Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2017, 12:29 PM   #51
twitchy
Registered Member

Been a while, but an update:
Things are going good, sps is slowly regaining color, and Duncan and frogspawn are opening.
Finally got the undertank situation cleaned up and organized. love the dj strip, I can't believe I've never had one before, makes feeding so much easier. Still don't have my brs mini reactor plumbed yet, but you can see where it is mounted.

Next steps:
1) Plumb reactor
2) Print media shelf to replace one of the filter floss holders so I can run purigen
3) stocking

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 12:33 PM   #52
twitchy
Registered Member

Been a while, but an update:
Things are going good, sps is slowly regaining color, and Duncan and frogspawn are opening.
Finally got the undertank situation cleaned up and organized. love the dj strip, I can't believe I've never had one before, makes feeding so much easier. Still don't have my brs mini reactor plumbed yet, but you can see where it is mounted.

Next steps:
1) Plumb reactor
2) Print media shelf to replace one of the filter floss holders so I can run purigen
3) stocking

Unread 06/30/2017, 11:56 PM   #53
MarauderMike
Registered Member

Starting an IM 14 peninsula. thanks for the ideas. What do you suggest running in the media shelves

Thanks

MarauderMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2017, 08:26 AM   #54
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarauderMike View Post
Starting an IM 14 peninsula. thanks for the ideas. What do you suggest running in the media shelves

Thanks
I currently don't have any media shelves, but my plan is to run 2 filter floss holders, 1 media rack in the second chamber that will hold a bag of purigen (i don't plan on running a skimmer), and in the second chamber on the other side have a pump to my brs mini media reactor with carbon and gfo.

If I was you and had media rack with the tank I would run floss up top on both, then on one side run carbon/gfo and the other side run purigen

Unread 07/26/2017, 01:43 PM   #55
TatorTaco
Registered Member

I enjoy you sharing your creativity on this build and it looks terrific. Your control box linked to your ATO pump for water changes is super neat. I sure wish I had the "know-how" to pull that off!

Unread 07/26/2017, 02:01 PM   #56
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatorTaco View Post
I enjoy you sharing your creativity on this build and it looks terrific. Your control box linked to your ATO pump for water changes is super neat. I sure wish I had the "know-how" to pull that off!
Thank you, if you know how to solder I could PM you a circuit diagram if you would like

Unread 07/26/2017, 02:23 PM   #57
bk.
Registered Member

Man I love this tank. Been thinking hard about picking up the same one myself. What are your thoughts on it thus far?

bk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 03:04 PM   #58
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk. View Post
Man I love this tank. Been thinking hard about picking up the same one myself. What are your thoughts on it thus far?
It's been a great tank, I'm loving the all in one style tank. Maintenance is so quick and easy. Regret not getting an IM20 years ago.

Only complaint is that the stock pump is not enough flow so I had to put power heads in the display. a new pump is on the list at some point, hopefully that will be enough flow to pull the power heads out and clean up the look a little bit.

Unread 07/26/2017, 07:03 PM   #59
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yeah the stock pumps are pretty bad. I have a fusion 20 and fusion lagoon 25 and replaced both pumps with sicce 1.0. Still needs a powerhead though.

Edit - sicce 1.5 on the IM25

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 07/26/2017 at 07:13 PM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 07:08 PM   #60
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Yeah the stock pumps are pretty bad. I have a fusion 20 and fusion lagoon 25 and replaced both pumps with sicce 1.0. Still needs a powerhead though.
Do you think I could get away with a sicce 1.5 and no power heads? I don't mind having the power head in the display, I just hate the wire running down the side

Unread 07/26/2017, 07:13 PM   #61
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Just went and checked. I'm using a sicce 1.0 on the IM20 but a 1.5 on the IM25. The stock nozzles put a lot of back pressure on the pump though. I think if you went with a 1.5 and opened up the nozzles a bit you might be able to dispense with the PH. I'm a big flow guy though; also have a MP10 on the wall of the IM25 Using one of those really small Jebao PP2 pumps on the IM20 and they're pretty unobtrusive.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 07/27/2017, 05:24 AM   #62
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Just went and checked. I'm using a sicce 1.0 on the IM20 but a 1.5 on the IM25. The stock nozzles put a lot of back pressure on the pump though. I think if you went with a 1.5 and opened up the nozzles a bit you might be able to dispense with the PH. I'm a big flow guy though; also have a MP10 on the wall of the IM25 Using one of those really small Jebao PP2 pumps on the IM20 and they're pretty unobtrusive.
Thanks, then I will definitely go with the 1.5 when I upgrade.
Would you recommend just boring the nozzels out with a drill press? Or can larger nozzels be purchased? Trying to avoid designing and printing new ones if I don't have to

Unread 07/27/2017, 08:20 AM   #63
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I haven't really looked other than to note that they are quite restrictive - both the nozzle and the elbow behind the partition. Maybe if you get rid of the elbow (just use a curve of silicone tubing) and then test with nozzle off versus nozzle on.

Unread 07/27/2017, 03:15 PM   #64
LuizW13
Registered Member

I like that aquascape!

I'm also setting up the same tank!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2645407

LuizW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 07:43 PM   #65
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuizW13 View Post
I like that aquascape!

I'm also setting up the same tank!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2645407
Thanks, I think these tanks scape really nice with their demensions. Ill be sure to check out your thread

Unread 07/28/2017, 05:12 AM   #66
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

I upgraded my stock pump to the 1.5 and added two of the larger nano voyagers inside the display. I don't think that's too much flow even. Detritus still settles in some spots for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musing.Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 05:22 AM   #67
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musing.Dog View Post
I upgraded my stock pump to the 1.5 and added two of the larger nano voyagers inside the display. I don't think that's too much flow even. Detritus still settles in some spots for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well looks like I'll have to get used to the power heads then, thanks for the input.

Did your display section water level change much when you added the bigger pump? If not I'm contemplating adding a lip to the inside of the overflows to raise it a little bit

Unread 07/28/2017, 02:08 PM   #68
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
Well looks like I'll have to get used to the power heads then, thanks for the input.

Did your display section water level change much when you added the bigger pump? If not I'm contemplating adding a lip to the inside of the overflows to raise it a little bit

I just added more saltwater to the tank as the sicce 1.5 was pulling more than what was coming through the baffles. With enough water the display level rises. I'm definitely running it much higher than IM says in their manual.

Musing.Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 03:06 PM   #69
ILikeURWrasse
Registered Member

What light is this that you are running on the IM25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
And a little sand and live rock, the stock pump sucks. Too loud to be putting out so little flow... New pump might beat out lighting as my first upgrade

ILikeURWrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 03:23 PM   #70
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeURWrasse View Post
What light is this that you are running on the IM25?
That was a light I was running just during cycle, it's an eco Pico LED strip light, it was off my old fluval spec ~2.5gal Pico I was running a few years back.
Right now I'm running an ai prime non-dairy and love it

Unread 07/28/2017, 04:52 PM   #71
ILikeURWrasse
Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

So are you using the AI Prime HD or non HD?

Also, what is the height of your light to the water surface?

ILikeURWrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 05:23 PM   #72
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeURWrasse View Post
Thanks for the info.

So are you using the AI Prime HD or non HD?

Also, what is the height of your light to the water surface?
Non-hd sorry not non-dairy haha
and about 9" Above the rim with the flex arm

Unread 07/30/2017, 08:37 AM   #73
bk.
Registered Member

Still looking into these tanks. The depth is 12". Do you know what the actual depth of water is though?

Thanks!

Unread 07/30/2017, 08:54 AM   #74
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk. View Post
Still looking into these tanks. The depth is 12". Do you know what the actual depth of water is though?

Thanks!
The water level is about 1.5-1.25' below the lip depending on how long it's been since I changed out the filter floss.
Hoping when I replace the pump with a sicce 1.5 it will sit at about 1" below the lip.

Unread 07/30/2017, 10:03 AM   #75
bk.
Registered Member

Much appreciated. I was looking at the sicce 1.5 vs 2.0. Can the 2.0 be throttled back enough to not blow everything around but also eliminate the need for additional powerheads? Or is it more the location of the tank outflow pipes that may require additional powerheads?