Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/30/2016, 07:12 PM   #1526
sflorlando
Registered Member

Base diameter is over 8 inches wide.

sflorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2016, 09:44 PM   #1527
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I guess I am wrong, sorry I do have the I-tech 200 model in my sump.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2016, 12:32 AM   #1528
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsco View Post
From John's specs:

Model Overall Height* Foot Print% Cone Base
100 22" (+3/8") 8 1/2" x 6 1/4" 6"
200 22 3/4" (+3/8") 11 1/4" x 8 1/2" 8"
400 23 3/4" (+3/8") 12 5/8" x 10" 10"
"Super Beast" (custom) 48" 18" x 30" 12"
Here's the specs

Unread 12/31/2016, 08:39 AM   #1529
sflorlando
Registered Member

Great. Good to know.

Its weird to me this isnt selling in my local area. The skimmer was $400, upgraded pump $250, neck cleaner and skimmate locker were $150 each. Didnt think $500 was too much to ask. Maybe I'll just keep it, knowing i will go back into the hobby with a big tank again.

sflorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2016, 11:24 AM   #1530
moondoggy4
Registered Member

They are really popular in Florida, and they have almost a 100% satisfaction rating I do not remember hearing any complaints about these skimmers. I bought mine in April of 09.

Unread 12/31/2016, 03:36 PM   #1531
Duality
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
They are really popular in Florida, and they have almost a 100% satisfaction rating I do not remember hearing any complaints about these skimmers. I bought mine in April of 09.
I love my itech200. I even bought a second when I put up a 300 gallon and ran two 200s on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorlando View Post
Great. Good to know.

Its weird to me this isnt selling in my local area. The skimmer was $400, upgraded pump $250, neck cleaner and skimmate locker were $150 each. Didnt think $500 was too much to ask. Maybe I'll just keep it, knowing i will go back into the hobby with a big tank again.
I'm in cali and when I sold my second 200 I posted it for $250 obo. I ended up letting it go for $120. They are a great skimmer but the sad part is there not widely know anymore and the Reefer's in socal want skimmers that make them look like a pimp. So they drop mad cash on bubble kings, Royal exclusive vortex, and atb. Where the itech cone was like one of the first competitors to the atb.

Duality is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2016, 06:36 PM   #1532
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Yeah the skimmer are super high quality and with the Tunze pump are well balanced.

Unread 01/22/2017, 07:13 AM   #1533
Duality
Registered Member

Well after my 2nd tunze in 6 years cord split I decided to go a different route. I got a pretty good deal on a skimz DC-5000 and decided to use this on my i-Tech 200. I installed the pump on Friday night. I'm still trying to fine tune it tho. I'm thinking I'm going to have to make the inlet ones a tad bit bigger. I'm thinking of drilling it open a bit to allow a 1" tube inlet. Here's a few pics so far

Unread 01/22/2017, 11:49 AM   #1534
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^Looks like a perfect match.

Unread 03/22/2017, 12:59 PM   #1535
Molter
Registered Member

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here.
I recently got an I-Tech 100 powered by the Tunze Hydrofoamer and I cannot for the life of me get anything to work right.
First, the only way it won't almost immediately fill the collection cup with water is if I hold the base of the skimmer a few inches below the waterline.
Beyond that, it pushes an unreal amount of microbubbles it of the drain, which naturally fills my tank with them. (No bueno).
The person I got it from says it needs to be six to seven inches below the waterline and recommended that I just put a sponge in the drain and run it for three to four days which will then cause it to break in and work right, but I'm worried that won't fix it and that I will have been spent 3 to 4 days pumping my tank with microbubbles.

Has anyone dealt with this before or have any ideas on how to fix this?

Molter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 10:55 PM   #1536
Duality
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molter View Post
Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here.

I recently got an I-Tech 100 powered by the Tunze Hydrofoamer and I cannot for the life of me get anything to work right.

First, the only way it won't almost immediately fill the collection cup with water is if I hold the base of the skimmer a few inches below the waterline.

Beyond that, it pushes an unreal amount of microbubbles it of the drain, which naturally fills my tank with them. (No bueno).

The person I got it from says it needs to be six to seven inches below the waterline and recommended that I just put a sponge in the drain and run it for three to four days which will then cause it to break in and work right, but I'm worried that won't fix it and that I will have been spent 3 to 4 days pumping my tank with microbubbles.

Has anyone dealt with this before or have any ideas on how to fix this?

The guy u got it from is correct. These skimmers are very well built. It needs to break in for a few days. I would leave the skimmer cup off for a few days while it's breaking in. The water level should sit right above the exit hole. I'd say about a 1/4 of an inch above the T PVC. If u take a mesh bag like the ones u would use for a media bag and ziptie it around the exit line it will reduce the micro bubble a lot to even zero.
My itech is extremely efficient that if it was off for a few days then it would take a few hours even a day to break its self back in. I would have to usually open the valve all the way and let it run for a while till I could dial it in again.
Ur skimmer is going nuts cause there's a lot of proteins and excessive nutrients in the water column and with the combination of the skimmer still being smooth and clean inside the bubble just shoot up out the top. I'd even say put it at the proper level and put a air line needle valve at the Venturi inlet and limit the amount of air the skimmer will draw in. Then let it run like that for a week at minimum. After the skimmer breaks in let it take in all the air it wants.
These are great skimmers. I love my 200 and wish I could find a 400.

Unread 03/23/2017, 07:19 AM   #1537
brownsps
Registered Member

Do they still make these?

brownsps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 09:17 AM   #1538
Duality
Registered Member

I-Tech Skimmer Club .

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsps View Post
Do they still make these?

No. John stoped manufacturing them many years back. Each itech was made to order. To this day these are the only skimmers that were ever made with the carbon lid feature like mine has. It's a great add on if your running ozone in the skimmer and helps to eliminate the smell skimate can make.

Unread 03/23/2017, 02:44 PM   #1539
brownsps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality View Post
No. John stoped manufacturing them many years back. Each itech was made to order. To this day these are the only skimmers that were ever made with the carbon lid feature like mine has. It's a great add on if your running ozone in the skimmer and helps to eliminate the smell skimate can make.
I didn't think so, was a really good product that competed with ATB at the time. I didn't know about the lids....very cool. I also find many skimmer manu's don't use a heavy enough lid.

brownsps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 09:15 PM   #1540
moondoggy4
Registered Member

The I-tech 200 does not have a heavy lid, Reef Dynamics has heavy lids.

Unread 03/24/2017, 02:42 PM   #1541
Crowed
Registered Member

Are I-tech skimmers originally came with hydrofoamer pump? They mount it without stand? I ask because i have 9420 model. Love that pump, lots of air, low watts, just wish that someone make proper stand for it(tunze? , i keep mine on rubber sheet..

Crowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 05:03 PM   #1542
Duality
Registered Member

I-Tech Skimmer Club .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowed View Post
Are I-tech skimmers originally came with hydrofoamer pump? They mount it without stand? I ask because i have 9420 model. Love that pump, lots of air, low watts, just wish that someone make proper stand for it(tunze? , i keep mine on rubber sheet..

My 200 came with a 9420 and it had no stand either. I know John did use a Laguna motor block with a modified mixing assembly. The Laguna had a stand Here's one of them

Last edited by Duality; 03/24/2017 at 05:09 PM.
Unread 03/27/2017, 09:22 PM   #1543
Molter
Registered Member

Quote:
The guy u got it from is correct. These skimmers are very well built. It needs to break in for a few days. I would leave the skimmer cup off for a few days while it's breaking in. The water level should sit right above the exit hole. I'd say about a 1/4 of an inch above the T PVC. If u take a mesh bag like the ones u would use for a media bag and ziptie it around the exit line it will reduce the micro bubble a lot to even zero.
My itech is extremely efficient that if it was off for a few days then it would take a few hours even a day to break its self back in. I would have to usually open the valve all the way and let it run for a while till I could dial it in again.
Ur skimmer is going nuts cause there's a lot of proteins and excessive nutrients in the water column and with the combination of the skimmer still being smooth and clean inside the bubble just shoot up out the top. I'd even say put it at the proper level and put a air line needle valve at the Venturi inlet and limit the amount of air the skimmer will draw in. Then let it run like that for a week at minimum. After the skimmer breaks in let it take in all the air it wants.
These are great skimmers. I love my 200 and wish I could find a 400.
Hey, thanks for the response.
I haven't had a chance to do much in-between my first post and now, so sorry for the delay.
I took a video of what I'm seeing.
I just really can't think this is normal and it'll just even out over time.
Hopefully I'm wrong?

Molter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 01:57 AM   #1544
Duality
Registered Member

Where's the dial at on the adjustment tube? Here's mine

Mine is right at half way open. The white spot all the way to the right is all the way open and the dial all the way to the left is closed.
Also can u get a pic of the tunze venture also? I've got a feeling maybe it's been modified and it's sucking in way to much water and not enough air. Here was my tunze venture.

I did modify it with a larger air inlet tube tho so I could get more air in it.

Unread 03/28/2017, 02:46 AM   #1545
Crowed
Registered Member

Now i want to modify mine too. How old is your tunze? They had different models before, newer suck more air and less water.
Did you measure air draw with larger inlet?

Crowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 08:57 AM   #1546
ichthyman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molter View Post
Hey, thanks for the response.
I took a video of what I'm seeing.
I just really can't think this is normal and it'll just even out over time.
Hopefully I'm wrong?
No, it is not working as intended.

Quote:
Also can u get a pic of the tunze venture also? I've got a feeling maybe it's been modified and it's sucking in way to much water and not enough air.
You are most likely correct.

As always, THANK YOU for the support.

“Because I'm hard you will not like me, but the more you hate me the more you will learn!” – Gunnery Sgt. Hartman

Current Tank Info: Way more than yours.
ichthyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 01:36 PM   #1547
Duality
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowed View Post
Now i want to modify mine too. How old is your tunze? They had different models before, newer suck more air and less water.
Did you measure air draw with larger inlet?

The hydrofoamer came with this itech so I'd say it's and older version. But I did have to replace the motor block twice. Do to the cord splitting away from the block both times. Each hydrofoamer lasted about 2 to 3 years for me before the cord would start to separate from the block. This last time it melted the motor block down while I was at work. I had it set up for so long with out a cleaning of the itch body I had no clue the cord had even started to do this. Lucky I had the pump plugged into my aqua controller DC8 cause it blow to fuse on the DC before it could cause and real damage. After going through 3 motor blocks in a 6y span I've given up on the hydrofoamer pumps and switched to a skimz DC pump. I'm really happy with the new pump too. I'm only running the pump at 40% and it more then enough power for the itech200 body size.

Unread 03/29/2017, 04:25 PM   #1548
Duality
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyman View Post

As always, THANK YOU for the support.

Thank you for a great product.
I know you have heard that many times. But my I-tech is the only skimmer I'll never sell.

Unread 03/29/2017, 08:41 PM   #1549
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^Yeap original owner here as well. Thank you

Unread 10/28/2017, 03:42 PM   #1550
mike7357
Registered Member

Can you Id this I-Tech skimmer for sale

Can someone help me ID this skimmer?

I'm attempting to sell it for a friend who's had it in his closet for a while and has no plans to use it.

The skimmer is 15.5" tall without the collection cup, 24" tall with it.
The collection cut is 8" in diameter and the base of the cone is approx 9" (est).

I don't believe the pump is Tunze and I don't recall what brand it is.

Thanks for any help! Any offers would be appreciated. It runs well, and I'd be happy to take it to FAOIS if you'd like to arrange for an inspection/evaluation if he even offers that service?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg I-Tech Skimmer.jpg (33.7 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg I-Tech Pump.jpg (34.3 KB, 419 views)
mike7357 is offline   Reply With Quote