Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2018, 10:38 AM   #1
930Reef
Registered Member

New to hobby...help IDing this worm?

New to the hobby, and oh man, is this awesome. Set up is a new 15 gal nano with a 15 gallon sump.

Every day I get up and see something new that has come out of live rock. First it was a Kenya Tree (I know they can be a PITA, but it's under control for now.) So cool to watch. Now I'm seeing the rock crawling with tiny inverts when lights go down. About 18 lbs of cured live rock are in at present. Will be adding more. Yesterday, I saw at least two of these worms. The pic attached is the biggest; about 1" long to give you an idea. Just a bristleworm? Just curious as I know some can be nasty. Best pic I could get. Sorry if no head shot. Any info and/or recommendations are appreciated. You folks rule. Thanks again!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worm ID.jpg (75.3 KB, 39 views)
930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 10:53 AM   #2
humphreyhh
Registered Member

It does looks like some type of bristle worm somehow (or maybe fireworm I’m no expert in hitchhikers since I got zero of them). If so, just be ware that they can grow quite large and might hunt on some inverts when food source is not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 12:52 PM   #3
badbreath
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930Reef View Post
New to the hobby, and oh man, is this awesome. Set up is a new 15 gal nano with a 15 gallon sump.

Every day I get up and see something new that has come out of live rock. First it was a Kenya Tree (I know they can be a PITA, but it's under control for now.) So cool to watch. Now I'm seeing the rock crawling with tiny inverts when lights go down. About 18 lbs of cured live rock are in at present. Will be adding more. Yesterday, I saw at least two of these worms. The pic attached is the biggest; about 1" long to give you an idea. Just a bristleworm? Just curious as I know some can be nasty. Best pic I could get. Sorry if no head shot. Any info and/or recommendations are appreciated. You folks rule. Thanks again!
Bristle worm...no big deal. Will eat leftovers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

badbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 05:28 PM   #4
930Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbreath View Post
Bristle worm...no big deal. Will eat leftovers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Unread 01/25/2018, 05:29 PM   #5
930Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
It does looks like some type of bristle worm somehow (or maybe fireworm I’m no expert in hitchhikers since I got zero of them). If so, just be ware that they can grow quite large and might hunt on some inverts when food source is not enough.

Thanks!