Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2018, 01:19 PM   #1
Asco1104
Registered Member

RD3 keeps slowing down

Hi over the last couple of days I have noticed the water level drop in my wier.

Looking at the controller the pump wattage displayed keeps going up and down.
It drops from 80w to 69w then fluctuates up and down until it goes back up to 80w.

Last night it did it once but tonight it has done this twice now.

Any advice on this issue?

Cheers Tim

Asco1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 03:32 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asco1104 View Post
Hi over the last couple of days I have noticed the water level drop in my wier.

Looking at the controller the pump wattage displayed keeps going up and down.
It drops from 80w to 69w then fluctuates up and down until it goes back up to 80w.

Last night it did it once but tonight it has done this twice now.

Any advice on this issue?

Cheers Tim
How old is this pump? When was the last time you broke the pump completely down, removed the impeller, soaked everything in vinegar for several minutes that scrubbed it to clean it inside and out? If there is calcium buildup inside the motor or in the magnet cavity or in the support for the end of the shaft, the friction could cause the issue you are seeing. The first thread in this forum discusses cleaning of the RD3 skimmer pump but also applies to the RD3 flow pumps as far as cleaning. Post 2 doesn’t really apply since it shows a removable bearing that is only found in the red dragon 1 pumps but the general cleaning process for that thread (aside from removing the bearing) applies to all Red Dragon pumps including your RD3 80. I would suggest breaking the pump down and giving it a thorough cleaning inside and out.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Asco1104
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
How old is this pump? When was the last time you broke the pump completely down, removed the impeller, soaked everything in vinegar for several minutes that scrubbed it to clean it inside and out? If there is calcium buildup inside the motor or in the magnet cavity or in the support for the end of the shaft, the friction could cause the issue you are seeing. The first thread in this forum discusses cleaning of the RD3 skimmer pump but also applies to the RD3 flow pumps as far as cleaning. Post 2 doesn’t really apply since it shows a removable bearing that is only found in the red dragon 1 pumps but the general cleaning process for that thread (aside from removing the bearing) applies to all Red Dragon pumps including your RD3 80. I would suggest breaking the pump down and giving it a thorough cleaning inside and out.

Hi it’s about 10 months old I think, I had it apart about a month ago and cleaned it out but only wiped and rinsed it out, I will give it a soak and have a look at that guide.

Cheers Tim

Asco1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 04:20 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Sounds good. Let me know via PM if you have further issues. That said, to me it sounds like it needs a good deep cleaning.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote