Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2012, 06:45 AM   #101
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaritaville View Post
it is sad that all of these beautiful fish have to suffer, but whose to blame???....its the non- responsible aquarist that started releasing them in the wild down here.
The time for blame has passed.

The time for action is now.

Unread 05/08/2012, 09:40 AM   #102
rreveron
Registered Member

Just to give you an idea how bad this is becoming, down in Puerto Rico there were only a couple of reports of Lion Fish in our water around 3 years ago. Today you can find several during a single dive. The sad part is that other reef fish are becoming harder to see now. The Royal Gramma population has been hit very hard.

Local dive shops are taking the stand about killing them if possible and using them for food. Local restaurants will buy them from you since they are actually very good. They will normally pay around $3 dollars for a single dead fish.

This past weekend I had a Lion Fish turnover and it was very good.

Note that the importation of live LF into the island has been prohibited for a couple of years.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: Starting a build for a 210G, 2 X ATI Powermodule 10x39W.
rreveron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 01:10 PM   #103
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

My cousin has a house in the Keys so I will stay there, but I did not know that... man these suckers are everywhere. I might google how to cook them lol, I hear it isn't too hard.

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Reeferz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 02:58 PM   #104
pledosophy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiz Rocha View Post
Here is a 2011 map:

I saw three in one dive in Cancun in January.

Unread 05/09/2012, 07:52 AM   #105
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeferz412 View Post
My cousin has a house in the Keys so I will stay there, but I did not know that... man these suckers are everywhere. I might google how to cook them lol, I hear it isn't too hard.
Ceviche....

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
hllywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 07:57 AM   #106
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pledosophy View Post
I saw three in one dive in Cancun in January.
In the Deerfield Beach, FL area it's common to see half a dozen or more on a dive, some larger than any I've seen in aquariums. 3 or 4 years ago I had heard about the problem but never seen one.

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
hllywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 11:09 AM   #107
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

Mine as well making it a fishing trip

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Unread 05/09/2012, 07:11 PM   #108
Alexraptor
Registered Member

Seems to me that the caribbean is a good buisness opportunity for the pet trade.
Harvest them in the masses from the caribben and export them to aquarists around the globe!
Populations get reduced, and aquarists get wild caught lionfish without harming the environment.

Alexraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 11:03 AM   #109
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Seems to me that the caribbean is a good buisness opportunity for the pet trade.
Harvest them in the masses from the caribben and export them to aquarists around the globe!
Populations get reduced, and aquarists get wild caught lionfish without harming the environment.

That is a good idea, but you always have those not too smart aquarists who buy one, and maybe it gets too big for their tank annnnnd they release it where?

FMAS Member

Unread 05/10/2012, 11:35 AM   #110
Lwhite
Custom User

We could hold underground Battle Royales between the lionfish and the snakeheads somewhere in south florida...

-Luke

Current Tank Info: 40g Breeder Mixed Reef
Lwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 11:47 AM   #111
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

We could be the Michael Vicks of the sea.

FMAS Member

Unread 05/10/2012, 07:30 PM   #112
Alexraptor
Registered Member

Sad thing is the same thing can be said for most large fish, or even small fish.
Some people just get tired of them and dump them in any waterhole and don't give a damn about what happens.

Alexraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2012, 11:36 AM   #113
ackee
Registered Member

From the current issue of ALERT, official publication of the Divers Alert Network, an article by Stan Waterman, the dean of UW photography (5 Emmys), recognized worldwide as among the most respected oceanographic commentators:

"Whether we like it or not, we are in the midst of what may be the worst biological disaster ever to to face the western Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. The Lionfish invasion has been highlighted as one of the top 15 emerging threats to global biodiversity..."

You have to see it to believe it. The effect of the Lionfish invasion is nothing less than catastrophic. The Caribbean as we knew it will not be there for our children.

ackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2012, 11:59 AM   #114
rreveron
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwhite View Post
We could hold underground Battle Royales between the lionfish and the snakeheads somewhere in south florida...
I though the snakehead was a fresh water fish? But I agree both are a mess.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: Starting a build for a 210G, 2 X ATI Powermodule 10x39W.
rreveron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2012, 08:37 PM   #115
reefdude135
Registered Member

Last summer we went to the Keys and hit a theater one evening. They ran a "commercial" about the lionfish issue, and emphasized their edibility. The website that they promoted was http://deathtolionfish.org for more details.

reefdude135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 01:11 PM   #116
bamf25
Registered Member

My Dad goes down to the Bahamas multiple times per years, and when he saw a lion fish for sale at the LFS he mentioned that they are having a hugh problem there. This thread made me realize the issue is widespread.

bamf25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2012, 03:01 PM   #117
reefling
Registered Member

You kinda wonder why they still collect them from the pacific. between collecting and eating them it may not make a dent in the population, but it is something.

one possible solution could be to get a breeding group of the fish most endangered and put them in a protected area(netted off or something) if they spawn, the larvae would be carried off by the currents. i know it would be hard to pull off something like that but it might be the best chance to fix this. we had a dwarf lion fish and it will eat til it pops if you let it if i remember right many aquarists feed them to death.

reefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 10:02 AM   #118
chrisv
Registered Member

This is a perfect opportunity for legislative regulation of the tropical fish trade to make an impact.

If it were illegal for wholesalers to import them from other countries, the US demand would have to be met by fish taken from US waters. might even result in a few US jobs. Could even expand to exports if the infrastructure is well established. (in the mean time, just kill them)

chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 02:59 PM   #119
felker14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
This is a perfect opportunity for legislative regulation of the tropical fish trade to make an impact.

If it were illegal for wholesalers to import them from other countries, the US demand would have to be met by fish taken from US waters. might even result in a few US jobs. Could even expand to exports if the infrastructure is well established. (in the mean time, just kill them)
Quite sad the damage this fish is doing. We have a better chance of mother nature sorting out this problem then any politician.

felker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 05:33 PM   #120
Myko
Registered Member

Not sure if anyone posted this before, but
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqGhsMhZtF0

not the keys, but similar situation i believe.

Myko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 01:22 AM   #121
Angel85
Registered Member

There are so many posts, I did not read them all. There was a program on tv reciently about this. Lionfish were introduced from the pet trade and it is said released by a few hobbyists ( for whatever reasons) back into the oceans in FL. It is said of these lionfish, you can trace lineage back to an original 9! They are prolific breeders, have no enemies in the area and eat any fish they can fit into their large mouths. They are litterally taking over and invading! The chart on the first page is correct. They have spread all the way north to Maine though do not live through winter there.
It is sad, but populations must be controlled or the native fish will not sustain. There are programs to reduce populations of the lionfish, encouragement of eating them, and scientists that monitor and study their habits.
Its human mistake to have released them into non-indigenous areas and now human who should be responsible to correct or at least control the issue IMO.

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon biocube-Oceanic
Angel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2012, 06:02 PM   #122
scoupland
Registered Member

I don't know if it's possible to completely eradicate this invasive species, but I do my part to spear them every time I go diving (I live in Florida). I been diving and have had large snappers actually lead me to lionfish. Once the lionfish were speared, the snappers gobbled them up, but only after they were speared.

scoupland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2012, 08:51 PM   #123
Angel85
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupland View Post
I don't know if it's possible to completely eradicate this invasive species, but I do my part to spear them every time I go diving (I live in Florida). I been diving and have had large snappers actually lead me to lionfish. Once the lionfish were speared, the snappers gobbled them up, but only after they were speared.
It sounds cruel, but you are actually doing a "nessisary evil" and good deed by helping control the populations.
interesting the snappers do that. I guess in the tank or in the wild, fish can learn that humans provide food lol.

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon biocube-Oceanic
Angel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2012, 04:08 PM   #124
cpt cautious
Registered Member

Its sad to have such a beautiful fish be such a nuisance. I really want to catch one and fry it up now, save the other fishies and get a good meal, hopefully something happens to slow them down

cpt cautious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2012, 11:39 AM   #125
hogfish
Registered Member

they are an invasive species without predators that is wrecking the natural ecosystem off the east coast of the us and the carribean...

hogfish is offline   Reply With Quote