Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2010, 04:41 PM   #251
Goby-Wan Kenobi
Registered Member

Old thread I know. If you want to put a bow in the material use a propane torch heat it up and bend it to fit.

Goby-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2010, 09:22 AM   #252
mako417
Registered Member

Great idea!

mako417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2010, 12:18 AM   #253
DeepSeaHunter
Registered Member

i will be trying my hand in this tomorrow morning, i hope lowes carries most of the material, and i believe i have a casting net that i don't use anymore that i can cut for the meshing.

DeepSeaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2010, 09:55 AM   #254
jlanger
Get busy living...

All plastic mesh screen top

Hi all. I may have stumbled upon an all plastic solution to the screen mesh tops; at least for smaller tanks.

The poster frames that consist of the thin sheet of plex, a cardboard/hardboard backer and the black plastic u-channel for the 'frame' that are sold all over the place may work. I built wooden frames for my daughters posters and was about to throw out the black plastic framing. I remembered reading this thread a couple of days ago, and thought this might work. The u-channel may be a bit too thin to hold a long span in a straight line, but this may be fixed by inserting a more rigid spline into the groove. The screen may need to be held in by a larger spline material anyways, as the groove seems wider than the window screen frame. (I don't have any of the materials here to compare; just thinking ahead.) And airline tubing could work as a larger spline material.

If anyone is still trying to find an all plastic solution, give this a try and let us know. I may do it myself in the near future as I could use a ventilated top that will keep our fish in the tank.

jlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 03:30 PM   #255
ezhoops
Registered Member

where can I find plastic edging for the screening, all I can find is metal

Current Tank Info: Working on 60 cube, sicce 3.0 return pump, 29 gal sump with fuge,Bubble Magnus NAC6 Skimmer, Aquaticlife 4 bulb T-5 VHO, 29gal Rare Clown breeding
ezhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2010, 05:52 PM   #256
cirionrc
Registered Member

Where do you get this screening from?

90 gallon, CPR bak pak skimmer, HOB CPR 3 gal refugium with DSB with 13 w light, Eheim 2217 Filter, Sun Tek 8x54w T5 HO, 80lbs live rock, 1 yellow tang, 1 firefish, 2 yellowtail damsels, 1 ocellaris clownfish, 1 clarkii, 1 condy anemone, 1 BTA, 2 button polyp colony, 1 blue xenia, and big dent in my wallet!
cirionrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2010, 06:23 PM   #257
Almenmarine
Registered Member

Question

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

1/4" Polypropylene. 100% reef safe

He bought a huge order has it left over from the past

Almenmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2010, 06:24 PM   #258
Almenmarine
Registered Member

Ez, i'm sure plastic edging is somewhere in this world, but i couldn't find it anywhere. Homedepot has the Alluminum stuff. From what i've read over various forums and posts is that it is fine in the reef and will last for a very long time, and doesn't rust. You can get it from Home depot. It's really cheap. Each piece is probably 2 dollars for a 5 foot piece or so, Homedepot also sells the plastic corner pieces for 2 bucks a pack, and the spline stuff probably a few bucks also. Everything you need.

Almenmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2010, 07:44 AM   #259
RokleM
Registered Member

Looks like Bulk Reef Supply is carrying it as well now.

Unread 08/23/2010, 10:29 AM   #260
cirionrc
Registered Member

I just bought some netting from home depot. Its bird netting and its very thin. Doesn't affect the light. This stuff is good, and don't see the needs for clear. I don't think will make a difference.

90 gallon, CPR bak pak skimmer, HOB CPR 3 gal refugium with DSB with 13 w light, Eheim 2217 Filter, Sun Tek 8x54w T5 HO, 80lbs live rock, 1 yellow tang, 1 firefish, 2 yellowtail damsels, 1 ocellaris clownfish, 1 clarkii, 1 condy anemone, 1 BTA, 2 button polyp colony, 1 blue xenia, and big dent in my wallet!
cirionrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2010, 01:36 PM   #261
CreatiVe2
Registered Member

I have the mesh from the guy posting that ebay auction above his email address is grim1214@bellsouth.net - he has it on the auction.
His prices are very reasonable, and he will paypal invoice you.

I am looking now for proven solutions for smaller bow front tanks, i have a 46 gallon (listed below) and i saw back on page 8 the straight frame, i would do that and possibly cut plexiglass to the bow and silicon it to the mesh frame - has anyone been able to replicate this procedure, OR bend the aluminum to contour the bow? I haven't been able to find pics anywhere.

thanks!

Unread 11/05/2010, 10:06 PM   #262
cichlidtx
Registered Member

I bought mine from Grim as well and agree on the good price and good to work with. He gave me some tips on designs and might have some insight for bow front tanks.

cichlidtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2010, 08:34 AM   #263
CreatiVe2
Registered Member

I figured i would just add to this thread as opposed to creating a new one.
this project was a 6/10 in my book - only due to the bending of the screen frame. took me 2 tries.

Grim did give a great walk through, and suggested to use the clamps, and not bend directly in the middle.

I got my old glass top and used about 7 clamps to position the frame and bend it accordingly, it took about 20 min just for the bend.
the screen frame on a rectangle tank would take 30 min total. its a no brainer if you have fish that jump.

another side note - for the 90 degree elbows that you need for the corners of the frame.
For these bow front setups dave grim recommends cutting them in the center, and spreading it wider.
I had better results heating the elbow at the corner and bending it to 110 degrees (aprox).
I did have to trim the plastic off with scissors, in order to fit in the tank rim.

if you have any questions please PM me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20101106_094557sm.jpg (79.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20101106_094716sm.jpg (97.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20101106_094728sm.jpg (85.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20101106_094736sm.jpg (86.0 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by CreatiVe2; 11/06/2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added pics
CreatiVe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2010, 10:29 AM   #264
jimsflies
Registered Member

I built a frame for my 29 gallon biocube which also has a curved/bow front. Here is a link to more pics/instructions.

Current Tank Info: 45 gallon rimless cube - Vortech MP10ES Neptune Apex Controller - Kessil 360w - Tunze Osmolator
jimsflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2010, 11:50 AM   #265
CreatiVe2
Registered Member

Nice!! that jig idea is great! the 46gallon Bowfronts curve is more extreme than that - it was a pita to bend.

Unread 12/19/2010, 11:59 AM   #266
Swanwillow
goby girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McG View Post
I am planning on a screen over my 34 gallon rimless Solana. What I was going use is a 2'x2' square piece of mono philament netting.

I would machine a 1/4" slot into a 3/8" diameter acrylic rod lengthwise, and somehow affix the netting to the rod. Then just slip the top of the tank into the slot all the way around. The key is having the netting just below the waterline to hide the netting all together.
Did you ever figure out how to do this?

My idea was to affix little pegs to the corners of the tank, so that I can just slip the netting on and off as needed.

Current Tank Info: starting over! 125 gallon. Soon to be home to Blackfoot clowns, A. nigripes
Swanwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2010, 09:36 PM   #267
fishdoc11
catch and release

Anyone have any ideas for getting chords out through the top without compromising the tight fit?

thanks, Chris

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon mixed reef
fishdoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2010, 01:47 PM   #268
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

depends on the tank lip but on a few of my tanks I used a dremal or large drill bit to remove some of the plastic screen frame corner which allows room for a cord.

Snarkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2013, 03:14 AM   #269
input80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrx View Post
Great thread. removing my glass top over my 24gallon nano and planning on using Jim's mesh.

thanks Jim!
Would like to replace my glass lids on my 72 gal bowfront also. Tagging along.

input80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2013, 11:30 AM   #270
jimsflies
Registered Member

I've got a couple more threads, one comparing PAR readings and another "how to".

Current Tank Info: 45 gallon rimless cube - Vortech MP10ES Neptune Apex Controller - Kessil 360w - Tunze Osmolator
Unread 01/01/2013, 12:52 PM   #271
input80
Registered Member

TY jim

TYVM jim & Happy New Year

input80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2013, 11:33 PM   #272
mrhasan
Registered Member

I am also thinking of building one but my concern is whether or not the mesh will accumulate salt creeps. The water level in my tank is almost till the rim and hence putting the screen will cause water to touch it.

Alongside, should I be concerned about the mesh being "reef safe" or is all the bird netting or clear mesh are reef safe?

mrhasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2013, 02:32 PM   #273
jimsflies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
I am also thinking of building one but my concern is whether or not the mesh will accumulate salt creeps. The water level in my tank is almost till the rim and hence putting the screen will cause water to touch it.

Alongside, should I be concerned about the mesh being "reef safe" or is all the bird netting or clear mesh are reef safe?
It might accumulate salt creep, especially if you already notice a lot of salt creep on the sides of your tank. The tops can easily be rinsed off with a hose and placed back into service.

A mesh top won't have any more build up than any other top you would put on the tank. I would rather know my fish are safe and sound in the aquarium where they should be rather than have to worry about whether they are on the floor. So what are really your options if you don't want to see your fish on the carpet? Glass, eggcrate, force field (pending), or mesh?

I have used the mesh for several other water contact tasks with no problems. Plastics are fairly inert in at normal temperatures in water (including saltwater). Its as safe as pvc, plumbing, acrylic, and other plastic parts commonly used around aquariums.

The aluminum frames are also corrosion resistant and hold up well as long as you use the ones that are painted (the paint is heat treated and does not peel off).

Unread 03/14/2013, 02:40 PM   #274
dirkomatic
Registered Member

I just made some of these and was surprised how good the brown frame looks. I thought it would be glaringly apparent with the brown against the black frame, but no one can notice unless I point it out...

dirkomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2013, 08:20 PM   #275
mrhasan
Registered Member

I don't notice a lot of salt creeps around my tank but there are some small lumps around the HOB filter and some splashes on the screen. My water level is high (I like keeping it high). As long as the creeps are not very dense and fall into the tank, it should be good

Does home depot carry plastic frame kits? I would prefer to use that actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
It might accumulate salt creep, especially if you already notice a lot of salt creep on the sides of your tank. The tops can easily be rinsed off with a hose and placed back into service.

A mesh top won't have any more build up than any other top you would put on the tank. I would rather know my fish are safe and sound in the aquarium where they should be rather than have to worry about whether they are on the floor. So what are really your options if you don't want to see your fish on the carpet? Glass, eggcrate, force field (pending), or mesh?

I have used the mesh for several other water contact tasks with no problems. Plastics are fairly inert in at normal temperatures in water (including saltwater). Its as safe as pvc, plumbing, acrylic, and other plastic parts commonly used around aquariums.

The aluminum frames are also corrosion resistant and hold up well as long as you use the ones that are painted (the paint is heat treated and does not peel off).

mrhasan is offline   Reply With Quote