Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/06/2007, 09:15 AM   #1
monicaswizzle
Premium Member

Anemone proofing Koralia--idea and ?

Well, I had a new idea on how to protect my Koralia pumps from contact with my future anemone. I bought some plastic planting pots that are designed for use with pond plants. The pots are made out of a plastic grid or mesh with lots of holes for the water to flow through. They come in many sizes, but I bought ones that are 4" deep and 5" across at the open end. Using my exacto knife, I cut a small amount of the plastic out of the bottom to make a place for the rod that connects the Koralia to the magnetic base and another somewhat larger hole so that I could run the electric cord out the "bottom" of the pot. (You could just run it out the top, but that looks "tacky" IMO.) This holds the pot very nicely around the pump. There is about an inch of space between the pump and the pot on all sides and the pot is almost exactly as deep as the pump is long. It looks a little goofy, but it should make it very unlikely that an anemone could wander into the pump. In order to do so, the anemone would have to climb the tank wall to the pump, then climb out five inches along the side of the pot and then climb down into the pot to make contact with the pump.

Which brings me to my question--Do you think I should zip tie some type of plastic mesh or screen over the open end of the pot to make it totally anemone proof? Would an anemone likely climb up the wall of the pot and then down into it? Would it do so so fast that I would be unlikely to notice before it is too late? I could cover the open end of the pot, but it will make it much harder to service the pump, would likely restrict flow a bit and would look even worse than my tank of potted pumps already looks.

Sorry, no camera. Hope my description makes sense.

--Not Born Yesterday

Current Tank Info: fun!
monicaswizzle is offline   Reply With Quote