Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2017, 08:13 AM   #1
Augster
Registered Member

Question JBJ 45 Rimless + Pair of Tunze 8850's

I'm just starting off in this hobby with a simple and compact (minimal external clutter) reef setup based on the JBJ 45 rimless.

The submersible, controllable Tunze 8850's seem the perfect fit for my quest to keep everything within confines of the tank itself as I plan on a custom-made plexiglass top. Since the 8850 is rated for up to 15G reef tanks, I think a pair or three controlled by a Tunze 7097 would be fine for my needs.

Any suggestions on what type of corals would be able to thrive in this setup?

Current Tank Info: JBJ 45, 20 pounds Pukani
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2017, 08:43 AM   #2
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Are you going to mount the tunze 8850 fixtures on the back or on the plexiglass top. If you are mounting them on the back or sides than low light corals like zoas, palys, Xenia, toadstools and finger leathers will go in the middle, and corals that need a little higher light like euphillia, elegance corals, and other LPS will go on the sides where PAR is the highest. You will not be able to keep SPS with led’s but you might be able to get a way with a birdsnest coral (that is if you are dosing calcium and alkalinity). If you are just going to stick with soft corals than you can get away with hand dosing cal and alk but if you want to try some of the lower light SPS such as birdsnest and montipora than you will likely need a dosing setups with pumps and resoivoirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon rimless saltwater reef tank and many more
fabulousfavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2017, 08:55 AM   #3
Augster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousfavia View Post
Are you going to mount the tunze 8850 fixtures on the back or on the plexiglass top.
On the back; I want to keep the sides and top free of everything as possible. Which means mounting a current pump(s) inside the tank on the back wall.

I'm investigating what type of stand I will get (looking at re-purposing used media/entertainment cabinets or similar) or make in order to determine if I have enough space for a remote skimmer in a sump/refugium alongside an ATO.

Current Tank Info: JBJ 45, 20 pounds Pukani
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2017, 04:36 PM   #4
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

I have this light in a 14gl bio cube it works fantastic for any softies or LPS corals and I imagine it would be good for a nem as well. I have tries SPS and not sure if its the cheap filtration only filter floss or the light but its a no go for SPS. I have my light mounted in the center of the tank submerged just far enough to conceal it.

You will love how they are controlled Just take the magnet across the top this will turn on the different light then slide it back and forth to adjust the intensity of each light spectrum.

Mark

Mark Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote