27 AM   #842
FrozenSurfer
Here Fishy Fishy

Oh, yeah I just drilled a Oceanic 37 last night and have an Oceanic 30 at work that looks like swiss cheese. That is some thick glass. Here's my suggestion. Set the tank outside, if you can't set it outside use the bath tub. If you don't have a bath tub... well... Use a friends. Put some bulkheads in it, cap them off and fill up the tank.

Here's my $0.02. This is 1/4" glass on a 30g tank. The amount of stress put on the glass by 1/32" scratch is not nearly as much as you would think. I have a 30g Oceanic Cube as well. I have put 2 - 1" holes for drains, 2 - 3/4" holes for Closed Loop Returns and a 1 1/2" hole for a CL drain. That is way more stress than the scratches you have. These tanks are built solid. I'm pretty sure you will be just fine with the scratches.

Unread 07/24/2008, 11:17 AM   #843
YeahitsK
Registered Member

Cool, thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to do a freshwater test before I put the tank in my home full of saltwater and expensive livestock. I only have two holes on my 30 and when the overflow and return are installed it looks like it covers most of the real estate on the back wall. Yours must be quite a sight! I do love the Oceanic tanks though, it does look solid but you never know when it comes to glass. Congrats on the 37 gal-those are really hard to find as they don't make them anymore.

Unread 07/24/2008, 12:03 PM   #844
FrozenSurfer
Here Fishy Fishy

Make sure to post some pictures! Here's a couple of the 37 with the new holes. It took me 2 years to track this tank down. It is the last one out of the factory....

Now the waiting for the RO/DI unit to catch up begins....

Here's a link to my build thread...
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...3#post13013903

Last edited by FrozenSurfer; 07/24/2008 at 12:14 PM.
Unread 07/24/2008, 12:25 PM   #845
YeahitsK
Registered Member

Ha, I just saw that tank over on another site I frequent. Looks great! I'm impressed with the DIY skills.

Unread 07/24/2008, 12:33 PM   #846
FrozenSurfer
Here Fishy Fishy

lol.. you saw nothing of the sorts... yeah....

Unread 08/09/2008, 10:53 PM   #847
gimmic
Registered Member

Did this tonight without a problem. Slight chipping on the inside of the glass due to flex when it was almost through.

If/Next time I will block it with wood, other than that no problem. Cheapo e-bay glass hole bit and it worked great!

I also used a larger gasket for the water container and used some putty to form a watertight seal.

gimmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 04:47 PM   #848
chieuxuan
Registered Member

bump for a great thread..........8-)

chieuxuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2009, 08:13 PM   #849
procaelio
Registered Member

I plan on drilling and installing a 1.5" bulk head in the bottom of a 40 gallon tank. I am concerned about decresing integrity of the glass. The inside of the tank will have 2 18" square ceramic tiles covering the entire of the bottom of the tank. These will be siliconed so no water gets under them. I think this will releave some of the pressure on the bottom. I also plan on supporting the underside of the tank around the bulkhead. I'm not sure just yet with what. Any suggetions other than don't do it?

procaelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2009, 12:02 AM   #850
das75
Registered Member

I've got 3-2" and 5-1" bulkheads on the bottom and no worries. Have the whole tank on a piece of high density foam (pink), would be more concerned about just trying to support the area around the bulkhead causing uneven stresses.

For drilling seen suggested stay the hole diameter away from the edges and other holes and that's how a tank building company made mine.

das75 is offline   Reply With Quote