Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2019, 10:29 AM   #1
mcowan
Registered Member

Cleaner shrimp missing

I have a 55g FOWLR tank in my classroom with a midas blenny, coral beauty, two clowns, and a chalk bass as well as some hermits. I had a cleaner shrimp but he went missing over the weekend. I don't feed my fish over the weekend since this is a tank at school, and I had taken Friday off so I think he died and then must have been devoured by the clean up crew.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea why the cleaner shrimp died? I want to get another cleaner shrimp so just looking to avoid the new one also dying. Here are my theories:

1. Is it possible that it starved to death? I'm always afraid of overfeeding so I only give the whole tank a half a cube of frozen food (alternate between mysis shrimp and angelfish food) per day 5x a week, plus sometimes some flake food. Does this seem like it's not enough? I haven't seen him molt in months.
2. Is it possible there is something wrong with the water? I also lost an urchin a few months ago. I just use tap water and add prime water conditioner, and let it sit for at least 24 hours before adding it to the tank. Wondering if I need an RODI but they seem excessive to me. I have heard you need to add iodine to water with a shrimp too, is this true?
3. Is it possible that my fish were hungry and ate him? My midas blenny is a total jerk and constantly nips at other fish.

I've had him for at least a year and a half so I suppose it could be old age. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful thanks

mcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcowan View Post
I have a 55g FOWLR tank in my classroom with a midas blenny, coral beauty, two clowns, and a chalk bass as well as some hermits. I had a cleaner shrimp but he went missing over the weekend. I don't feed my fish over the weekend since this is a tank at school, and I had taken Friday off so I think he died and then must have been devoured by the clean up crew.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea why the cleaner shrimp died? I want to get another cleaner shrimp so just looking to avoid the new one also dying. Here are my theories:

1. Is it possible that it starved to death? I'm always afraid of overfeeding so I only give the whole tank a half a cube of frozen food (alternate between mysis shrimp and angelfish food) per day 5x a week, plus sometimes some flake food. Does this seem like it's not enough? I haven't seen him molt in months.
2. Is it possible there is something wrong with the water? I also lost an urchin a few months ago. I just use tap water and add prime water conditioner, and let it sit for at least 24 hours before adding it to the tank. Wondering if I need an RODI but they seem excessive to me. I have heard you need to add iodine to water with a shrimp too, is this true?
3. Is it possible that my fish were hungry and ate him? My midas blenny is a total jerk and constantly nips at other fish.

I've had him for at least a year and a half so I suppose it could be old age. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful thanks
Are you sure he's gone?
Shrimps are notorious for hiding after they molt until they "harden"
Mine disappear for 5-7 days, then reappear!

All three are possible. I doubt he starved.
Iodide in the water at a constant rate of 0.03-0.06 helps them molt.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Orsamax
Registered Member

I have no solid evidence to back this up, but I "re-homed" a reef tank for my inlaws that had 2 fire shrimp in it. They were both more of a milky pinkish color in my inlaws tank and they "paid" me in shrimp for my labor. As soon as I took mine home (one of the two) it brightened up almost immediately. They used "purple" salt from instant ocean and I use reef crystals. I helped them clean/setup their tank after the move so I know that it was done (relatively) correctly. Their shrimp has died (after only a few months) mine seems as bright and vibrant as ever. While theirs could have died of age (I have heard that fire/cleaner shrimp only live 3-5 years) I also think that its possible that the more basic "purple" salt may not have enough iodine or other trace elements needed in a more complex reef community tank. Again, I only have that anecdotal experience, but that indicates to me that you should be using either iodine supplements (after testing, of course) or that you should use salt for reef systems. As many on here will tell you, water changes with reef salt will put all the trace elements you could ever want in all but the most complex of systems, and is, therefore, the recommended solution to trace elements. If you've been using reef salt, then disregard all I've said. It could just be hiding.

Orsamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 06:59 AM   #4
FishAndPhysics
Registered Member

RODI's are essential if you want to keep inverts. That is a fact. Whether or not this particular issue can be traced to tap water I'm not sure, but get an rodi.

Unread 03/21/2019, 09:17 AM   #5
jlmawp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAndPhysics View Post
RODI's are essential if you want to keep inverts. That is a fact. Whether or not this particular issue can be traced to tap water I'm not sure, but get an rodi.
+1 on RODI. You might be okay with just tap water, but it's worth it just to know that the water quality aspect of things is a non-factor when dealing with your tank. Cleaner shrimp are pretty hardy little buggers, so it could be the tap water.

You mentioned an urchin dying. Do you have any other inverts, or do you have a hard time keeping them?

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2019, 07:30 AM   #6
Thinner25
Registered Member

I had the same experience. This is when I had a 40 gallon mixed reef breeder tank. I had a blue hippo tang, two flurry clown fished, and a Lamarck angel fish. I went to a 5 day vacation and when I came home my clear shrimp was gone! I do have an auto feeder and all my fished ate pellets. I searched for it and moved my rocks (since my rock pieces were bigger so it was easy) but no where to be found! It is really a mystery. I did not replace my cleaner shrimp though. I have a 125g now but no cleaner shrimp.

Thinner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2019, 08:47 AM   #7
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Have you tested the water? I don't believe that it is possible that any of the fish you mentioned could "eat" the shrimp due to how small their mouths are. A hungry CUC could take care of a cleaner shrimp over a few day period. Typically molting once a month is typical IME. I'm not sure of the lifespan of shrimp but I can't think it is more than 2-3 years

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 10:28 AM   #8
Orsamax
Registered Member

As per my post above about the type of salt, I had hitherto overlooked the fact that my in-laws use TAP WATER, not RODI. So ++1 on the RODI being a possible culprit in the case of my in-laws...

Orsamax is offline   Reply With Quote