Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2008, 07:56 PM   #201
MCsaxmaster
Registered Member

I aim to please

-Dawkins

Current Tank Info: ...but, but, the ocean is right there...
MCsaxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2008, 11:48 PM   #202
khoivo1
Registered Member

thanks alot,,i learned some thing today ,,,
any way what is acceptible range of
ALK?? 7.0dkh-11dkh??
CAl?? 360--450???
mag?? 1260-1400???
is that right?? thanks

khoivo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2008, 12:01 AM   #203
MCsaxmaster
Registered Member

Yeah, that's probably not bad. For magnesium I'd shoot for right around NSW levels: 1250-1350 ppm seems appropriate (NSW ~1285 ppm). There's no reason to think higher magnesium is actually doing anything good, while low magnesium can cause excessive abiotic CaCO3 precipitation problems.

For calcium I'd shoot for at or perhaps just slightly higher than NSW: 400-450 ppm seems appropriate (NSW ~ 412 ppm). There's very little reason to think that calcium higher than that actually encourages faster calcification in most corals. Below 400 ppm, however, you may start running into calcium limitation of calcification, but calcification is only reduced slowly from ~400 down to maybe ~300 ppm. From 300 to 200 ppm calcifcation drops off much faster. Below 200 ppm calcification drops like a rock.

I'd maintain a minimum of 7 dKH total alkalinity (assuming normal borate levels). NSW has ~6.6 dKH total alk. Critters do just fine in that, but most certainly calcify faster with higher alk. I've generally had the best success maintaining TA in the neighborhood of 9-12 dKH.

Oh, and the NSW parameters all assume standard sea water (35 ppt, 25 C, 1 atm, etc.).

Chris

-Dawkins

Unread 06/17/2008, 11:49 AM   #204
Marshall Haith
Registered Member

I don't think this issue has been discussed.

Problem: annoying buildup of what looks like calcium precipitate on glass (white chalky stuff that is hard to scrape off), mainly, but not exclusively, on sides where the flow from the power heads is directed and on front middle glass where the flow from the two heads meets.

Parameters:
50 g tank, 5 g sump
ph around 8.0
calc around 325
dkh around 6.5 to 7.0
mag at around 1280-1300
water changes of 8% or so/week
light coral load

Trying to raise calc to around 425 without much luck. I'm using 2-part solution, adding 100 ml of calc/day and 100 ml of buffer. These are added in 50 ml doses. each in about a half liter of water, to sump through a gravity drip at around 2 drips/sec.

The values are around 2.5X what I think Randy suggests for this size and type of tank, but the calcium level isn't changing much (after about 2 gals of mix have been added over several weeks). The precipitate is terribly annoying and time consuming to remove and suggests that I may be adding too much. I've checked the calk, ph and dkh measures against store measures and my son's kits.

The heater glass did have a substantial buildup, but I cleaned it two weeks ago, and it doesn't seem to be accumulating a film very quickly. I haven't checked the pumps internally, but they don't look bad at all on the outside.

Befuddled.

Marshall Haith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 01:30 PM   #205
MCsaxmaster
Registered Member

Huh--could you post a picture? Accumulating preferentially in areas of strong flow sems strange.

cj

-Dawkins

Unread 06/17/2008, 06:25 PM   #206
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
Bertoni came up with an interesting observation: if you are supplementing [an dI hope I'm quoting him right] with 2-part or Kent's or whatever, you're actually adding some mg.

If you are supplementing with kalk, you are not, because there is no mg in kalk.

So if the corals are using mg, and you are not supplying it via your supplement, the net effect is that you are losing mg and need to supplement more.

That may reconcile Randy with Bertoni. Bertoni makes those comments in the thread I linked to above.
I agree with your statements.
Corals actually don't use that much magnesium--regular water changes with the appropriate salt mix can help keep the mag up

Look at the differences in levels in the different mixes that Billybeau has put together

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1287118

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 12:20 PM   #207
Marshall Haith
Registered Member

calcium on glass

Huh--could you post a picture? Accumulating preferentially in areas of strong flow seems strange.

c j

Thanks Chris. Posted are a couple of photos, the closeup being of the center front glass. You are right. The calc buildup is actually to the side of the powerheads and below them, not in the output stream, so the water is pretty slow-moving there. In front, the output streams from the two powerheads meet, so they cancel one another, and the flow is pretty slow there also.

mh

Unread 06/18/2008, 12:37 PM   #208
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: calcium on glass

Quote:
Originally posted by Marshall Haith
Huh--could you post a picture? Accumulating preferentially in areas of strong flow seems strange.

c j

Thanks Chris. Posted are a couple of photos, the closeup being of the center front glass. You are right. The calc buildup is actually to the side of the powerheads and below them, not in the output stream, so the water is pretty slow-moving there. In front, the output streams from the two powerheads meet, so they cancel one another, and the flow is pretty slow there also.

mh

To Reef Central

could you possible take out an album on www.photobucket.com
you upload your pictures to your album
under each pic is four codes
you use the fourth code----the "img" code to copy and paste into your posts

You get a much bigger and clearer picture when doing that then using the gallery here.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 06/18/2008, 04:59 PM   #209
Marshall Haith
Registered Member

calcium precipitation

Quote:
could you possible take out an album on www.photobucket.com

Ok, here they are.

mh

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 06/18/2008, 05:04 PM   #210
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sara B
I do use a Salifert Magnesium test kit. I also run a Kalk reactor on both systems and drip with top-off water 24/7. The reactors stir the Kalk 4 times a day for 15 minutes at a time. I have a basement fishroom and my PH remains in the range of 7.8 to 8.0 as the A/C running all summer has an effect on it's level. In the fall and winter its more in the 8.2 range as I have a vent that's open for fresh air in the room.
had the same problem last summer. I keep a window open in the basement 24/7. That kept not following below 8.0.This spring I added a second 37 gal fuge--that keeps the pH at 8.19
If you can't keep the window open vent the skimmer to the outside--that will make a difference

Unread 06/18/2008, 05:08 PM   #211
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: calcium precipitation

Quote:
Originally posted by Marshall Haith
Ok, here they are.

mh

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
much better

I would assume your low dkH values are behind the precipitation
You should be running 10-11.5 dkH

Unread 06/19/2008, 10:57 AM   #212
Marshall Haith
Registered Member

Quote:
Hmm. I was using this article by Randy Holmes-Farley as a guide: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php. The article indicates that increasing alk exacerbates the problem of calc precipitation, so I was shooting for the lower end of the operating range for alk.

mh

Unread 06/19/2008, 11:27 AM   #213
JB NY
Registered Member

I agree, I've never had ca precipitation with low alk, only high.

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2008, 12:48 PM   #214
fishdoc11
catch and release

Me too, only high

FWIW in the pics above it looks a bit more like some sort of coraline (or something else) than Ca precipitation.

Chris

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon mixed reef
fishdoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2008, 02:29 PM   #215
Aquarist007
Registered Member

but at what levels did you get the precipitation?

IMO keeping the alk between 8-11 is better then keeping it in the low 7's?
I am sure Randy mentioned something about low alkalinity

Unread 06/19/2008, 03:30 PM   #216
Marshall Haith
Registered Member

Actually, I've had the dkh in the 8-10 range, and I had the same problem.

mh

Unread 06/19/2008, 04:05 PM   #217
MCsaxmaster
Registered Member

Marshall,

How are you measuring pH?

Huh-uh. All else equal (e.g., pH, temperature, precense of nucleation sites, etc.), with lower carbonate alkalinity you'll have lower rates of CaCO3 precipitation.

The rate of precipitation depends mostly on saturation state (assuming there are available nucleation sites, which is probably a good assumption in an aquarium full of pieces of CaCO3 rock/sand ). Saturation state, at a given temperature, salinity, pressure, is described by:

omega = [Ca++][CO3=]/Ksp*

where [Ca++] is the calcium concentation, [CO3=] is the carbonate concetration, and Ksp* is the solubility product (adjusted for use in sea water). If calcium goes up, satuation state goes up proportionally. If carbonate goes up, saturation state goes up proportionally. Carbonate concentration is controlled by carbonate alkalinity and pH (all else equal). The higher the alkalinity, all else equal, the more carbonate there is. The higher the pH, all else equal, the more carbonate there is. If both alkalinity and pH go up, carbonate goes up more still. You get the idea.

-Dawkins

Unread 06/19/2008, 04:24 PM   #218
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MCsaxmaster
Marshall,

How are you measuring pH?

Huh-uh. All else equal (e.g., pH, temperature, precense of nucleation sites, etc.), with lower carbonate alkalinity you'll have lower rates of CaCO3 precipitation.

The rate of precipitation depends mostly on saturation state (assuming there are available nucleation sites, which is probably a good assumption in an aquarium full of pieces of CaCO3 rock/sand ). Saturation state, at a given temperature, salinity, pressure, is described by:

omega = [Ca++][CO3=]/Ksp*

where [Ca++] is the calcium concentation, [CO3=] is the carbonate concetration, and Ksp* is the solubility product (adjusted for use in sea water). If calcium goes up, satuation state goes up proportionally. If carbonate goes up, saturation state goes up proportionally. Carbonate concentration is controlled by carbonate alkalinity and pH (all else equal). The higher the alkalinity, all else equal, the more carbonate there is. The higher the pH, all else equal, the more carbonate there is. If both alkalinity and pH go up, carbonate goes up more still. You get the idea.
gottcha---thanks very much for the detailed answer

Unread 06/20/2008, 04:00 PM   #219
gary faulkner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
gottcha---thanks very much for the detailed answer

Capn,

Sounds Greek to me too.

gary faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2008, 05:57 PM   #220
MCsaxmaster
Registered Member

Greek, geek, whatever

-Dawkins

Unread 06/20/2008, 06:00 PM   #221
fishdoc11
catch and release

Geek here

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon mixed reef
fishdoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2008, 07:38 PM   #222
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gary faulkner
Capn,

Sounds Greek to me too.
I wasn't kidding---I did follow the drift--Mcsaxmaster does explain chemistry well

Unread 07/31/2008, 05:39 AM   #223
Zedar
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MCsaxmaster

I'd maintain a minimum of 7 dKH total alkalinity (assuming normal borate levels). NSW has ~6.6 dKH total alk. Critters do just fine in that, but most certainly calcify faster with higher alk. I've generally had the best success maintaining TA in the neighborhood of 9-12 dKH.

Oh, and the NSW parameters all assume standard sea water (35 ppt, 25 C, 1 atm, etc.).

Chris
What is your opinion on ULNS? People that maintain ULNS through carbon dosing have experienced basal STN when running their systems above 8 dkh.

I myself run one of these systems and have experienced this first hand.

Zedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2008, 11:04 PM   #224
MCsaxmaster
Registered Member

ULNS?

-Dawkins

Unread 08/02/2008, 10:32 AM   #225
Zedar
Premium Member

dbl post

Last edited by Zedar; 08/02/2008 at 10:41 AM.
Zedar is offline   Reply With Quote