Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Marco Fernandes
Registered Member

Cardinal Bangaii Fish

Hi,

I have a formed pair of bangaii cardinal, born both in 13/04/2011.

The male have had 3/4 times eggs in his mounth but he always spits it after one or two days after.

First one was on 13/12/2011, then 7/01/2012, and 27/03/2012, and im almost sure that he breed also in february but ive been out on vacation on week 18 to 25 so cant confirm that.

Do you think its normal on the first times of breeding that the male aborts? spits the eggs?

Can any1 help me , would love to sucessfuly breed this fishes.

TY

Marco Fernandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Jaypilot
Registered Member

I have two pair that I am trying to breed now. They are both a little young so I am not expecting eggs for a little wile now. So I don't know first hand but I have done alot of reading on the cardinals and it seems like the biggest cause of this is food. They need a lot of food a few times a day. The male will hold the eggs for almost 3 weeks with out eating. So if they are not holding a little extra weight before holding the eggs then they may not hold them to term. Look for a really fatty food that is high in protein. A lot of people feed them brine shrimp but unfortunately that does not have a lot of nutritional value to it.

Jaypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Marco Fernandes
Registered Member

More opinions plz? do you think its from the food? they seem well, not slim but...

Marco Fernandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2012, 04:14 PM   #4
john miller
Registered Member

My male first held to hatch on clutch number 5 or 6, can't remember which. Ended up having issues soon after and didn't hold again for another couple of months.
He is currently holding but for the last 2 or 3 times he has spit them out between day 5 and 7. From my limited experience, and what I've read, holding is extremely difficult on the males and especially hard on juvenile males so proper nutrition is extremely important as is pristine water conditions.

I've really ramped up the food lately (and have the algae explosion to prove it) seeing if that is his problem. I should be able to say if it helped in a few days.

john miller is offline   Reply With Quote