Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2012, 02:46 PM   #251
Rybren
Registered Member

Peter and Shawn, congratulations on the success of this tank. I do believe that you have managed to OUT GRAND the Grand Masters!

I also watched the video in "Hi" format. It was perfect.

Great work.

Unread 04/21/2012, 05:29 PM   #252
chingchai
Premium Member

Peter. Thank you for this great video.
Your dedication for us in this hobby is truly unbelievable.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 06:13 PM   #253
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
BRAVO! Tremendous job Peter, well worth the wait.

The cinematography was stunning - I loved everything about it (HD worked fine.)

Looking forward to future installments.
Thank you very much Tom. I'm pleased the HD is working for most folks. I think Mr. Wilson wants to do an eye candy episode next....Rob the videographer shot almost 8 hours of stuff so we now have some good stock footage. We may survey the community on the script alternatives......Thanks for checking in.....

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 06:17 PM   #254
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dainiusiva View Post
Peter, Shawn and the Team,

You have made an incredible job on the tank and on the presentation.

I am very happy to finally "see you in flesh" as opposed to seeing you static in pictures. I cannot give any critique on the video itself mainly because i am just so filled with joy and amazement

Once again great job guys.

Regards from Lithuania,
Dainius
Mr. Wilson and I are very honoured that this video made it to Lithuania. Thank you for your continuing support Dainius. I hope we are able to improve as we attempt more episodes in the near future.

Peter

Unread 04/21/2012, 06:26 PM   #255
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitr View Post
Sir,
I have to watch it 5 times and it gets better and better each time.
Also I did notice any Achilles tang in the video.( It's one of Ching chai signature fish along with rare dwarf Angels and gem tang)
No I don't have the skill that Chingchai has to raise an achilles Tang. I have to be very careful now as to which fish I add to the tank. The harmony and balance with my existing fish population is working very well. I have six actively breeding pairs of Banggai Cardinals who have produced close to 50 healthy offspring and I do not want to upset that harmony in the tank. My Maroon Clowns are breeding as well.......just like in the wild.

Peter

Unread 04/21/2012, 06:29 PM   #256
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybren View Post
Peter and Shawn, congratulations on the success of this tank. I do believe that you have managed to OUT GRAND the Grand Masters!

I also watched the video in "Hi" format. It was perfect.

Great work.
Thanks for the feedback on the video performance. It sounds like we can use the same workflow for the next episodes. There is only one Grand Master and he lives in Thailand!!!!!!

Peter

Unread 04/21/2012, 06:34 PM   #257
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Peter. Thank you for this great video.
Your dedication for us in this hobby is truly unbelievable.
If I am dedicated Chingchai you must be obsessed (in a good way, of course). I have to admit I watched your video more than once. I hope that someday we might be able to collaborate .........

Thanks Chingchai,

Peter

Unread 04/21/2012, 06:37 PM   #258
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Simply amazing and beautiful, Peter! Truly inspirational!!! Thank you for sharing your video and great accomplishments with us.

Dan

danfeig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 06:40 PM   #259
geaux xman
Registered Member

Enjoyed the video thoroughly, Peter. Can't wait to see the following vids.

Unread 04/21/2012, 07:08 PM   #260
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Simply amazing and beautiful, Peter! Truly inspirational!!! Thank you for sharing your video and great accomplishments with us.

Dan
Thanks very much Dan.....

Peter

Unread 04/21/2012, 07:18 PM   #261
dakota1972
Registered Member

wow

This has to be one of the most beautiful tanks ive ever seen. I appreciate the time and dedication you've. Given

dakota1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 08:02 PM   #262
msr224
Registered Member

Peter and Shawn,

I want to take a second to personally thank the both of you for your service to this community. You are both an asset to our hobby.

The video worked flawlessly in HD. I appreciate the time and effort that you give to us and wish you much more success.

Thanks for the wonderful journey that you have allowed us to all be part of. I for one know that it has inspired me to be a better hobbyist and to raise my own personal goals for my system. I have already seen the fruits of my labor and I owe it to people such as you, Shawn and Chingchai.

Thanks again! I raise my glass in salute to you. Hopefully we will raise them together soon!

Scott

Current Tank Info: Just a mixed reef tank.
msr224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 09:22 PM   #263
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr224 View Post
Peter and Shawn,

I want to take a second to personally thank the both of you for your service to this community. You are both an asset to our hobby.

The video worked flawlessly in HD. I appreciate the time and effort that you give to us and wish you much more success.

Thanks for the wonderful journey that you have allowed us to all be part of. I for one know that it has inspired me to be a better hobbyist and to raise my own personal goals for my system. I have already seen the fruits of my labor and I owe it to people such as you, Shawn and Chingchai.

Thanks again! I raise my glass in salute to you. Hopefully we will raise them together soon!

Scott
Scott, as one of the anchor tenants in this community you certainly have shared the journey with us from the very beginning. Shawn and I very much appreciate your kind words of support.

This community is proof of concept to the notion that the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts. Your enthusiasm mirrored back to us is spiritual fuel for the heart.

Thank you and we will get a chance to sit around the same table in the near future.......possibly all wearing oversized hats!!!!
Thanks for the feedback on HD.

Peter

Unread 04/21/2012, 09:26 PM   #264
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1972 View Post
This has to be one of the most beautiful tanks ive ever seen. I appreciate the time and dedication you've. Given
Thanks for the encouragement.

Peter

Unread 04/21/2012, 10:21 PM   #265
robferrari
Registered Member

Truly breathtaking. I could not stop smiling while watching the video. Very well done. A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about what a "reef TV" channel would be like. Something that goes beyond what reality shows and other documentaries provide us with. I believe videos like this are the answer. Thank you so much for the time and effort you have put into your reef and everything else to make this such an enjoyable experience for everyone.*

Current Tank Info: Mixed reef LPS dominant 80 gallon custom Starphire, 6x54w ATI sunpower, Reef Octopus BH-2000, 3 Koralia EVOs, TLF 150, 140lbs fiji
robferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 10:22 PM   #266
dave.m
Registered Member

This is just a personal note and you may not share my view, but in my opinion this video works best by downloading it first. That way it is also available for viewing multiple times at highest resolution.

Just my 2˘.

Dave.m

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 11:03 PM   #267
Russter
Northern Reefer

Amazing video. Truly setting the bar for aquarium keeping and how we view it. The only problem that I could find was that I thought the audio level of your voices was too low when the music was playing. Otherwise everything was great.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon
Russter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 04:50 AM   #268
kinlayan
Registered Member

What a great video , nicely done and i must say the coral growth is looking wonderful!

How many Moorish idols are now in the aquarium? and for how long?

kinlayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 06:40 AM   #269
mkbtank
Premium Member

Wow. Beautifully done Peter and team! Loved the info on the bottom of the screen as I watched. In all this time, I dont think that I ever "got it" that the smaller side of the "L" is 8 feet!

Corals are growing and filling in amzingly well.

Also seeing each dedicated "Grand Master" inspired area was awesome.

Peter, I think that you may be the grand master of "The search, implementation, and documentation of reef related best practices".

Of course you are only as good as the team which you assemble but you are the lynch pin. Thank you for your continued sharing.

Mitch

mkbtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 07:09 AM   #270
lotusstar
Registered Member

Astonishing. I kinda feel foolish to admit, but I remember seeing the posts about video yadda yadda yadda and was wondering why it was taking so long. I guess I was thinking it'd be like a video, home movie sort of thing. I wasn't expecting something worthy of national geographic. I confess I have been a rather silent member of the community, preferring to be more of a sponge to all the knowledge put forth here. I am meticulously planning my upgrade build and reference this thread quite a bit for help. Can't wait to see further videos. If you and mr Wilson are taking votes for next installments I'd love to see the led video as that was a much debated topic. Anyway, whatever video you guys release next im sure will be wonderful. Thanks! By the way, watched in 720 and it worked great.

lotusstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 07:39 AM   #271
Elliott
Registered Member

video is excellent, very professionally done, I would suggest future videos be dedicated to specific topics in some detail, such as QT procedures, phosphate/nitrate control, pest control, problem solving, etc.

many thanks Peter and Shawn!

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 08:11 AM   #272
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post

I have a question about flow from what I read from the website. The skimmer that I am using(Reeflo Hurricone CAT3 protein skimmer) to work proficiently needs to be fed around 1000 gph. The website states that the flow should be 1.33333 times the tank size or volume and equal to the skimmer feed. My setup DT will be 8'L x 4'W x 2'H which comes out to about 478 gallons. Multiply that by the 1.333 and that puts my sump volume flow to approximately 650 gallons. Even with power heads isn't that flow low for my setup or am I reading your concept wrong?
Your skimmer should have a steady supply of fresh (unskimmed water) for your skimmer. If you put your skimmer randomly in the sump and allow the exiting water to mix with newly drained display tank water, you will lose efficiency.

Your skimmer should be setup to direct exiting water over a baffle so it goes directly to the display and isn't re-skimmed.

If you go with this first-in first-out method, than you need to have a sump pump that moves 1,000 (real world) GPH. That means you need a pump that is rated for somewhere around 1300-1600 GPH to compensate for head loss.

In general, protein skimmers use pumps that move 300-500 GPH through them. In your case, you have a big skimmer pump that moves 1,000 GPH. The skimmer that Peter uses on his 1350 gallon tank moves 1,500 GPH through it, so our sump pumps does the same (1,500GPH).

The formula of 1.333 is just a catch all number that has exceptions, such as your big pump skimmer. If you don't use a first-in first-out flow in your sump, then you need to compensate for the inefficient processing of the same water repeatedly. You would need to move 6,000 GPH past the skimmer to assure that most of it is "new" water available. Nobody wants to move and drain 6,000 GPH through their tank just to make up for inefficient skimmer plumbing, so I strongly suggest you direct the exiting water over a baffle so it heads toward the return pump. Fortunately, your skimmer has a high exit port so this is easy to do.

If your sump pump moves more than 1,000 GPH, some water will by-pass the skimmer. This is a minor waste of resources, but not a major issue. If your pump moves less than 1,000 GPH, the shortfall will be skimmed twice, which is a little bit more of an efficiency concern, but again, not the end of the world.

I recommend the Waveline 5,000 (1350 GPH) DC return pump for your return pump. It will move a little over 1,000 GPH at your likely head height (you guys don't have basements in Florida ). The Waveline pumps are dead quiet, low voltage, have speed control, 10 minute feed mode, run cool, and only consume 40watts.

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 08:24 AM   #273
lotusstar
Registered Member

Interesting mr Wilson. I hadn't thought of the redundancy of skimming the same water. Just thought it would be better. So for those of us with internal skimmers in sump you are saying we should have the outflow expelled into the next section of the sump to increase the skimmers efficiency? Is the difference that noticeable to justify adding a few plumbing pieces to do so? Thanks.

lotusstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 08:31 AM   #274
fla2341
Registered Member

Peter,

Video worked at all resolutions. Excellent job on the intro. Glad to see that the LED's are working out so well. Look forward to the next installments. Thanks again for sharing.

Unread 04/22/2012, 09:41 AM   #275
RGibson
RGibson

Mr wilson i have a 12year old 180 gal reef tank and i need to know how to stop majana anemones.