Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2017, 09:14 PM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

PLEASE HELP replaced Apex with another working apex brain now modules not working

I cleared all memory i restored files non of my modules work accept display. They were all working on the other apex brain now this one they wont register in modules. This apex is a working unit. All the modules were working on the previous apex brain. I have 2 eb8s, ald, PM2 non are working now. The pm2 only connect wont show up on modules what is going on? What can I do to fix this?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 09:15 PM   #2
reefer1970
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyetman View Post
I cleared all memory i restored files non of my modules work accept display. They were all working on the other apex brain now this one they wont register in modules. This apex is a working unit. All the modules were working on the previous apex brain. I have 2 eb8s, ald, PM2 non are working now. The pm2 only connect wont show up on modules what is going on? What can I do to fix this?

Update firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 09:19 PM   #3
Jyetman
Registered Member

I tried plugging in the ALD and in modules it shows 2 ald modules why? The ald module is flashing yellow but apex assigned two addresses for it?

Unread 11/06/2017, 09:20 PM   #4
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer1970 View Post
Update firmware?

ok ill try that will go back to previous version

Unread 11/06/2017, 09:22 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

I would try updating the EB8 firmware first. You do that from the module setting page.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 09:33 PM   #6
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer1970 View Post
Update firmware?

I tried that it now gave me 8 ALD addresses?

Unread 11/06/2017, 10:58 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I tried that it now gave me 8 ALD addresses?
I think you have an address conflict. Disconnect the ALD from the Aquabus. Go into your module settings page from the classic dashboard and delete all ALD’s. This may solve your EB8 issue too. Then plug your ALD back in to the Aquabus. It should add your ALD without all the duplicates. Note that since the address is likely to change, programming associated with our ALD from your backup may need to be reprogrammed. If not, update the EB8 firmware as I mentioned above if you haven’t already done so.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 11/06/2017, 11:12 PM   #8
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I think you have an address conflict. Disconnect the ALD from the Aquabus. Go into your module settings page from the classic dashboard and delete all ALD’s. This may solve your EB8 issue too. Then plug your ALD back in to the Aquabus. It should add your ALD without all the duplicates. Note that since the address is likely to change, programming associated with our ALD from your backup may need to be reprogrammed. If not, update the EB8 firmware as I mentioned above if you haven’t already done so.
Ok i unplugged the ALD and updated the EB8 firmware. IT WORKED IT WORKIED EB8 IS SOLID GREEN!!! Doing the 2nd EB8 now

Unread 11/06/2017, 11:24 PM   #9
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
So I have both EB8s back and running. The 3rd module in next order is the PM2 module. I connected it but its not showing up under modules no address listed for it and its flashing orange. Any recommendations on how to assign it? It was working earlier today with the last apex.

Unread 11/07/2017, 10:08 AM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
So I have both EB8s back and running. The 3rd module in next order is the PM2 module. I connected it but its not showing up under modules no address listed for it and its flashing orange. Any recommendations on how to assign it? It was working earlier today with the last apex.
Unplug it and cycle power on the Apex. Make sure you have addressed your issue with all those duplicate ALD's first. Assuming you have those duplicates removed, plug the PM2 back in after you have power cycled the Apex. If it shows up in modules, be sure to update the firmware on it even if it says "ok".

Unread 11/07/2017, 03:31 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

Good place for help:

http://forum.neptunesystems.com/forum.php

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 04:50 PM   #12
Jyetman
Registered Member

Update, it seems the mystery is solved. The reason both my main apex and backup units wouldn't boot up properly was because either the ALD or PM2 modules were going bad at least thats what i'm thinking. When Neptune remoted in they cleared all settings and found errors on the USB bus. He was thinking bad apex unit told me to update to previous firmware and restore a backup maybe get 6 months or year but will fail eventually. When I did nothing worked. Eb8s solid orange "Selif" told me to update their firmware that worked but the PM2 and ALD modules still failed to boot up. Not sure why they worked prior to Neptune remote session but it does make sense for the last 6 months I've been having issues rebooting both my apex units. At least the ALD is under warranty hope they are easy with me on the PM2 only cost $80 to replace.

Unread 11/08/2017, 02:21 PM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

If you ship it back to Apex they will give you a solid estimate prior to repair so you can make the repair or replace decision. That's what I recall from having them to an EB8 repair for me.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 11/08/2017, 03:07 PM   #14
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
If you ship it back to Apex they will give you a solid estimate prior to repair so you can make the repair or replace decision. That's what I recall from having them to an EB8 repair for me.
Was the repair cost on your EB8 reasonable?

Unread 11/08/2017, 03:39 PM   #15
hkgar
Registered Member

Yes it was. I did buy a used one off Ebay so I could be up and running again as soon as possible. The issue was an outlet the sayted in on. I could use the other 8 till the ebay one showed up and sent the unit to be fixed. The second unit is now a back up.

Unread 11/08/2017, 05:04 PM   #16
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Yes it was. I did buy a used one off Ebay so I could be up and running again as soon as possible. The issue was an outlet the sayted in on. I could use the other 8 till the ebay one showed up and sent the unit to be fixed. The second unit is now a back up.
How old was the EB8 when it started having a issue? My apex kit is near 4 years old now but the PM2 and ALD modules are only 1 year which is unsettling.

Unread 11/10/2017, 03:03 PM   #17
Jyetman
Registered Member

Update, Neptune repaired both modules.

The ALD was under warranty and they repaired the PM2 at no charge!
All I can say is WOW that was unexpected, Thank You Neptune.

We have received, diagnosed, and repaired your ALD / RMA # A22724. This repair has been covered under warranty and we appreciate your patience while this matter has been resolved for you.

After diagnosing the contents of the PM2, we have concluded that the PM2 is not typically covered under warranty because it was Out of Warranty. However, given the circumstance that your ALD was in warranty we have opted to repair this free of charge.

Tags
apex classic, apex errors, modules not connecting