Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2017, 06:33 PM   #1
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

180g ClownFish Harem Build (55 ClownFish = 25 BTA's)

Must be the theme all of a sudden, hahaha!

So, while I am waiting for my tank to recover from marine velvet. I decide as well to turn my 180g in the wall to a clownfish harem tank.

Tank has been fallow for 3 weeks.. I had 1 survivor that I couldn't catch for 2 months. Tank has been up and running now for 6 months.

For exporting nutrients I run a skimmer and a algae scrubber (11x10 screen)

The plan is for 40 clownfish from the same clutch, just trying to decide which species to go with.

Since i have till 11/1/17 before I can add fish.. started dropping BTA's in the tank. With 40 clown fish.. I am gonna start out with 20-24 BTA's. The plan is to get them in the tank and growing till them.

4/24 BTA's!!

The video shows 1 RBTA from the weekend, and today I trade some coral for 2 rbta and 1 bright green BTA. Gonna make my aquascape look like skittles!

https://youtu.be/V9hY5JBH7YQ

Here is a pic from the today's additions:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nem1.jpg (87.8 KB, 293 views)
Tank #1: 180g "in the wall" ClownFish Harem Tank!

Current Tank Info: 180g In the wall build

Last edited by Zagzoo71; 03/22/2018 at 04:50 PM.
Zagzoo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

BTA Update...

Well... 3/4 of the first BTA's stayed put for one week, getting ready to possibly add 10 - 12 more in the next few days. One of the 2 new rbta's is mia.. been missing for 8hrs.. so i guess 3/4 staying put were i placed them isnt bad to start.

Unread 09/17/2017, 06:43 PM   #3
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

9 GBTA's into the tank now.. grand total of 13 BTA's. 9 green, 1 bright neon green, and 3 RBTA's. Have some rainbows on reserve for next months frag meet.

And the gbta's have started their evening walk to see were they are happy!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg allmost full2.jpg (68.4 KB, 224 views)

Unread 09/18/2017, 10:15 AM   #4
D-Nak
Registered Member

Have you decided on which species of clownfish?

I guess it's a little late to recommend not going with BTAs, but if you're planning to have ocellaris or percula, having either magnifica or gigantea anemones makes for a nice display. Once settled in, IME both mags and gigs don't wander much, unlike BTAs. They're both difficult to find and need to be QTed, but after that point, I consider them very hardy anemone despite what you may read.

One BTA in your MP40 could take out your whole tank. 20 of them is asking for trouble. I've gotten a large gig stuck in an MP40 and it actually stopped the wetside from spinning. The result was an injured nem (it eventually recovered) but my point is that it didn't nuke the entire tank because the nem wasn't turned into a puree.

Unread 09/18/2017, 12:04 PM   #5
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

I got foam covers on order for my power heads to keep them out. Still deciding on what species of clowns to go with.

Unread 09/23/2017, 12:38 PM   #6
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Little update.. been about 1 week since I added 9 GBTA's (7 made it) and added 1 RBTA past thursday. Redid some rock work to get a few gbta to move into view.. everyone basically settled in and happy.. no one has moved it last 4 days.

Youtube Link:

ClownFish Harem.. 13 BTA's

Unread 09/27/2017, 01:43 PM   #7
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

can I mix any other nem with bta's? or will it be a sting fest if they get to close?

Unread 10/20/2017, 12:29 PM   #8
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Well... Little update... seems all the BTA's want to be on one side of the tank this week. The biggest gbta decided it will just shove itself in front of the others. Next weekend still gonna be picking up around 12 rainbow bta's.. then in 2 weeks 40 lightening clowns!!

Unread 10/20/2017, 01:09 PM   #9
Kinetic
Registered Member

Looks really great. It's kind of crazy how much your BTAs are moving. Do you ever wonder if conditions in the tank aren't right for them to settle down?

I have little experience with BTAs moving around (I've had a few in the past, but they attached and stay put pretty quickly). I always assumed that if they're happy, they'll stay put. If they're wandering so much, maybe they're looking for something they don't have.

Your flow looks pretty strong. What about lighting? Or do you think all the movement is totally normal?

My current rainbow BTA didn't move for 3 days, then wandered the entirety of the tank (even face planted on my mesh cover for my gyre pump, good thing that thing was on minimal flow) for about a week. It stayed put for a week, and now it moved 5 inches. So maybe they just keep walking forever?

Lightning maroons will be amazing. I like the cuteness of ocellaris, but the lightning maroons look incredible.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 01:20 PM   #10
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Looks really great. It's kind of crazy how much your BTAs are moving. Do you ever wonder if conditions in the tank aren't right for them to settle down?

I have little experience with BTAs moving around (I've had a few in the past, but they attached and stay put pretty quickly). I always assumed that if they're happy, they'll stay put. If they're wandering so much, maybe they're looking for something they don't have.

Your flow looks pretty strong. What about lighting? Or do you think all the movement is totally normal?

My current rainbow BTA didn't move for 3 days, then wandered the entirety of the tank (even face planted on my mesh cover for my gyre pump, good thing that thing was on minimal flow) for about a week. It stayed put for a week, and now it moved 5 inches. So maybe they just keep walking forever?

Lightning maroons will be amazing. I like the cuteness of ocellaris, but the lightning maroons look incredible.
Well.. I been playing around with the flows.. trying to calm some of it down (probably why a few have moved... some have moved into the strong flow and stayed there.. some move to an area with hardly any flow.) I have the Jabeo 40 size power heads. THink I am gonna get the 25 size version. My current ones are on power setting 2 and on the pulse slowest setting. I have also redid my LED settings.. had too much whites were the bta's colors were off.

Unread 10/20/2017, 01:29 PM   #11
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagzoo71 View Post
Well... Little update... seems all the BTA's want to be on one side of the tank this week. The biggest gbta decided it will just shove itself in front of the others. Next weekend still gonna be picking up around 12 rainbow bta's.. then in 2 weeks 40 lightening clowns!!

I'm sure you've done your research, but I feel the need to reiterate that maroon clowns are extremely aggressive. Even juveniles are known to fight with each other, so much so that breeders are forced to separate them a lot earlier than with other species. Having lots of BTAs will hopefully ease the aggression, but I think you may end up with losses.

Unread 10/20/2017, 01:46 PM   #12
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
I'm sure you've done your research, but I feel the need to reiterate that maroon clowns are extremely aggressive. Even juveniles are known to fight with each other, so much so that breeders are forced to separate them a lot earlier than with other species. Having lots of BTAs will hopefully ease the aggression, but I think you may end up with losses.
They were piscaso percula's type (sorry might have my spieces mixed up).. I know they were not maroon clowns.

Last edited by Zagzoo71; 10/20/2017 at 01:57 PM.
Unread 10/20/2017, 02:01 PM   #13
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagzoo71 View Post
They were piscaso percula's type (sorry might have my spieces mixed up).. I know they were not maroon clowns.
LOL okay gotcha. Picassos will be fine together. Lightnings not so much.

Unread 10/22/2017, 06:38 PM   #14
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Here is the picassos I am getting 50 of:

Last edited by Zagzoo71; 10/22/2017 at 06:47 PM.
Unread 10/23/2017, 04:18 PM   #15
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

well it looks like I will not be adding 12 rainbow bta's this weekend. Vendor over sold at a swap meet last weekend. But, the good news is probably be getting 4-5 rainbows.. and 1 is the mother rainbow (were all the clones were coming from ) and she is 12" across!!

Soo.. little change of direction.. since all the bta's like the right half of my tank, ill keep putting them there. On the far left side of the tank putting a saddle carpet in tomorrow!!!

Unread 10/24/2017, 05:16 PM   #16
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Well finally one of my rbta split!! First one ever I owned that split: Total now 14 bta's!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...EZDeGRLcS05dmc

Unread 10/25/2017, 06:18 PM   #17
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Unread 10/31/2017, 02:24 PM   #18
Mongo77
Registered Member

Can't wait to see the tank with the clowns added. Nice choice of clowns!

Mongo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 06:28 PM   #19
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Another update: Added 3 more rainbow BTA's, 2 in the 3-4" range, 1 around 8-10"

Unread 11/01/2017, 11:33 AM   #20
sunkim622
Registered Member

I had a friend who's darwin clownfish started breeding so he tried raising them. After a couple tries he had probably 80 baby clownfish and nowhere to put them. I had a huge 4" darwin in my 85 gallon tank so I got rid of all my other fish and turned it into a harem tank by taking 50 of his. It was awesome with the one huge female and 50 babies swimming around.

Keep this up! It looks like it's coming around nicely. Good luck!

sunkim622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 05:33 PM   #21
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Well today waa the day!! I picked up my clowns from the local breeder. 55 clownfish to be exact, here is the make up"

- helmet perc
- platium perc
- picasso perc
- darwin percs

Accilimated for almoat 2hrs, 1 darwin didnt make it.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/QeptrTgWp_0

Unread 11/19/2017, 02:22 AM   #22
Kinetic
Registered Member

Wow they're all in the middle. Good things those BTA's are well established already, having so many clowns smashing themselves into it would be pretty traumatic =)

Looks great! So many different sizes too!

Good luck with all of them! Keep us updated.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 05:51 AM   #23
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

I'm doing a 2ft cube with a small clown harem too, probably 10 baby clowns.

From speaking to others and my own personal experience of 21 Btas right now if you want them to bubble and stay that way you need low flow and strong lighting close to the water line.

My bubble tips are all nicely bubbled and I have a single vortech mp10 qd on lagoon mode. Once a day I stick it on NTP for an hour or so.

Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 04:12 PM   #24
eppersonm16
Registered Member

What kind of lighting are you running and at what intensity and spectrum?
thanks,

eppersonm16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 05:49 PM   #25
clorox
Registered Member

This is cool.
From personal experience, having had 20 clowns with gigantea anemones, try to get bubble tips as large as you can find. Those 55 baby clowns will grow to about 1.5~2" pretty quickly and will be constantly 'rubbing' 24/7 on their hosts.

You will notice over time that tentacles in the center of the anemones will begin wearing out and disappear due to the constant activity of the fish. If this is a long-term plan it is something to keep in mind. Your approach is correct though, giving the clowns lots of anemones to roam around is the way to go.

clorox is offline   Reply With Quote