Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/05/2011, 04:23 PM   #1
ToLearn
Registered Member

ATO & Kalk dosing code check

SumpNotFull (virtual outlet on bottom float switch)

If Switch2 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch2 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 000:02 Then OFF

SumpLow (virtual outlet on bottom float switch)

If Switch3 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch3 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 000:05 Then OFF

ATOResEmpty(virtual outlet on a float switch at the bottom of the reservoir)

If Switch4 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch4 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 000:02 Then OFF

ATOPump Outlet 8 on EB8
BulkReefSupply ATO pump going to sump

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:10/000:30/000:00 Then ON
Min Time 000:10 Then ON
If Time 21:42 to 15:56 Then OFF
If Outlet SumpLow = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet SumpNotFull = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet ATOResEmpty = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet XWRONGX = ON Then OFF

KWReactor Outlet 4 on EB8
MaxiJet900 feeding TLF Sprung Kalkwasser reactor

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:30/000:08/000:00 Then ON
Min Time 000:30 Then ON
If Time 15:55 to 21:51 Then OFF
If pH > 08.27 Then OFF
If Outlet SumpLow = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet SumpNotFull = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet ATOResEmpty = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet XWRONGX = ON Then OFF

XWRONGX is a virtual outlet that kicks on when things are really out of whack in the system.

I can't find my Kill-A-Watt device so I am not sure how many watts these two pumps push so for time being they are on 4 and 8, but I would like to switch them off soon so I can start getting my calcium reactor controlled via the Apex.

At some point soon I'll be adding a fourth float so if my sump gets really low the heaters will shut off preventing them from burning up or cooking my system.

ToLearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2011, 06:17 PM   #2
ToLearn
Registered Member

(Edit, on the MJ900 and on the web it says it runs at 8.5 watts so I moved it from outlet 8 to 3 and will be testing it to make sure it turns on and off)

Unread 01/06/2011, 08:44 AM   #3
swearint
Registered Member

I don't think the Min Time statement is necessary and makes it harder to decifer. Since the OSC command is the only statement that will turn the outlet ON, if you want it to run for an additional 10 or 30 seconds, just include it in the OSC ON duration.

You may also have a bit of a synchronization issue with the OSC and the Time command, at least with the Kalk outlet. In the current firmware release, the OSC no longer resets at midnight. If the total duration of the OSC parameters is not an even multiple of 24 hrs, it will shift over time.

Also, the Outlet checks seem backwards:

SumpLow OFF (false) would indicate a normal situation and you would want to allow ATO/KALK. You are keeping it OFF.

SumpNotFull OFF (false), would indicate that the sump is below desired working level and ATO/KALK should be allowed. You are keeping it OFF.

ATOResEmpty OFF (false) would indicate that the reservoir still has water and ATO/KALK should be allowed. You are keeping it OFF.

Todd

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef
swearint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2011, 10:19 AM   #4
ToLearn
Registered Member

Unfortunately I haven't been able to upgrade to the latest firmware yet. (Likely because of some firewall I can't find in my only lap top)

With the OSC code it won't override all the OFFs and have it run for the full time if the conditions change and it should be off right? It isn't that I want it to run longer, but that I wanted it to run for at least 10 seconds or 30 seconds, so it gets something besides a drop or two in the tank, so it doesn't need to run again for a little while.

I think I see your point with synchronization, but not sure it really matters at exactly what time the outlets run. If I set it up so the specific time it would be on was the minute during the window of the day I wanted it to run(say 15:55 for the kalk) that doesn't mean all the other conditions would be in such a way that it would run. There may be enough water at that point and it won't run. I am not sure a benefit of having them synced up perfectly.

I think you misunderstood what my floats are meant to do or perhaps the direction they are facing NO or NC. Perhaps my naming or use of words is different then others. Everything works the way the coding is now I just wanted to change the names as you suggested so it reads a little better and the code is more intuitive.

The bottom sump float(SumpLow) indicates either if the sump has enough water or too little. Under normal situation when the sump has enough water I don't want the ATO or Kalk to add anything additional.

The top float in the sump(SumpNotFull) indicates that the sump is not over full. It indicates that the sump is above the desired working level(like meaning a return pump failed or the bottom float failed) and the ATO and Kalk should be disabled immediately as there is way too much water in the system and during a power outage I may get wet floors.
Perhaps a better name for it would be SumpNotOverFull or SumpNotSuperFull, however those names I believe would be too long for the Apex. Surprised they limit you to such short names.

The ATOResEmpty you got, so I either need to figure out another name or flip that switch upside down. Maybe I'll change it to ATOResGood... sound good?

Sorry bare with me, this logic is scrambling my brain, lol.

Last edited by ToLearn; 01/06/2011 at 10:33 AM.
Unread 01/06/2011, 11:46 AM   #5
swearint
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToLearn View Post
With the OSC code it won't override all the OFFs and have it run for the full time if the conditions change and it should be off right?
Correct, since the exceptions come later, they will have a higher priority.

Quote:
It isn't that I want it to run longer, but that I wanted it to run for at least 10 seconds or 30 seconds, so it gets something besides a drop or two in the tank, so it doesn't need to run again for a little while.
The problem is that the OSC has a definite duration and Min Time has an indefinite duration. The Min Time is intended to run for at least a specified time, but could run longer if conditions do not change. It will essentially override the ON time of the OSC. For example in Kalk, the OSC sets to ON for 8 seconds, but the Min Time is going to force it to ON for at least 30 seconds, possibly longer. I think the better approach would be to define the OSC for the maximum desired duration, and rely on the other checks to cut it OFF if necessary.

Quote:
I think I see your point with synchronization, ...
If you are running the older firmware, it is a non-issue. The very specific Time statement jumped out at me and I wanted to point it out in case it was critical.

Quote:
Perhaps my naming or use of words is different then others. Everything works the way the coding is now I just wanted to change the names as you suggested so it reads a little better and the code is more intuitive.
Yes, I was going strictly by the way they are named and the convention that OFF is False and ON is True. I see now that you are using SumpLow for nominal water level rather than extreme low condition. I assumed SumpNotFull was for nominal level. As long as it works the way you intend.

Todd

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef
swearint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2011, 12:16 PM   #6
ToLearn
Registered Member

I am not sure why I got so specific with the timing. I started off just running the kalk for a short period of time and then found with my tank there was no risk of overdosing, so I increased it more and more.

I see what you are saying with the 30 seconds and 8 seconds, I hadn't realized the osc was so short when I set the minimum time. I'm going to change the min time to 8 seconds. I wanted to make sure that the the kalk ran for more then just a second or two so it wouldn't have to run again for a little while. I realize the odds are slim that after 10 seconds defer on the virtual outlet that the condition would reverse with in a second or two of the kalk running, but still I wanted to insure once the conditions would good for it to run that it wouldn't cut off soon after starting. Changing my Min time to 8 seconds.

Based on what I want to do I won't run into significant issues when I upgrade the firmware still right? Just that the timing of the osc will change several days down the road? I had read about the midnight reset change with the new firmware and don't think it really matters much to the code I wrote. I do plan on upgrading at some point.

Thanks for all the help again, greatly appreciated. It's nice to be able to bounce ideas off of someone else when you get this complicated with the logic. There are many reasons why I left the comp sci major many years ago, lol.

Last edited by ToLearn; 01/06/2011 at 12:35 PM.
Unread 01/18/2011, 09:53 PM   #7
andresp
Registered Member

I run a JBJ ato with my tlf kalk reactor and work great to maintain ph. It turns on when water evaporates and then the top off water become ongorged with the kalk water and dripped into sump.

andresp is offline   Reply With Quote