Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/20/2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Nathans_Dad
Registered Member

Help! Outer orbit 24" fixture too wide!!

Hello all,

I got a good deal on a used 24" Outer Orbit fixture with one MH, 4 T5s and 6 LEDs. Thinking it would be perfect for my 29 gallon bowfront tank I snapped it up.

Got it home and the fixture is too wide to sit on the tank with the included legs. The fixture is 15" wide and my bowfront is 15" wide at the peak of the bow and 12.5" at the edges of the tank.

So, I have a few things I thought of to solve the issue:

1). Just put some strips of 1 x 2 over the top of the tank that are 15" long and set the fixture on that using the supplied legs. I wonder though if this would cause nasty shadows??

2). Remove the supplied legs and sand them flat. I could then epoxy them to the fixture inside of where the T5s go and that would allow it to set onto the tank correctly. I think this would look the most "factory" but would also remove the ability to adjust the legs in the future, should I ever decide to sell the fixture.

3). Buy some acrylic blocks and just set those on top of the aquarium glass and then set the fixture on that. Worried a little about stability of the fixture.

I already asked my wife about hanging it from the ceiling and she said no go.

Any ideas here?

Nathans_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2011, 01:41 PM   #2
gonpostal
Registered Member

You could buy a kit like this, or fabricate your own if you're into DIY.

Unread 06/20/2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Nathans_Dad
Registered Member

Thought of another option, a variation of #2 in my original post.

If you're going to sand the legs flat and then glue them to the fixture, may as well put a spacer down first, plastic, wood, whatever, and resolve the issue of the legs being so stubby and making access to the tank a little difficult.

Also saw where someone built a shelf over the tank and hung from there. That's a decent possibility too. We have oak paneling in the room where the tank goes though, not sure my wife is going to like drilling holes in that stuff either...

Nathans_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2011, 02:49 PM   #4
captnslapy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
You could buy a kit like this, or fabricate your own if you're into DIY.
I agree this would be your best option.

captnslapy is offline   Reply With Quote