Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2017, 10:25 AM   #1
simko
Registered Member

Herbie main drain height?

Hi Everyone

I have a 65 gallon that was drilled and set up with a durso standpipe, i was convinced here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2655829

to use a herbie system....

ive since removed old plumbing and im ready to cut tube lengths for the main drain and the emergency.

my question is: if i follow this guideline here: http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-...method-basics/

with the main drain ~5-6" below the weir, will i have much splashing or waterfall noise as the water flows into the overflow?

and, will a greater distance between the main drain and the emergency give me more "room" to fine tune the overflow with the gate valve?

any advice before i start cutting tubes this evening?

simko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 12:02 PM   #2
SFish
Registered Member

That shows water trickling out of the emergency. The water is only a 1/2 below the wier. Even if you want to run a dry emergency you raise the water level in the overflow box by closing the valve on the main drain. It shows an animation of it. The 6 inch gap is between the emergency and the main drain to help the siphon start. I heard people say it works fine with out that gap but I can't say that for sure.
It's all in the article. They even have a picture of it.

Last edited by SFish; 11/07/2017 at 12:11 PM.
SFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 12:28 PM   #3
simko
Registered Member

thanks for the input!

so the water level INSIDE the overflow is kept higher than the main drain but under the emergency drain , correct?

when starting this up for the first time do i start with the gate valve closed then slowly open it to maintain water level?

simko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 12:48 PM   #4
SFish
Registered Member

1) It depends if you want to run the emergency dry or not.

2) You start with the valve all the way open.

If you read the article it will tell you what to do and why...

Unread 11/07/2017, 01:24 PM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

When the Herbie is running:

The water level in the overflow will be just below the weir.

The main drain (syphon drain) will be several inches below the waterline in the overflow. If the main drain (syphon) is too close to the surface, it will form a vortex and suck in air from the surface.

The emergency drain will be either just barely higher than the water level in the overflow or just barely under water.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 01:37 PM   #6
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

the lower the main drain, the more flow you will get. The max flow of course is not to use a pipe and just leave the main drain hole as is. the trade off is you get that extra water going into the sump when return pump is shut off.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 02:59 PM   #7
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
the lower the main drain, the more flow you will get. The max flow of course is not to use a pipe and just leave the main drain hole as is. the trade off is you get that extra water going into the sump when return pump is shut off.
This is the only real consideration for setting the minimum main drain height. It needs to be (significantly, at least an inch or two) below the target water level in the overflow box, but it can be as short as being a bare bulkhead. Having a taller pipe means less draindown, which can help if you have a very small sump.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote