Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2017, 06:09 PM   #1
RIGUY314
Registered Member

Vortech Schedule for Anemones

Hello - need some insight.

We currently have a Red Sea Reefer 425XL (47*22*22) with mainly LPS, zoas and the prize of the tank a nice Elegance. We have an Atlantic Anemone in the tank that has been with us for years but would like to add a Mag or gig with some clowns. We have 2 MP40WQD on each side of the tank. Our schedule is night mode (constant speed - 8%) from 9pm-6am. there is an hour and half ramp up time to reef crest mode which runs at 12% from 7:30-7:30 with 1 1/2 hour ramp down to the night mode. according to Echotech's flow calculator, ew cannot add to much more for the LPS we have.

Interested to hear what programming schedules fellow reefers have for their tanks with anemones and Vortech MP's. Specifically, Gigs and Mags. Your programing modes, times and night modes.

thanks in advance for all insight offered!

upgrade in process - Reef Savvy 60*24*24 rimless mixed reef - w/the works

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425XL
RIGUY314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Steve Atkins
Registered Member

If you get a magnifica you might need to arrange your pumps to provide maximum flow at the top of the tank and more subdued flow near the bottom for your LPS. The magnifica will climb to the highest brightest spot it can find and does best with a vigorous current.
I use random pump action with a slightly lower maximum at night. One of the pumps is only about 20 cm from the anemone and aims just over the top of it where the anemone can stretch up to catch some extra 'breeze' if it wants to. This is with Tunze pumps but I doubt the anemone cares a lot about that.

Unread 09/18/2017, 08:59 PM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

I have a 65 gal tank 37X19X25. I have MagnificaX2 (one that split) and a Gigantea. I have 2 MP10, one on each side. 100% lagoon mode independent on each side and night mode, which is constant 50%. My anemones are doing great.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 07:13 PM   #4
RIGUY314
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Atkins View Post
If you get a magnifica you might need to arrange your pumps to provide maximum flow at the top of the tank and more subdued flow near the bottom for your LPS. The magnifica will climb to the highest brightest spot it can find and does best with a vigorous current.
I use random pump action with a slightly lower maximum at night. One of the pumps is only about 20 cm from the anemone and aims just over the top of it where the anemone can stretch up to catch some extra 'breeze' if it wants to. This is with Tunze pumps but I doubt the anemone cares a lot about that.
Hi Steve - Thank you for the input! I will have to try it. I'll move one MP40 up towards the top pointing at the island with the anemone and increase the flow. We'll see if the LPS can live with flow. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I have a 65 gal tank 37X19X25. I have MagnificaX2 (one that split) and a Gigantea. I have 2 MP10, one on each side. 100% lagoon mode independent on each side and night mode, which is constant 50%. My anemones are doing great.
Hi Orion - hope you and family are doing better with everything that has happened. I originally had tried that schedule but the LPS just wouldn't have it. do you have any corals in the tank with anemones? actually thought of setting up the Reefer 425XL for strictly anemones when the new tank gets here. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Unread 09/21/2017, 02:54 PM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

Really there is no reason to ramp down at night period, and in our small contained systems it's really best to keep flow up at night.

As for nems, agree, mag and gig like high light and medium to high flow, my vorts are on reefcrest mode for the random flow, and they are independent, non synch'd, and I have 2x MP40QD's in my 120g at about 85%, and this remains constant.

All my mags have been perfectly happy and have not moved from their island perch.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 07:06 PM   #6
RIGUY314
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Really there is no reason to ramp down at night period, and in our small contained systems it's really best to keep flow up at night.

As for nems, agree, mag and gig like high light and medium to high flow, my vorts are on reefcrest mode for the random flow, and they are independent, non synch'd, and I have 2x MP40QD's in my 120g at about 85%, and this remains constant.

All my mags have been perfectly happy and have not moved from their island perch.
hey there thank you for the input! If I raise the flow past where I am, the LPS really don't like it. looks like we may have to make a dedicated anemone tank.

Unread 09/23/2017, 10:57 AM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

It can be tricky sometimes when we have mixed reefs to please all animals, size of tank and scaping are factor, tank depth.

I purposely make and island high up for mag, and my vorts are fairly high up, my softies are down below as they need less light and flow is not so strong.

Sometimes it takes some playing around, bouncing off glass panel to diffuse, but sometimes you just can't please all.

I've always been about clowns and nems, so they always get priority.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 04:51 AM   #8
RIGUY314
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
It can be tricky sometimes when we have mixed reefs to please all animals, size of tank and scaping are factor, tank depth.

I purposely make and island high up for mag, and my vorts are fairly high up, my softies are down below as they need less light and flow is not so strong.

Sometimes it takes some playing around, bouncing off glass panel to diffuse, but sometimes you just can't please all.

I've always been about clowns and nems, so they always get priority.
makes sense. the animals live in different environments in the ocean and we (or I ) would like them all to live in a 4*2*2. the tank is built around having clowns and an anemone. When we find the right anemone, we will just have to make him the center and focus the rest of the tank around him. thanks again for the info.