Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/27/2010, 05:28 PM   #51
SolidDetail808
Unofficial #1 BJ Penn fan

Where in the U.A.E. are you? I'm in the USAF and I was deployed to Al Dhafra AB in Abu Dhabi back in 2003. From all the places I've been your country is the nicest country I've been in. I got to go to Dubai and visit the Water park and see the hotel shaped like a sail and it was spectacular. If I ever get deployed to U.A.E. again I definately need to see your tank in person!!!

BTW- UFC 112 will be in Abu Dhabi featuring Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort for the Middleweight title and BJ Penn vs. Frankie Edgar for the Lightweight title!!!!!!!!

Sorry for going off topic.

**BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar, 10 April in Abu Dhabi**
-----------------------JUST SCRAP!----------------------

Current Tank Info: 12g Nano w/ 2 gallon sump- 8" RBTA- 2 Semi Picasso Clowns- Yasha Goby- Mandarin Goby- Zoa/paly dominated
SolidDetail808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010, 05:51 PM   #52
palmer373
Registered Member

ok my only worry about a skimmer is how much skimate youd pull out and where would you put it? otherwise... THATS BIGGER THAN MY HOUSE! :P

palmer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010, 07:01 PM   #53
ReeferChick85
Moved On

This is gonna be a sweet tank!! I would love to see this in person

ReeferChick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010, 07:14 PM   #54
fishoutofwater
Registered Member

i am amazed. OMG is an understatement. I will keep this on my watch list. good luck with the build.

fishoutofwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010, 07:43 PM   #55
treszoks
Premium Member

If you do a closed loop you'd have the biggest sump of anyone ever: the Persian Gulf.

treszoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010, 07:50 PM   #56
rort
Registered Member

you just got the southern california crowd! lol

the build looks GREAT! Keep up the amazing work

Current Tank Info: Aquanano 60
rort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010, 08:22 PM   #57
asmodeus
SKIMMER WHORE

amazing man i was there too in 2008 I was deployed in Afghanistan and
stayed there for 3 days waiting to come back to Canada. beautiful country and Hot too 55C with humidity at 95% crazy. the skimmer thing thou why would you have a skimmer use the gulf as your return pump in and out and you willnever need a skimer and your tests will be 100% accurate all the time.. no guessing work there.

Old 01/27/2010, 08:34 PM   #58
adammreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyBiz View Post
Epoxy is OK but if you really want to run with the big dogs you should use Polyurea.
Dries in seconds
Can withstand chemicals
WAY more mills then epoxy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjXX4S437To
Nice! I lilke this video, seems really strong.

Current Tank Info: 210
adammreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010, 08:46 PM   #59
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyBiz View Post
Epoxy is OK but if you really want to run with the big dogs you should use Polyurea.
Dries in seconds
Can withstand chemicals
WAY more mills then epoxy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjXX4S437To
impressive! who carries this product in the US and what is the cost compared to epoxy?

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010, 10:03 PM   #60
elijaher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
impressive! who carries this product in the US and what is the cost compared to epoxy?
+1 that really amazing.

elijaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010, 10:56 PM   #61
FishyBiz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Well, the first person that comes to mind is a fellow PDCA board member: Don Dancey at Innovative Waterproofing http://www.waterproofingcontractor.com/
They travel around the US and do this type of coating on underground pipes with robots.Techno Coatings is another big player.

Cost would depend on type of material and millage thickness. There are a couple companies that make this type of product. Sherwin Williams is one of them. You have to be trained and need heavy equipment.

You all know the term "Rhino Liner" for the bed of your trucks? That is also a polyurea coating. Its cool stuff.

Current Tank Info: 20 Gallon Rimless
FishyBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2010, 12:25 AM   #62
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidDetail808 View Post
Where in the U.A.E. are you? I'm in the USAF and I was deployed to Al Dhafra AB in Abu Dhabi back in 2003. From all the places I've been your country is the nicest country I've been in. I got to go to Dubai and visit the Water park and see the hotel shaped like a sail and it was spectacular. If I ever get deployed to U.A.E. again I definately need to see your tank in person!!!

BTW- UFC 112 will be in Abu Dhabi featuring Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort for the Middleweight title and BJ Penn vs. Frankie Edgar for the Lightweight title!!!!!!!!

It's located in the smallest of the 7 emirates (states), Ajman. The hotel shaped like a sail is called Burj AlArab (The Arabian Tower). Since you were here in 2003 you've missed the opening of Burj Khalifa (Khalifa Tower) a.k.a. Burj Dubai. It is the tallest building in the world right now. Here is a photo I took:

BTW if you want to come see the thank you'll have to pay the entrance fee , j/k.

nahham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2010, 12:35 AM   #63
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rort View Post
you just got the southern california crowd! lol

the build looks GREAT! Keep up the amazing work
I lived in Los Angeles for 2 years and what really got me interested was my visit to Aquarium of the Pacific. I also visited L'aquarium De Barcelona (Barcelona Aquarium) which got me sold.

They've also recently opened Dubai Aquarium here as well and its amazing, you see it while walking through Dubai Mall (currently the biggest mall in the world. It is just not as private as ours

Old 01/28/2010, 03:00 AM   #64
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer373 View Post
ok my only worry about a skimmer is how much skimate youd pull out and where would you put it? otherwise... THATS BIGGER THAN MY HOUSE! :P
mmm .. you are thinking way ahead

I'll be happy to get it up and running and then deal with problems that arise if they and as they arise.

Old 01/28/2010, 10:54 AM   #65
slick6669
Science and Honor!

You really did get all the so cal crowd!! And that thing is amazing!! You guesstimate two months that's fast! I'm subscribing!

slick6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2010, 11:16 AM   #66
tntneon
SPSahollic

-Whaaaw nahhan , that`s some awesome build
Please keep us updated about this unique build.

-What kind of lighting you gonna use , i presume you gonna use some natural lighting too ?

greetingzz tntneon

Current Tank Info: 154 G SPS dominated + 25 G sump ; lighting : 210 W LED XPG/XRE (sunrise) + 150 W T5 (bl+ , 15K , fiji , bl+) ; skimmer : Royal Exclusive supermarine 200 ; BM 3-Ch dosing pump (CA/ ALk and top-off) ; tunze 6085 circulation
tntneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2010, 11:42 AM   #67
barnabus's gimp
Moved On

Put a mantis shrimp in there!!

barnabus's gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2010, 11:43 AM   #68
Beaun
It's pronounced Bone

Quote:

Have to say I am excited about this night as well, two belts on the line, although neither will be going anywhere...

"The only legitimate use of a computer is to play games."
-Eugene Jarvis

Current Tank Info: None
Beaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2010, 11:43 AM   #69
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntneon View Post
-Whaaaw nahhan , that`s some awesome build
Please keep us updated about this unique build.

-What kind of lighting you gonna use , i presume you gonna use some natural lighting too ?

greetingzz tntneon

Hello tntneon,

It is going to be mostly natural lighting. We also have wiring for lights inside the tank but it is more for showcasing the aquarium than helping growth; I'm hoping the sun will take care of that for me

Old 01/28/2010, 11:49 AM   #70
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabus's gimp View Post
Put a mantis shrimp in there!!
If I can find one I will surely do. I'm not sure what will be in the tank at this moment. I will be concentrating on fish from the local environment; maybe a couple of barracudas? I've been catching a lot lately while fishing.

Old 01/28/2010, 11:55 AM   #71
sedor
Registered Member

I would assume the sun is going to take care of the growth aspect of the lighting correct? All you should need is supplemental to make everything look nice and pretty. Still, that would be a daunting task because you don't want to cover the entire surface. I think most public aquariums use spot halides. Can you tell i'm speaking way beyond my comfort level

Old 01/28/2010, 12:33 PM   #72
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedor View Post
I would assume the sun is going to take care of the growth aspect of the lighting correct? All you should need is supplemental to make everything look nice and pretty. Still, that would be a daunting task because you don't want to cover the entire surface. I think most public aquariums use spot halides. Can you tell i'm speaking way beyond my comfort level
Don't worry about it, I'm the one most uncomfortable here, but hay we all try our best. Currently I have outlets within the tank, meaning inside it, where I'm planning to install water-proof lighting, but if need be I'll install lights under the over-the-aquarium-seating-area thing

Old 01/28/2010, 03:53 PM   #73
cabinboy
Registered Member

Wow incredible vision you have there,can't wait to see it finished.

cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2010, 04:18 PM   #74
phox202
Registered Member

Quote:

Small world! I was in Al Dhafra in april-june or so in 2004. AEF 7/8

Loved that place

Current Tank Info: in the works.
phox202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2010, 04:24 PM   #75
Kevin McG
Registered Member

Man you people over there just to everything right!! Can't wait to see this evolve.....subscribed!

Kevin McG is offline   Reply With Quote