Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2012, 08:19 AM   #1
sarahlovesfish
Registered Member

fire goby discovered with ich

Last morning I found my fire goby with ich. I am having a pretty hard time catching it. I am also going to catch the midas, and blue green chromis, and leave the tank fishless for maybe a month. I am going to treat them with hyposalinity. So what do you think is a good way to catch them, I did read the stickies about how to catch fish. I was thinking about tearing up the tank. Actually, I kind of want to, because I want to change the rockwork. When I take the live rock out, where do I put it? I have a 20 and a 10 gallon, but I am using both for the fish. But I have a few containers. Maybe I should use those. Do live rock need some movement in the water?

sarahlovesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2012, 08:32 AM   #2
Lorenz725
Registered Member

As long as the rock does not dry you will be ok. I have in the past when changing my rock work just take it out and set it on a trap then put it back peace by peace. Also when I bought some LR and had to transport it for about 20 min I just took some towels and soaked them in the tank water. I then just covered the rock with the wet towels and did not have any problems with the rock drying out.

5.5 gallon AIO mixed reef, 2 18 w T5HO, built in fuge with cheato and dragons breath.
Lorenz725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2012, 08:55 AM   #3
sarahlovesfish
Registered Member

Thanks, so does that mean that I should temporarily take the out, catch the fish, and put them back in right?

Unread 05/11/2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Lorenz725
Registered Member

I think that would be the easiest way to go. Trust me if you just leave one rock in there the fish will be hiding behind it. Since you have a smaller tank and want to redo the rock work anyways I would just take it all out. If you did not want to take it all out you could do the coke bottle trick. But with the fish being sick they might not want to eat anyways. Good luck!

5.5 gallon AIO mixed reef, 2 18 w T5HO, built in fuge with cheato and dragons breath.
Lorenz725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2012, 09:11 AM   #5
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

Not on the fish catching problem; but a month isn't enough time to leave your DT fishless. At least 9 weeks gives you much better odds of totally winning the battle.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2012, 01:50 PM   #6
sarahlovesfish
Registered Member

Thanks, I will keep the tank fishless even longer

Unread 05/11/2012, 04:12 PM   #7
sarahlovesfish
Registered Member

the ich parasite fell off the fire goby, so it is a good time to catch it.

Unread 05/11/2012, 07:16 PM   #8
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlovesfish View Post
the ich parasite fell off the fire goby, so it is a good time to catch it.
The white spots you see are not the actual parasite, which is buried under the skin. All the fish in that tank are infected with ich, even if you don't see spots. The visible spots have nothing to do with catching the fish. BTW, please don't post multiple threads with the same question. I just noticed I've been replying to the same question in two places....thanks!

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote