Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2019, 11:05 PM   #1
scattered
Registered Member

Biota Mandarin Dragonet...

What is the real limit these days on minimum tank size? Suggested tank size has traditionally been to ensure they had sufficient pod population that they would not starve. The online retailers maintain a 30G limit even when the Biota is for sale.

Long ago before I knew anything and before Biota had made such strides in creating a specimen that readily accepts multiple foods, I had a dragonet. They are very sedentary in my experience. I think I could get away with it in my 13.5G EVO. I would be more worried about aggression issues from my pair of clowns in the first few days. They do not 'own' the whole tank yet though so it would be the best time in that regard to add my final vertebrate.

I am very aware that the pair of clowns and a mandarin are a heavy bioload for a really small water volume. I am planning on automating daily ~10% water changes. I am going to have to custom build a stand to accommodate the new water reservoir, waste water reservoir, and RO/DI reservoir for top off. I will need ~8 gallons each on the first two, and ~3 gallons for the top off. At that rate I could go out of town for a work week and have a little headroom before I had overflows or outage. I cannot automate filling any of the water where I live now but I'll be buying my own place in the next few years and will plan on plumbing direct.

Unread 03/08/2019, 11:09 PM   #2
scattered
Registered Member

I never would go away for days without someone physically seeing my tank by the way. I just want to ensure if they forget to do x, y, or z, nothing bad happens.

Unread 03/21/2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Bary
Registered Member

I would worry more about the clowns. I have two pairs, now each alone in their own tanks, because they are all a bunch of aggressive a-holes that killed off most everything else.

Bary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2019, 07:15 PM   #4
scattered
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bary View Post
I would worry more about the clowns. I have two pairs, now each alone in their own tanks, because they are all a bunch of aggressive a-holes that killed off most everything else.

I was bit worried about that but my rockscape gives a massive amount of area the clowns do not go in and it is far from where they have been brooding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/22/2019, 08:58 PM   #5
reeferKen
Registered Member

I don't know if this helps but I was just looking over this so just passing it along
https://youtu.be/39VhT5nTGYg

reeferKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2019, 11:23 AM   #6
scattered
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferKen View Post
I don't know if this helps but I was just looking over this so just passing it along
https://youtu.be/39VhT5nTGYg

That’s a great video. Luckily tigger pods, cyclops, and baby brine are readily available and I need to stress that the Biota mandarins do not need live food. The are raised on frozen cyclops and baby brine.

That is not stopping me from supplementing with a refugium. I have already designed space for it and I have a ten gallon cycled with a pod population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk