Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2014, 11:46 AM   #1
arinrb
Registered Member

Scooter Blenny and Dragonets

So I am conflicted, I think Mandarins are among the most beautiful fish and one of the two I designed my tank for. On the other hand I have recently fallen in love with the scooter blenny. I would like to keep a pair of mandarins and at least one scooter blenny. My question is; will they get along. I have a 90 gallon display with a 34 gallon refugium. My tank is just getting live rock now, so the stocking list is still theoretical, but currently consists of two black and white clowns, two drat fist, a pair of yellow headed jawfish, a pair of neon gobies, a pair of mandarins, and a small tang. Any advice or thoughts would be helpful.

arinrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2014, 12:06 PM   #2
mkoop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arinrb View Post
So I am conflicted, I think Mandarins are among the most beautiful fish and one of the two I designed my tank for. On the other hand I have recently fallen in love with the scooter blenny. I would like to keep a pair of mandarins and at least one scooter blenny. My question is; will they get along. I have a 90 gallon display with a 34 gallon refugium. My tank is just getting live rock now, so the stocking list is still theoretical, but currently consists of two black and white clowns, two drat fist, a pair of yellow headed jawfish, a pair of neon gobies, a pair of mandarins, and a small tang. Any advice or thoughts would be helpful.
I would not recommend adding 3 dragonets to a 90g system without supplementary feeding.

Id start here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ghlight=feeder

And introduce them slowly once your tank is established. Add them slowly and ensure they are eating supplemental before adding the next.

Current Tank Info: 180 mixed reef
mkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2014, 05:30 PM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

That size tank is pushing it for a pair of mandarins, but your saving grace may be that size of fuge.
Definitely hold off at least.
Today I just got a ruby red, and w/ some hesitation, since I do have a mandy pair, but mine is a 150g w/ a good fuge, and I hope I'm not pushing too much myself.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2014, 05:47 PM   #4
dragonfly1972
Registered Member

Once your tank and fuge are well established you would be fine with two, three is pushing it.
I have a 90 with a 20 gal display fuge and I have a mandarin and a scooter blenny. Both are fat and happy but I got lucky....both of mine eat frozen food also.

dragonfly1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2014, 10:38 AM   #5
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly1972 View Post
Once your tank and fuge are well established you would be fine with two, three is pushing it.
I have a 90 with a 20 gal display fuge and I have a mandarin and a scooter blenny. Both are fat and happy but I got lucky....both of mine eat frozen food also.
Somewhat cavalier and authoritative language. Let's keep it sciencey.

When I added my green mandarin, my scooter started to lose weight. Could be coincidence. Both eat pellets and mysis and cyclopeeze. Mandarin is fat, scooter is not. I think the Mandy may be out competing the scoot.

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed reef. F OSFF, Clingfish, M/F Leopards, M Mandy, Darwin Clown, Bullet Goby, Green Clown Goby, M/F Matted Files, Bluestripe Pipe, Tailspot Blenny, Canary Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Papua Toby Puffer, Snooty Maori Wrasse.
small alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2014, 10:38 AM   #6
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Also have two pipefish and two leopard wrasses. All doing great.

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed reef. F OSFF, Clingfish, M/F Leopards, M Mandy, Darwin Clown, Bullet Goby, Green Clown Goby, M/F Matted Files, Bluestripe Pipe, Tailspot Blenny, Canary Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Papua Toby Puffer, Snooty Maori Wrasse.
Unread 03/25/2014, 11:22 AM   #7
dragonfly1972
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by small alien View Post
Somewhat cavalier and authoritative language. Let's keep it sciencey.

When I added my green mandarin, my scooter started to lose weight. Could be coincidence. Both eat pellets and mysis and cyclopeeze. Mandarin is fat, scooter is not. I think the Mandy may be out competing the scoot.
Shaking my head......am I cavalier or authoritative? Your scooter may be thin due to the fact that you just listed 6 fish that are all pod eaters.

Arinrb, my point to you was that I have 2 in a 90 gal with a fuge and they are doing fine. I have a well established pod population and mine will also eat frozen food (which does help).
I did supplemental pod feedings until my pod population was strong enough on its own. Could you have 3....it may be possible. I would add one at a time and watch their health or be prepared to supplemental feed.
The sciencey part is simple, which I believe you already understand, they are pod eaters....without enough food they will starve.
You can do supplemental feedings (which can get expensive) or wait until your tank is well established.

That is my opinion on keeping this type of fish (which is my favorite) for the past 13 years.

Take into consideration all of the advice and opinions that you get on this forum(which is its intended use) and then make an informative decision that works best for you and your tank.

Happy Reefing!

Unread 03/25/2014, 01:30 PM   #8
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly1972 View Post
Shaking my head......am I cavalier or authoritative? Your scooter may be thin due to the fact that you just listed 6 fish that are all pod eaters.
Exactly what crossed my mind as well on all points given!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 03/25/2014, 01:40 PM   #9
ReeferBill
Registered Member

I know this is off topic but if you saw thread on a new type of Mandy scooter that was brighter red and more colorful than the red scooter you would fall in love with them. Search for the new red Mandy. Awesome. Now back to the three Mandy's in same tank. I also have a 38 gallon sump full of live rock so one Mandy is good in my 46 bow reef. I think two is pushing the limits and one will probably starve to death.

Unread 03/25/2014, 01:56 PM   #10
dragonfly1972
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferBill View Post
I know this is off topic but if you saw thread on a new type of Mandy scooter that was brighter red and more colorful than the red scooter you would fall in love with them. Search for the new red Mandy. Awesome. Now back to the three Mandy's in same tank. I also have a 38 gallon sump full of live rock so one Mandy is good in my 46 bow reef. I think two is pushing the limits and one will probably starve to death.
Ahhh...the absolutely stunning "ruby red" scooter blenny.
The only reason that I don't have one is that my scooter is a female and I haven't yet found a male ruby red for sale. I found one and it was being held for me for a few days til I could pick it up and he called to say that it didn't make it...dang!!
Ruby reds make me want to have a tank full of those buggers.

Arinrb...have you seen the ruby red scooters yet?

Unread 03/25/2014, 02:16 PM   #11
mkoop
Registered Member

+1 on the ruby reds, they are quite fantastic and have amazing personality to boot. I keep a ruby red with my pair of picturatus.

If you're interested:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2352172

Unread 03/25/2014, 09:11 PM   #12
arinrb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferBill View Post
I have seen those guys they are very cool.

Unread 03/25/2014, 09:13 PM   #13
arinrb
Registered Member

Thank you all for the input. I guess I will settle for one pair, unfortunately now I am not sure if I want Mandarins or Scooters...

Unread 03/26/2014, 09:58 AM   #14
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Dragonfly, please don't shake your head at me. I'm very experienced with pod eating fish and have had more than this in my tank at once. I may have pushed the limit with the Mandy or maybe the scooter is nearing the end of its life. I'm trying to give my experiences openly. Please don't mock me. Thanks.

Unread 03/26/2014, 10:39 AM   #15
davocean
Registered Member

^^ Uhm, in reading from my point of view it did appear you were first at mocking anothers experience/comment.
Yeah I agree, lets keep it "sciencey"

As for ruby red dragonette's, yeah pretty neat, so much so that I just got a pair, sure hope they come back out from rockwork!

Last edited by davocean; 03/26/2014 at 10:47 AM.
Unread 03/26/2014, 10:51 AM   #16
mkoop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
As for ruby red dragonette's, yeah pretty neat, so much so that I just got a pair, sure hope they come back out from rockwork!
Very cool!
Mine was super shy for the first few days I rarely saw him. Then he got comfortable grazing by the end of the week.

Unread 03/26/2014, 11:13 AM   #17
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoop View Post
Very cool!
Mine was super shy for the first few days I rarely saw him. Then he got comfortable grazing by the end of the week.
Well funny I just looked and at least my new female is out, so at least I'm seeing 40 of my $80 spent!lol
I bought the male two days ago, haven't seen him since, bought the female yesterday hoping she would coax him out, hopefully.
I just pulled out the biggest emerald crab I have ever seen and he was in that general area, I sure hope he didn't cause issues.
They are tiny little things.
I have been hesitating on ordering one thinking they would be pod competition, but after seeing them in person they are so small I don't think it's that much of a deal for my size system.
I really just wanted one male, it would be my luck to never see him again and have the female that I bought just for him, which means of course I will have to buy another male...

Unread 03/26/2014, 05:10 PM   #18
dragonfly1972
Registered Member

Every one that I have seen for sale is itty bitty. You got a good deal at $40, I haven't seen them less than $70 around me.
Good luck with them

Tags
mandarin, scooter blenny