Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2009, 09:47 PM   #1
nivram
Registered Member

Best way to transition from Kalk in my ATO to Dosing 2 part w/ dosers?

I currently dose kalk in my top off water. However, I recently purchased two bulk reef supply dosers and want to use them to automate my 2-part dosing. Whats the best way to make this change? I was thinking about stopping the Kalk cold turkey, and start dosing two part at a low level and measuring the changes daily. Does this sound like a good plan?

I have B-ionic 2 part and BRS 2 part that came with the dosers. Any way to determine if they are similar in concentration?

My last question, i've been storing the BRS 2-part outside in sealed 15 gal drums. Its been in the 90s all week. Would this have any effect on my solutions?

Thanks

Marvin

nivram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2009, 10:20 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

High temperatures won't have much of an effect on the 2-part, unless the containers get melted.

I'd just stop the kalk and start the 2-part. If you know the concentration of your limewater and the amount dosed per day, we can estimate the amount of 2-part needed per day, but your plan is fine as is.

This calculator can be used to compare the concentration of those two products:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

The DIY is less concentrated.