Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2018, 02:32 PM   #1
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Dosing phosphates and nitrates

Hi my coral qt is in desperate need of the above.

My nitrates read zero on salifert test kit and phosphates 0.009 on hanna low range checker. I have no fish in the tank only have 4 small turbo snails and two hermits. I do have a bit of hair algae which is I believe contributed in taking out the nutrients. This has been remove during water change tonight.

I can tell in the colours of my sps frags, especially in my limeberry Monti frag the colours are becoming pale. Other than that they hare happy full polyp extension all the time.

Should I leave the tank now to naturally build up nutrients I. E with the cuc waste or proceed with dosing?

I think I need the nutrients pretty quickly to prevent further issues.

What products would I use to increase nutrients?

What are the dosage rules etc?

Thanks

Last edited by fishkeeprian; 04/17/2018 at 12:53 AM.
fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 09:27 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd probably just add a bit of fish food. It will have a wide range of nutrients. If that leads to issues, you could add a bit of inorganic nitrate or phosphate to the feeding regime. The clean-up crew will need some food to stay alive, in any case.

Unread 04/19/2018, 12:04 PM   #3
clevername
Registered Member

come on over and take my waste water after a change....

your in a small percentage group

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 01:36 PM   #4
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Occasionally I dose Seachem Flourish Phosphate. They have a good calculator on their website. You must raise it very slowly to prevent problems.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 01:31 AM   #5
homer1475
Registered Member

I'm more or less having the same issue ATM, no fish, and a high coral load. Nitrates and phosphates have been 0 for about 2 months now(NYOS and Salifert for NO3, hanna ULR for PO4). Corals mostly look good, but very pale looking compared to when I had fish and had some nitrate and phosphate.

Of course other parameters are rock solid. 8.2 ALK, 420 CAL, 1350 mag.

I'm certainly not going to increase my bioload anytime soon, or soon enough to make a difference. I do feed my corals 3 times a week a mixture of PE mysis, small chunk of LRS, and a couple heaping spoonfuls of reef chili, which do not seem to be adding any no3 or po4(or enough that it's making a difference). So what are my options for dosing nitrate and phosphates? I do have to clean my glass every other day so there must be some, but not enough for the corals to use, or to show on a test kit.

Would seachem flourish phosphates, and flourish nitrogen be a good place to start? I know I have seen potassium nitrate mentioned a few times, so I'm not sure where to start?

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 10:20 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

You could use the SeaChem supplements, or go DIY. It's a personal choice. There's potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate available, along with trisodium phosphate.