Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Webmanny
Registered Member

My Coral Box D500 finally arrived

Hey guys and gals,

This is my initial review of the Coral Box D500 skimmer. I just received it via DHL. It took a bit of time since it was out of stock, but it is finally here.

The packaging it top notch. Lots of foam, bubble tubes and protection. This thing is very well made. The plastic is thicker than other skimmers I've seen and feels much stronger.

I'll be hooking it up over the weekend and I'll post a formal review and experience here soon after I install it.

For now, I'll leave you with a quick picture I took after assembly.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 08:07 PM   #2
robthorn
Registered Member

Pretty.

robthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 06:12 AM   #3
bigzman
Registered Member

Keep us posted..I hope they make a bigger one than the d700

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef lps sps
bigzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 06:56 AM   #4
reefcrazy0821
Registered Member

I don't think you will be disapointed at all. I have the D300 running on my 40b with 20L sump. Runs flawlessly, dead silent, pulls out good skimate, extremely easy to make adjusters... I have mine running in about 7.5" of water on speed 4 with the adjuster 3/4 of the way open. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask.

reefcrazy0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 08:10 AM   #5
Webmanny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefcrazy0821 View Post
I don't think you will be disapointed at all. I have the D300 running on my 40b with 20L sump. Runs flawlessly, dead silent, pulls out good skimate, extremely easy to make adjusters... I have mine running in about 7.5" of water on speed 4 with the adjuster 3/4 of the way open. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask.
This is awesome news. Thank you for the feedback. Before I bought this one I was a bit concerned because I could not find any reviews on it, but I;m very happy to hear about your experience and I appreciate your offer for help. I will keep you all posted over the weekend.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Unread 03/13/2015, 08:24 AM   #6
reefcrazy0821
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmanny View Post
This is awesome news. Thank you for the feedback. Before I bought this one I was a bit concerned because I could not find any reviews on it, but I;m very happy to hear about your experience and I appreciate your offer for help. I will keep you all posted over the weekend.
No problem at all. I was also on the fence about it also due to the lack of reviews on it, but I'm not one bit upset about buying it.

reefcrazy0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2015, 03:27 PM   #7
Webmanny
Registered Member

Update:

Skimmer doing great. Awesome skimmate so far and still during break in period. Here are some pictures.

Unread 05/09/2015, 04:36 PM   #8
Jade5051
That guy...

Quote:
Update:

Skimmer doing great. Awesome skimmate so far and still during break in period. Here are some pictures.

Any update on the performance of this skimmer?

Unread 05/10/2015, 06:29 AM   #9
Webmanny
Registered Member

Hey there,

I'm super happy with the performance of this skimmer. It is still super quiet and pulling great skimate. I'm very glad I went with this one. Even thought it is oversized for my tank and there are a few hours a day where it does not produce skimate, it still pulls a very dark and thick skimate every day.

I highly recommend it. The thing I love the most about it, is the ease of adjustment, both on the pump and the skimmer itself.

Unread 05/11/2015, 09:10 PM   #10
Jade5051
That guy...

Show us that nasty skimmate!? :-)

Unread 05/11/2015, 09:12 PM   #11
Travis1787
Registered Member

Nice looking Skimmer

Travis1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2015, 06:58 AM   #12
Webmanny
Registered Member

Hey guys,

This is a more recent picture of the skimate. Please note that this skimmer is way oversize for my tank and the reason I got it was because I plan to upgrade or rather combine two tanks into the existing sump and then it will be a better match.

The results of getting an oversize skimmer are very obvious.
  • The skimmer pump can be dialed down and is not running at 100% capacity, which is good.
  • The collection cup doesn't fill up as quick as my SCA301 did before. I empty my collection cup once a week instead of every other day. This is great, but the collection cup stinks really bad once I empty it.
  • The skimmer does not produce skimate all day long. Since it doesn't have the bio load that it was built for, it only produces skimate for a few hours a day. Some will say this is bad, since it is wasting energy running while not producing skimate, but I don't think I care much.

My honest review so far is... I love this skimmer and I highly recommend it to anyone. This is the fourth skimmer I've owned and it is by far the best I have seen.

My list of skimmers I've owned in the past
HOB eBay Chinese skimmer = Piece of crap that worked for about 2 months well and then just stopped
Coralife Super Skimmer 65 HOB = Extremely large for the capacity, loud and not that efficient at producing skimate.
SCA-301 65 Gallon Protein Skimmer (in Sump) = Good skimmer, but not really built for 65 gallon tank. I had this on a 36 gallon and it was not powerful/efficient enough.
Coral Box D500 DC Skimmer (In Sump) = Great skimmer, adjustable pump, adjustable water flow gate, feeding setup, easy to assemble, super quiet and great price.

This is the collection cup 2 days after I cleaned it up.

Unread 05/13/2015, 01:54 PM   #13
sfoister
Registered Member

This is the only group of people on the planet that will salivate over a cup of fish poop.

This is your safe place.

sfoister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2015, 04:16 PM   #14
Webmanny
Registered Member

LOL. True.

Unread 07/14/2015, 12:20 PM   #15
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

where did you buy and how much?
tnx.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2015, 01:00 PM   #16
Webmanny
Registered Member

I got it at Fish-Street and I think they go for $170 plus shipping, but you should check with a local fish store to see if they have them or something similar in stock. Shipping is kind of expensive and they take some time to ship it to you.

Having said that, I love this skimmer and it has performed flawlessly so far.

Unread 07/14/2015, 02:08 PM   #17
fed.gallardo
Registered Member

Hi, I just placed an order for one of these. I have a 75 Gallon with a 40 Gallon Sump. Cant wait as my previous skimmer is really difficult to keep tuned.

fed.gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2015, 06:19 PM   #18
Webmanny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed.gallardo View Post
Hi, I just placed an order for one of these. I have a 75 Gallon with a 40 Gallon Sump. Cant wait as my previous skimmer is really difficult to keep tuned.
Oh you will love this one. You have pump flow control, air control and outflow control. This thing is awesome. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Once you break it in and find that sweet spot, you won't have to touch it.

Unread 07/15/2015, 12:24 AM   #19
fed.gallardo
Registered Member

Did it come with a long hose off the collection cup

Unread 07/15/2015, 06:10 AM   #20
Webmanny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed.gallardo View Post
Did it come with a long hose off the collection cup
Maybe 24", but it comes with a little valve at the end of it, to which you can connect a normal RODI line and extend it. This is what I did and ran that line to an overflow container.

Unread 07/21/2015, 10:32 PM   #21
fed.gallardo
Registered Member

Just got my skimmer, very nice construction for sure. I cant believe how tiny the pump is. would you say 7.5" is the sweet spot? i am probably gonna install it this weekend, but i have to build a stand. From what point of the skimmer neck should the water line be?
Thanks

Unread 07/22/2015, 05:26 AM   #22
Webmanny
Registered Member

The waterline mark is on the adjustment knob. I haven't measured it, but I think it is about 8". As far as the water line inside the skimmer, that is something that you will have to play with.

It depends on where you set the pump and the flow valve.

Good luck, I know you will love this skimmer.

Unread 02/07/2016, 03:59 PM   #23
Lilmatty5dimes
Moved On

are you still using the d500 skimmer? how do you think it would do on a 65g with 40b sump. thanks

Lilmatty5dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2016, 04:58 PM   #24
Webmanny
Registered Member

I still have it and think your setup would actually be perfect for this skimmer. I feel my tank is to small for my skimmer. Therefore, I only turn it on a few hours every day, but for your setup you might be able to run it constantly.

Good luck!

Unread 02/08/2016, 04:55 PM   #25
Lilmatty5dimes
Moved On

Quote:
I still have it and think your setup would actually be perfect for this skimmer. I feel my tank is to small for my skimmer. Therefore, I only turn it on a few hours every day, but for your setup you might be able to run it constantly.

Good luck!
Awesome. Thanks for the reply. Plan is heavy bioload and thinking sps Dom since I'll be running MH/vho for lighting. Thanks again.

Lilmatty5dimes is offline   Reply With Quote