Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2014, 09:49 PM   #1
yajur
Registered Member

Will stop bio pellets when your no3 is zero?

Will stop bio pellets when your no3 is zero?

Now my no3 is zero in api should have to stop bio pellet also heard lot of bad stuff about bio pellet and STN

Or can we reduce the media when it near zero level ?

yajur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Bilk
Registered Member

I don't think you want zero. You want a manageable level that is balanced with the levels of PO4. That number appears to be somewhat particular to each tank and it's something you will find in observing your tank inhabitants.

Unread 04/11/2014, 11:20 AM   #3
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

It will likely climb again a bit once you stop. If you let it be, the aragonite and bacteria will worth together to bind/swap it and they can keep it under control on their own. ...unless you have a filthy tank or something.

Also, I might suggest a better N test kit than API. I have never found them too terribly reliable, but others may disagree.

My personal number are: clear on Salifert for N and P tests from the top, but some color from the side on the N. These are well below 1 and .01 and very close to zero, but not at zero. The tank handles this equilibrium on it's own - I have pretty good stock of 3 Genicanthus, 9 Anthias, Purple Tang and a handful of wrasses in a 120G.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2014, 10:34 PM   #4
yajur
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
It will likely climb again a bit once you stop. If you let it be, the aragonite and bacteria will worth together to bind/swap it and they can keep it under control on their own. ...unless you have a filthy tank or something.

Also, I might suggest a better N test kit than API. I have never found them too terribly reliable, but others may disagree.

My personal number are: clear on Salifert for N and P tests from the top, but some color from the side on the N. These are well below 1 and .01 and very close to zero, but not at zero. The tank handles this equilibrium on it's own - I have pretty good stock of 3 Genicanthus, 9 Anthias, Purple Tang and a handful of wrasses in a 120G.

Then it time to change the test kit also

yajur is offline   Reply With Quote