Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2012, 12:36 PM   #3701
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Added a few new additions to the clean up crew today. Like I mentioned before, I've been battling some bubble algae for a while now to no avail. As much as I manually removed it would just come back even stronger. It probably wasn't helping that my Vortechs were making Bubble Stew out of some of it too. In any event, I added 3 male Emerald Crabs and a Yellow Sea Cucumber today. No proof yet, but it looks like the Emeralds might do some damage to the bubble algae, seeing that they started nipping at the rock right away. Here's some pics!

Acclimating the 3 Emerald Crabs.

Acclimating the Yellow Sea Cucumber. I had one of these in my old 40g and it did a great job keeping the sand clean. And they are just kinda cool to watch. haha

Action shots of the Emeralds in the tank. Pics were taken with the flash ON since the lights aren't on yet, so the colors are not quite accurate.

Plenty to eat here!

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:46 PM.
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2012, 11:59 AM   #3702
drummereef
Team RC Member

The Emeralds seem to be taking interest in the bubble algae. However, they seem to get easily distracted. But, not only have they been snacking on a little bit of the Valonia, they also have taken interest in some of the tube worms. I saw one of the crabs tear off a few tubes and literally pick out and eat the worms inside. All in all, they are very interesting to watch. Here's a couple pics...

Sneaky but effective move. haha

What you never want to see at night... if you're bubble algae.

Unread 04/18/2012, 12:03 PM   #3703
110galreef
Registered Member

Great shots!

Unread 04/18/2012, 12:47 PM   #3704
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

I used the same species of crab to elimate 99% of bubble algae in my tank. The crab got to work right away and cleared almost all the Valonia. I suppose he couldnt find the few stray bubble algae in a few places. But they do work against bubble algae.

I love the tidyness of your whole setup. I can see that a lot of thought and effort goes into the execution of everything. Very meticulous.

As for the rest of the tank, its good to see how the corals are making a comeback. Keep up the good work and keep up the excellent photography too!

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2012, 12:51 PM   #3705
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Where do you think you got the bubble algae from? Just come in on a frag or something?

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2012, 08:38 PM   #3706
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
Great shots!
Thanks 110g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
I used the same species of crab to elimate 99% of bubble algae in my tank. The crab got to work right away and cleared almost all the Valonia. I suppose he couldnt find the few stray bubble algae in a few places. But they do work against bubble algae.

I love the tidyness of your whole setup. I can see that a lot of thought and effort goes into the execution of everything. Very meticulous.

As for the rest of the tank, its good to see how the corals are making a comeback. Keep up the good work and keep up the excellent photography too!
Great! Good to know, thanks sahin. And thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post
Where do you think you got the bubble algae from? Just come in on a frag or something?
Yeah, that would be the only place I could think of. I dip everything but knowing how hardy the stuff is I wouldn't doubt it could survive a dip too. But, with the extra NO3 I had before I put the pellets back online, the stuff just took off. I attempted manual removal on several occasions but like I said it just came back. I manually removed some more last night to give the crabs a little head start, especially with the bigger bubbles. I saw one of the crabs nipping again at some just a few minutes ago so I'm excited to see their progress over the next few days/weeks.

Unread 04/21/2012, 04:28 PM   #3707
drummereef
Team RC Member

You're probably sick of seeing pics of crabs, but... Look closely at what's between his claws. Seeing this little guy chow down on a big piece of Valonia makes me want to go

Unread 04/21/2012, 05:48 PM   #3708
Grayhead
Registered Member

Man, you have a beautiful tank. Stole many ideas from you in my build, and many things I wish I did before I began.
One this I want to copy is the type of sand you used. I want to switch sand out since mine blows around so much. How did you go about removing the sand without tearing the whole tank down? I have a little more rock in my display than you but dont think it will be to bad.

Grayhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 10:36 AM   #3709
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayhead View Post
Man, you have a beautiful tank. Stole many ideas from you in my build, and many things I wish I did before I began.
One this I want to copy is the type of sand you used. I want to switch sand out since mine blows around so much. How did you go about removing the sand without tearing the whole tank down? I have a little more rock in my display than you but dont think it will be to bad.

Thanks for the kind words Grayhead. Siphoning the sand bed is easy. I took some tubing, 1/2" ID if I remember right, and just siphoned it out into empty buckets. I did the whole tank over the course of a few days so I had time to make up new saltwater to replenish the water I removed. If you are set up with more reserve saltwater then you might be able to remove it all in one shot, depending on how deep the sand bed is. I'd only recommend this if your sand bed is shallow, less than 2". If it's a DSB you would have to go super slow as to avoid any release of excess nutrients or worse - hydrogen sulfide.

Unread 04/22/2012, 12:01 PM   #3710
salali
Registered Member

Back to your tank after long time

Love new sand bed great job.

salali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 02:02 PM   #3711
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salali View Post
Back to your tank after long time

Love new sand bed great job.
salali!! Great to hear from you again. How ya been?

Unread 04/22/2012, 07:32 PM   #3712
Musbtr1pin
Registered Member

Holy flipping flapjack Jesus... That made no sense, but it was the first thing to come to mind...

I have a 180 as well... I envy you took me three days to read every post... Worth every minute... Now I must upgrade and start a new build... Great job!

Musbtr1pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 09:33 PM   #3713
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musbtr1pin View Post
Holy flipping flapjack Jesus... That made no sense, but it was the first thing to come to mind...

I have a 180 as well... I envy you took me three days to read every post... Worth every minute... Now I must upgrade and start a new build... Great job!
Haha, thanks Musbtr1pin.

Unread 04/22/2012, 09:55 PM   #3714
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Couple new pics for you guys...

First, a new FTS. I messed with the ISO setting on this one and it really made the overall clarity come to life.

And some growth pics... (my closeups need a little work, colors are a bit off. )

January 2011

Today

January 2011

Today

January 2011

Today

Question... What would you do with this coral, let it grow or frag it into somewhat of a shape? It's growing a little asymmetrical so I don't want to limit it's growth into a colony. Thoughts? The two new offshoots (left and right) are growing fairly quick but the middle has kind of gone stagnant.

Need and ID for this little guy in the center of the pic. Any ideas?

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:48 PM.
Unread 04/23/2012, 12:10 AM   #3715
kawicivic
Registered Member

I would let the coral grow the way it is growing. I have found that SPS will only grow in a sustainable fashion. I believe the reason you have noticed growth stopping on the largest branch is that it is probably thickening up and allowing the other branches to catch up. I have been studying my largest acro's growth pretty closely, and tend to notice that it spurts up and then thickens to support the additional growth.

The other thing that could have happened, was its environment changed. SPS may grow a certain way based on flow, if that changes, the growth will shift to deal with it. The growth of the coral or another coral could cause flow to change enough that the SPS will begin to redirect to take better advantage of the flow.

With that being said, the only downside I see to pruning the frag is the healing time of the area of the frag. If the frag is growing well, I don't see an issue with snipping it off. It should heal the area snipped within a week or two at most (sometimes within a few days if it is really growing).

Your growth shots look very nice! Keep up the good work!

kawicivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 01:30 AM   #3716
salali
Registered Member

I have been good thanks for asking.

I am buys looking for a job when I find one I am going to upgrade and steal you ideas lol

salali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 01:52 PM   #3717
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Brett,

Took me forever but I finally found something that will work with the doser and containers to make a nice clean look.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...k-adaptor.html

Don't know how I missed them earlier.

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex

Last edited by cromedogg33; 04/23/2012 at 02:06 PM.
Unread 04/23/2012, 11:21 PM   #3718
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawicivic View Post
I would let the coral grow the way it is growing. I have found that SPS will only grow in a sustainable fashion. I believe the reason you have noticed growth stopping on the largest branch is that it is probably thickening up and allowing the other branches to catch up. I have been studying my largest acro's growth pretty closely, and tend to notice that it spurts up and then thickens to support the additional growth.

The other thing that could have happened, was its environment changed. SPS may grow a certain way based on flow, if that changes, the growth will shift to deal with it. The growth of the coral or another coral could cause flow to change enough that the SPS will begin to redirect to take better advantage of the flow.

With that being said, the only downside I see to pruning the frag is the healing time of the area of the frag. If the frag is growing well, I don't see an issue with snipping it off. It should heal the area snipped within a week or two at most (sometimes within a few days if it is really growing).

Your growth shots look very nice! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the advice kawicivic. I'll keep an eye on it a while before I start cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salali View Post
I have been good thanks for asking.

I am buys looking for a job when I find one I am going to upgrade and steal you ideas lol
Haha! Good luck, hope you find one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post
Brett,

Took me forever but I finally found something that will work with the doser and containers to make a nice clean look.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...k-adaptor.html

Don't know how I missed them earlier.
Awesome! I had seen those on BRS's site but didn't know if it would work with the tubing that ships with the doser. I ran by Home Depot today and tested the "ice maker" tubing (same stuff that comes with the doser) in a 1/4" quick connect and I think it will work for you. Otherwise, I've read standard 1/4" RO tubing will work with the doser if you heat the end up really well before attaching it. I think it just has a slightly smaller ID than the supplied tubing.

Are you using it in your Kalk reservoir?

Unread 04/24/2012, 08:36 AM   #3719
110galreef
Registered Member

I use those BRS bulkhead adapters for my ATO. I pass my line thru the holding tank with them.

They will work on flexible or rigid hose(john guest stuff) as long as they match OD. Ie 1/4 or 3/8 or 1/2 etc.. They hold either just fine!

Unread 04/24/2012, 06:27 PM   #3720
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
I use those BRS bulkhead adapters for my ATO. I pass my line thru the holding tank with them.

They will work on flexible or rigid hose(john guest stuff) as long as they match OD. Ie 1/4 or 3/8 or 1/2 etc.. They hold either just fine!
Sweet! Do you put anything on the opposite side of the push connect? Trying to visualize what you are describing... any pics?

I'm thinking of adding another Brute to my system and use it as a fresh water reservoir. I could use one of these tubing bulkheads to connect to my 5g bucket to replenish my top off so I'm not running my RO/DI as frequent.

Unread 04/25/2012, 12:54 PM   #3721
110galreef
Registered Member

Ok, here is my crappy early morn low light phone pics!
You'll get the idea!

So here is the plan:

My ATO bin is a ~30g container. Just enuf water for about 8 days of being gone. I manually fill it up every week or so. I also have a float valve inside the bin (failsafe of overflowing bin incase i forget to turn off water in time) So I have a manual valave on the outside of the bin. I use the bulkhead to route the ATO feed tube thru it to the ATO pump. Also this quick disconnect allows me to easily remove the bin and give it a quick clean every few month. I also am able to leave the lid on it as the tube comes out the side of the bin. This bulkhead is about 2" above the highest water level controlled via the float valve. The little white thing at the bottom of the bin is simply a piece of PVC that I have the supply line for the ATO attached to to keep it at the bottom of the bin!

The filling of the bin manually each week, ensures minimal TDS creep (my DI lasts about 3 mos on a 300g+ system. Also it limits the amount of water that could ever be added if I was gone to the 30g (salinity drop is minimal and also my sump can hold that amount. Also my aqualifter pump is controlled via 2 float switches as redundancy. I also limit the times that the ATO can run via my apex. I have a 30 minute window at 12-12:30, 3-3:30, 6-6:30 and 9-9:30 that the pump could run as well. Basically only allowing up to 6 gals of top off a day. incase BOTH floats stick.

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:48 PM.
110galreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 11:22 PM   #3722
drummereef
Team RC Member

Nice 110g!! So is the quick connect side on the inside or outside of the barrel? How did you connect the tubing to the threaded side of the bulkhead fitting? Also, where did you score the sweet barrel? It looks a lot more robust than some of the other blue drums I've seen online.

Unread 04/25/2012, 11:45 PM   #3723
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Scored a sweet deal on some industrial shelving this week, free! So I decided to organize the clutter and also take advantage of the extra space. I ended up with enough room to store all my dry goods and still have plenty of room for a fragging station. I decided to put it on the wall just outside the sump room. It's chrome over steel so I figured it would end up rusting inside sump room. I think it turned out pretty good, now all I need is some frags.

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:49 PM.
Unread 04/26/2012, 07:42 AM   #3724
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Brett,

Just a word of advice from a recent personal experience. The last picture I notice your vortech controller is hung on the stand of the tank.

I had a recent overflow caused by a snail getting into my overflow pipe and had water spill over ruining my vortech controller sitting in the identical spot yours is.

Unread 04/26/2012, 08:01 AM   #3725
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
Nice 110g!! So is the quick connect side on the inside or outside of the barrel? How did you connect the tubing to the threaded side of the bulkhead fitting? Also, where did you score the sweet barrel? It looks a lot more robust than some of the other blue drums I've seen online.
The bulkhead is 1/4 quick discconnect on both ends! So i just have 1/4" flexible tube inserted into both ends. I have the nut side on the outside.

The drums are very sturdy. I actually have 2 and alos one that is a 55g drum size. all have lids w/ gaskets and a nice sealing ring that can be used if necassary. I actually acquired the two 30g size from a reefer about 2 hrs away going out of the hobby. These are very sturdy plastic containers! The served as my ATO as it was a perfect fit for water volume and location. The other 30g and 55g work great for water changes or teardowns etc..... I believe these were from some sort of food distribution originally. I know the 55g one I had originally had tomatoes in it. IT was stinky when I got it. But a soak in bleach and vinegar and good as new!

New rack is looking sweet! TIDY as always!!