Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2019, 02:45 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

bioptim is a substitute for carbon dosing?

Hi,

I'm trying to find something that I do not need to dose daily that functions as carbon dosing. Is bioptim what I"m looking for? I need something to boost my NO3 break down. I have an NO3 brick, which I tried after trying Biodigest . Biodigest did not get my nitrates down much. I dont think NO3 brick will either since biodigest did not. I seem to be dumping all I can do lower my nitrates... When in the end C dosing is what I need. But I'd rather not dose every day, and prefer not to dose vodka or vinegar.

Anyhow, from what I read so far (minimal, honestly) it looks like bioptim may be a good alternative. It does cost much more than the tiny amt of vodka it would be replacing, but I'd much rather pay that and have to dose much less often (once a week or 2). Plus if it's better to dose all the time, I can perhaps add it to my auto top off (???).

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2019, 03:19 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I swear... you need a good slapping...
Buy a darn dosing pump already
You cannot get around the simplicity and proven results of carbon dosing..
The money you have spent already and the money you would on bioptim regularly is just silly...
You are 0 for 2 already... Don't strike out..

DP2 is under $50.
Gallon of vinegar is $3 and perfectly pure..
https://www.amazon.com/Jecod-DP-2-Pr...gateway&sr=8-4

Bioptim is NOT a replacement for carbon dosing..

Yes.. This will be the last time I reply to any of your posts.. I can't stand it anymore..

Unread 08/03/2019, 03:26 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I swear... you need a good slapping...
Buy a darn dosing pump already
The money you have spent already and the money you would on bioptim regularly is just silly...

DP2 is under $50.
Gallon of vinegar is $3 and perfectly pure..
https://www.amazon.com/Jecod-DP-2-Pr...gateway&sr=8-4

Bioptim is NOT a replacement for carbon dosing..
Hi Mcg.. i'm not worried about the cost.. I said that
Dosing pump would take up more space with anothe rreservoire.. if I need to I will.. just like if I need to do vodka I will.
I probably mis-read what bioptim does.. I thought it might be a replacement for C dosing. It probably is not.
**You think it's posslble to add vinegar to my top off water in a small amount?? That can be dosed all the time continuously. Again, I dont mind having even an expensive add on doser, but i really have no where to put it.
**Does acetic acid evaporate quickly? That's the only reason I can think that it wouldnt work in a longer term doser, such as my top off that i fill every 3-5 days. '
This is probably anothe rpost, as it's off subject.

Unread 08/04/2019, 05:57 AM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

The brick (essentially a rock) will take months to house enough bacteria to add to export capabilities.

What your adding you already have, just need patience to let the process work.

Even carbon dosing takes months

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2019, 07:18 AM   #5
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
**You think it's posslble to add vinegar to my top off water in a small amount?? That can be dosed all the time continuously. Again, I dont mind having even an expensive add on doser, but i really have no where to put it.
**Does acetic acid evaporate quickly? That's the only reason I can think that it wouldnt work in a longer term doser, such as my top off that i fill every 3-5 days.
You can't put vinegar in your top-off water. It will cause a bacterial bloom in the top off holding vessel. You could add it every day manually or get a dosing pump. All you need is a dosing pump and a gallon jug of vinegar. Surely there is room for that somewhere. FYI, most dosing pumps will pump liquids for pretty long distances... 60' or more. You don't have to have it under the tank.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 06:11 PM   #6
CTaylor
Registered Member

Ty Uncle and reefgeezer
I just let the brick 'settle' and my nitrates now test at 2-5 ppm. It makes sense as the tank is looking very good overall. I'm glad I gave it time and didn't jump into Carbon dosing.

Unread 10/15/2019, 06:53 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
Ty Uncle and reefgeezer
I just let the brick 'settle' and my nitrates now test at 2-5 ppm. It makes sense as the tank is looking very good overall. I'm glad I gave it time and didn't jump into Carbon dosing.
Great news and thanks for the update.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2019, 07:55 PM   #8
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Great news and thanks for the update.
Yes.. I'll test again when I get new test kit in a few days... Back to testing more often to keep it in check.

Unread 11/07/2019, 02:32 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

I mix up 2 liters of a 70/30 vinegar/vodka mix and use a dosing pump controlled by Apex and dose 110 ml/day. You could easily store that amount in a pitcher and dose by hand a couple times a day. A pump is a convenience not a necessity.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2019, 03:12 PM   #10
rocklobster1
Registered Member

Just start a fuge algae is the best at removing nitrate.

rocklobster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2019, 09:24 PM   #11
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster1 View Post
Just start a fuge algae is the best at removing nitrate.
My Chaeto grows really well, but on it's own along with my huge heavy dense LR, I coudnt keep NO3 down. The birght well no3 brick after several months seems to be helping it get to 4-7 ppm. THe corals all look very happy. ALso dosing acropower (to make up for nearly 0 ppB phosphate (????)) ... Happiness right now