Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2018, 12:28 PM   #1
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Small angler in 10 gallon tank?

So what are your thoughts on keeping a angler (something that would stay small like a warty max 4”)

in a 10 gallon tank plumbed into a large display

Being a fish that needs to be alone because it will eat or be eater by others

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 01:38 PM   #2
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

I think you will be okay in a tank that small if your able to do water changes frequently enough to maintain decent water quality provided the species you get stays inside of 6 inches max in size. But even at that size for a fish that sedate, its still kinda of tight quarters. Even for the two smaller varieties I would recommend something a bit bigger...once they start getting close to max size.

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 02:53 PM   #3
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaexpat2 View Post
I think you will be okay in a tank that small if your able to do water changes frequently enough to maintain decent water quality provided the species you get stays inside of 6 inches max in size. But even at that size for a fish that sedate, its still kinda of tight quarters. Even for the two smaller varieties I would recommend something a bit bigger...once they start getting close to max size.

Separate Water changes?
If it’s plumbed into the main display and that gets its regular maintenance water changes included

I mentioned a warty they get 4” max and even that can take years if you buy a small

Unread 05/17/2018, 06:36 PM   #4
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Then you should be golden

Unread 05/17/2018, 07:01 PM   #5
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Thanks i appreciate your opinion

Did you ever have a angler im curios what a angler owner would say

Unread 05/17/2018, 07:45 PM   #6
jambon222
Registered Member

I keep a small ( warty frogfish I was told) 1.5 inches long in a 10 gallon quarantine tank . I have only had it for 2 weeks and am feeding small mollies. He took one from the tweezers the other day. I hope to switch it to frozen silversides or krill in the near future. I use the small hang on filter and switched the bulbs to power compacts. Just do a gallon per week water changes. So far so good!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

jambon222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 10:20 PM   #7
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Very nice

Unread 05/17/2018, 10:21 PM   #8
Louis Z
Registered Member

They can do well in a 10 as long as it’s filtered or plumbed the way you have it . Easier in a smaller tank because they encounter their prey more often .The Florida guppy farms may have guppies that tolerate full SW . You can order in bulk and keep them outside in the warm months in a small pond systm . During winter they would have to be protected.

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 10:25 PM   #9
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Thank for the tip i do want to wean it to frozen as soon as possible though

Unread 05/20/2018, 02:17 AM   #10
Louis Z
Registered Member

Weaning takes a while . I tried on small anglers without success . They become too weak if not fed enough . They will literally refuse to eat even if they are starving . Then no matter what you do they won’t eat . When I tried , I used small slivers of fish , shrimp on bamboo skewers and danced around them to no avail . Tried regular guppies and they would death spiral in the salt and not be available. Once the guppy is dead, the angler will never be enticed even if it floats by in the current. Some of the mail order bait suppliers in Florida also provide sailfin mollies raised in salt along with the SW killifish if you need something larger in size and bulk quantity . I never wanted to spend the money on pet store mollies at $3 ea for a one time meal . The breeding attempt of mollies is also slow, either slow growing to size or slow in production . I also had a really large angler that was so fearless and always hungry that anything that moved dead or alive was fair game , even my fingers when I would clean the tank. So my advice is not to rush the weaning .

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 07:59 AM   #11
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
Thanks i appreciate your opinion

Did you ever have a angler im curios what a angler owner would say
Yes for several years I had a Striated Angler...

Unread 05/21/2018, 09:06 PM   #12
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Thank you i really appreciate all of you guys input