Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2016, 11:34 PM   #1
Babydaull
Registered Member

Lucas's 20g nano

My name is Lucas,
I just go into this hobby and I purchased my first tank on May 6th, 2016. I bought a 20 gallon nuvo fusion from marine depot. I am starting a thread to show my progress and discuss tank stuff. I'll post pictures frequently and hopefully we can get a good thread going!

Babydaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 05:49 AM   #2
joedodge
Registered Member

Awesome can't wait for pics!

joedodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 01:55 AM   #3
Babydaull
Registered Member

20 gallon

Thanks for the reply joe! very busy week for me with memorial day. I have a lot of family events. Im looking a my tank tonight, looks like my peppermint shrimp is ready to molt soon! Hopefully I will find time to post pictures tomorrow!

Unread 05/30/2016, 09:47 PM   #4
Babydaull
Registered Member

pictures

Test photo

Unread 05/30/2016, 10:21 PM   #5
Babydaull
Registered Member

20 Gallon photos

I chose pepper and salt live sand, I also chose dry rock and then got a few pieces live rock that you can see in the photo

Unread 05/30/2016, 10:27 PM   #6
Babydaull
Registered Member

Pictures

This is my set-up, 20 gallon nuvo fusion from marinedepot. 15 pounds of salt and pepper live sand. 13.5 pounds of dry rock and a quarter pound of live rock.

Unread 05/30/2016, 10:31 PM   #7
Babydaull
Registered Member

Equipment

My methods of water movement .
1.) My tanks return pump does 211 gallons per hour
2.) The photo with the flash on is a hydor 425 gallons per hour powerhead
2.) The photo with no flash is a hydor 240 gallons per hour powerhead.

Unread 05/30/2016, 10:38 PM   #8
Babydaull
Registered Member

Equipment picture

My heater (picture 2) is an eheim jager 75 watt fully submersible heater.
Media reactor (picture 1) is an Innovative Marine desktop media reactor. This item was packaged with carbon on marinedepot. Once I finish the carbon, I will be running GFO in the media reactor and chemipure in my filter socks.

Unread 05/30/2016, 10:51 PM   #9
Babydaull
Registered Member

Tank Invertebrates

Picture one- The first livestock I put in my tank, peppermint shrimp. I bought the peppermint shrimp because I heard it was a hardy invertebrate to have during cycling. Once my tank is done cycling, I will probably give the shrimp back for a credit.

Picture two- This is a Scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp. I have had this shrimp for 2-3 days. This shrimp is extremely cool. I have viewed it cleaning my one fish several times and I even had it crawl and clean my hand tonight which was pretty cool.

Unread 05/30/2016, 10:56 PM   #10
Babydaull
Registered Member

Tank

This is the arch I created in my dry rock structure, I want this to be the view point in my tank. Kind of the center of attention. In the back is my Blue Chromis, I bought it for cycling as well, because it is a hardy fish. My Chromis is super cool, it often swims in my powerhead streams and is very active.

Unread 05/30/2016, 10:58 PM   #11
Babydaull
Registered Member

I will be starting weekly tank notes tonight. I set up the tank May 13th, so this is the middle of week three.

Unread 05/30/2016, 11:08 PM   #12
Babydaull
Registered Member

cleaner crew

This is a list of my cleaner crew.
1.) two Mexican Turbo Snails
2.) two Astraea Snails
3.) one Cerith Snail
4.) one blue hermit crab
5.) one Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
6.) one Peppermint Shrimp
7.) I am going to add 3-4 Nassaruis Snails
8.) I am going to add 1-2 Trochus Snails as well.
Let me know what you think of my selection and you own experiences with any of theses livestock options.

Unread 05/30/2016, 11:24 PM   #13
Babydaull
Registered Member

Week 3.5- Tanks notes

Everything is going great with my tank right now. My cleaner crew is doing awesome. I have had my cleaner crew for 3-4 days. I am almost on my 4th week of cycling. I take my water twice a week to local pet store to do a free water test. All my numbers look nice and my salinity is at 1.025. I am debating on what my next purchase should be for my tank. I have a blue Chromis right now and I think it would be cool to buy one or two more to have them school together. I would also like to have a tomato clown fish. I also ordered my AquaMaxx nemolight from Marine depot tonight. I have my first challenge for my tank. This challenge is me leaving June 3rd and coming back June 9th. My friend will be feeding my tank once in the morning and once in the evening. Based on how my tank condition is when I get back from vacation will determine my next purchase. I will also be doing my first 25% water change tomorrow after I get my water tested at petco.

Unread 05/30/2016, 11:26 PM   #14
Babydaull
Registered Member

Followers

Please feel free to offer any advice or opinions. Please also ask questions!
Thanks!

Unread 05/31/2016, 06:32 AM   #15
DustanT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydaull View Post
This is a list of my cleaner crew.
1.) two Mexican Turbo Snails
2.) two Astraea Snails
3.) one Cerith Snail
4.) one blue hermit crab
5.) one Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
6.) one Peppermint Shrimp
7.) I am going to add 3-4 Nassaruis Snails
8.) I am going to add 1-2 Trochus Snails as well.
Let me know what you think of my selection and you own experiences with any of theses livestock options.
I think you'll have to much CUC unless you feed heavy. Astraea Snails can't flip themselves back over either. 2 Turbo Snails, 2 Trochus Snails and a few hermits should be enough but every tank varies. I'm supersized the 2 shrimp don't fight. If you add Nassaruis Snails I would keep a close eye on them and make sure one doesn't die in the sand, I lost one a few weeks ago (died somewhere) and I'm still seeing the havoc it caused on my parameters. I'm supersized I haven't lost anything with them being so high.

It looks like you used dry white rock, I used the same. It takes a while for it to turn into live and start looks better, mine is 3 months and its starting to get coralline algae spots.

I'd let your tank age before adding any more livestock, coral is ok if you have 0 ammonia and nitrites. Try to resist the urge to add, I know it's hard but having just went through the startup of my first tank going to fast makes things bad and frustrating. A wise man told me "It will look worse before it looks better".

Last edited by DustanT; 05/31/2016 at 06:45 AM.
DustanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 07:17 AM   #16
Babydaull
Registered Member

Dustin T response

Hey Dustin thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that when I add the Trochus snails I will giving the Astraea snails back. I will also be giving the peppermint shrimp back as well. I have heard the peppermint shrimp will eat snails. I have seen the peppermint picking at one Mexican Turbo snail. With that being said, when I go to local fish store to get Trochus and Nassaruis should I get one of each or 2 of each? I have saved an Astraea snail three times now with one being flipped over, which makes the Trochus snails seem more appealing. Thank you for your insight with CUC and cycling. If I add fish when I get back from vacation it will be my 4th completed week of cycling. I still might wait a tad longer.

Unread 05/31/2016, 05:29 PM   #17
ken1977
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustanT View Post
I think you'll have to much CUC unless you feed heavy. Astraea Snails can't flip themselves back over either. 2 Turbo Snails, 2 Trochus Snails and a few hermits should be enough but every tank varies. I'm supersized the 2 shrimp don't fight. If you add Nassaruis Snails I would keep a close eye on them and make sure one doesn't die in the sand, I lost one a few weeks ago (died somewhere) and I'm still seeing the havoc it caused on my parameters. I'm supersized I haven't lost anything with them being so high.

It looks like you used dry white rock, I used the same. It takes a while for it to turn into live and start looks better, mine is 3 months and its starting to get coralline algae spots.

I'd let your tank age before adding any more livestock, coral is ok if you have 0 ammonia and nitrites. Try to resist the urge to add, I know it's hard but having just went through the startup of my first tank going to fast makes things bad and frustrating. A wise man told me "It will look worse before it looks better".
I would get rid of snails and shrimp. Add one more hermit and your good for now. There isn't enough food in there for them to eat yet, they'll starve... Your tank is sweet! I'm hoping my will look as good when I set it up.

ken1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 05:52 PM   #18
joedodge
Registered Member

Looks my really good man!

joedodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 06:21 PM   #19
Babydaull
Registered Member

Ken1977 Response

I did not think about it that way, with there not being enough food. Thanks for the advice. When do you plan on setting up your tank? what are you waiting on?

Unread 05/31/2016, 08:55 PM   #20
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Do not get a tomato clown unless it is the only fish you'll ever keep in the tank. They are remarkably aggressive and will fight and kill your other fishes, particularly in a nano.

Next purchase? If you're going to the lfs to get your water tested, buy either an api saltwater master kit, or some salifert test kits. You only need ammonia, nitrate, calcium, and alkalinity. Then buy a refractometer from eBay or wherever else they're only <$50.

Probably too many snails, particularly with the Mexican turbo snails. They get huge becasue they eat a lot, but your tank won't have a lot for them to eat.

The chromis, I would make sure you have a lid on your tank for them. I love them, and have had them before, but know that they'll pick each other to death slowly (they're not actually schooling fishes, they're hiding fishes, when left with nowhere to hide, they school, as they do in our aquariums, however they get angry and aggressive when kept like that and end up killing each other. They are damsels after all).

Sorry to be a Debbie downer, but just trying to save you from the headaches and heartaches that I've already been through (all except the snail one).

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2016, 01:22 AM   #21
ken1977
Registered Member

Quote:
I did not think about it that way, with there not being enough food. Thanks for the advice. When do you plan on setting up your tank? what are you waiting on?
I'm cycling/mixing salt water tonight, I should have set up by tomorrow. I was going to get some water from my lfs but I decided not too. I'll post some pics.

Unread 06/01/2016, 03:34 PM   #22
Babydaull
Registered Member

reefwreak response

Dang that is a bummer, I like pretty much all of the clown fish but the tomato clown fish stuck out to me as the coolest. Maybe a designer snowflake would be cool. I did not know that about chromis! I will have to change up my fish plan. Do you any advice on fish plan for nano?

Unread 06/01/2016, 03:35 PM   #23
Babydaull
Registered Member

Ken response

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1977 View Post
I'm cycling/mixing salt water tonight, I should have set up by tomorrow. I was going to get some water from my lfs but I decided not too. I'll post some pics.
How did salt mixing go? I brought pre made salt water from LFS. You have it set up yet?

Unread 06/01/2016, 08:02 PM   #24
ken1977
Registered Member

Quote:
Here she is... Nice iPhone light

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.8 KB, 226 views)
Unread 06/01/2016, 08:36 PM   #25
Babydaull
Registered Member

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1977 View Post
Here she is... Nice iPhone light
Looks great! Thats a choice on sand. Are you going to replace the return pump? if that is next to your bed it will be noisy

Tags
20 gallon, innovative marine, nano, nuvo fusion, reef tank