Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Zpmada
Registered Member

Tank since September 2017. Green hair algae outbreak coming?

Hello,

I first put dry dead rock in my 29 gallon saltwater tank with live sand and RODI water mixed with vibrant sea in September 2017.

I was adding Brightwell aquatics complete culture from then until November 2017. I also ghost fed a little and did a 50% water change.

In November 2017 I added reef cleaners 29 gallon clean up crew, snails only as I was concern hermit crabs would kill all the snails. So far so good, maybe one strand of hair algae that went away.

By December 2017 I had two clownfish, 1 Cardial fish, one purple firefish, a watchman goby and pistol shrimp. I did weekly 4 gallon water changes, and my parameters always looked good (zero ammonia, zero nitrite, zero nitrate, 0 phosphate, 380ppm calcium, salinity 1.025, temperature 78f,

The sand it too fine for me to gravel vac, but I figure my snails and watchman goby help clean it.

I also have a reef octopus classic 100 skimmer, aquaclear 50 with the included charcoal and bioball bag. I don't use the sponge as I hear it can be a nitrate trap.

About a week ago I started noticing what is looking like a green hair algae outbreak. Yesterday I bumped up my weekly 4 gallon water change to 5 gallon even though I'm still reading 0ppm nitrate with my API test kit.

I am noticing some coraline algae starting up, but only on the rock facing the powerhead.

Not sure what is going on with this hair algae. Nothing changed lately. I attached photos just incase it's not freen hair algae. Some is a little brown looking.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7388.jpg (56.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7390.jpg (55.9 KB, 55 views)
Zpmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 11:11 PM   #2
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Is that pukani rocks you using? It could be hair algae. Re check your phosphate readings. Also api test aren’t always accurate, that’s what I was told. The brown probably diatom algae.

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 06:41 AM   #3
Rover88
Registered Member

Brown is likely diatom.

Green hair algae is a natural part of your cycle, and it will likely come and go. If its not excessive just keep an eye on it. Your husbandry sounds great, so it'll probably arrive and leave all on its own. If you see any really bad patches you can manually remove it, thats what I did when it made a small carpet.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 10:47 AM   #4
sde1500
Registered Member

LOL, is that first picture what you are calling an outbreak? That is no outbreak. All tanks will get some algae. A little dusting here and there, some strands of GHA. No tank is perfectly rid of it. A new tank like yours will have rocks change all sorts of colors, from algae and diatoms etc. I would suggest you do not freak out, and keep doing what you are doing, which seems adequate. The only critique I'd make would be 4 fish within a month in a 29 gallon tank is aggressively stocking it.

BTW, this is a GHA outbreak:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 10:59 AM   #5
Zpmada
Registered Member

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I was concern aggressively stocking the tank might be the cause.

The rock that I am using is called "SOUTH SEAS BASE ROCK" from Dr Foster and Smith. I have 30 lbs of it.

I also have 40 lbs of CaribSea Caribbean Live Sand Original Grade. I'm happy with it other than not being able to gravel vac. The sand is so fine that everything gets sucked up, even on the lowest setting of the Python vac.

Thanks again for the feedback. I just noticed this stuff sprouting up the past couple days and I thought that was rather quick, as it wasn't as obvious the few weeks before.

Also, I haven't seen the best reviews on the API phosphate test, so that only non-api test I have. I am using the PO4 Salifert test.

Thanks

Zpmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 03:48 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Welcome to an aquarium..
What you have is absolutely normal and absolutely a very..very..very..very minor issue..

I'd be concerned if a tank didn't have algae of some sort or another..