Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2015, 10:11 AM   #2351
blakeorme
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm very familiar with toggle bolts, but the issue isn't about the weight the toggles can support. It's about the sheet rock failing. It's just nailed to studs, and those nails could pull out, you could have a leak and the sheet rock disintegrate/sag, ...etc If it was a small fixture maybe, but those fixtures are heavy. Also, you will be moving them up/down for maintenance and that's going to put stress on them. With a quick google search, you won't find a contractor that will recommend anything hanging on unsupported drywall.

Just my 2 cents.. I'd recommend just running the idea by a contractor. I'm sure there are a ton on this site. It's just an expensive light, and Murphy (Murphy's Law) has way of always being present in this hobby.

blakeorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 11:00 AM   #2352
horseplay
Registered Member

+1 ^^

horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 08:26 PM   #2353
sbeason
Registered Member

You could also locate the floor joists from the floor above (what your ceiling drywall is fastened too) and use j screws that you can screw into the wood joist.

sbeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 01:45 PM   #2354
discos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Thats a pretty good combo and you are using all the blue and lots of white in the LED's. Just keep that combo and LED settings, keep things stable and your corals should colour up pretty nicely.
Τy Sabin., indeed is a good light result. In order to go there i end up with 4 different extra bulbs, but I will use them next year, so all good. I try also the coral+ instead of ABS, great result also, but I liked more the bit more "white" of abs.

I really hope the result in time to be good. The amazing aquariums i see here, is great inspiration to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan View Post
So it looks like the lamp is bad and it's definitely a hardware issue. When 4 T5s are on they are dim and they only brighten up fully when all 8 turn on. Sent ATI NA video of this and they have forwarded it to Germany last week. I'm told we have to wait on ATI to decide on what to do after they see the video. How long should that take? I hope that they will get this lamp replaced ASAP.
I have exactly the same problem. I am on email communication with the company for this. It's really very odd how the fixture response when you try to light up the T5 banks separately. It does that even on demo mode when is synced with the computer.

Mine is the new model and is with the 3 led clusters and 8 54w T5. Hope to be fixed soon.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon sps Reef tank (51x31x24), 50 gallon sump, ATI Hybrid 3xLed & 8xT5, Deltec TS2060 overflow feed, Calcium reactor, Jebao return and 3xRW15 for circulation
discos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 07:49 PM   #2355
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discos View Post
I have exactly the same problem. I am on email communication with the company for this. It's really very odd how the fixture response when you try to light up the T5 banks separately. It does that even on demo mode when is synced with the computer.

Mine is the new model and is with the 3 led clusters and 8 54w T5. Hope to be fixed soon.
I have the same lamp. Finally heard back from ATI NA today, 2 weeks later. They offered to replace the control box since ATI Corp says that is the source of the problem. They wanted me to send mine in and they would ship a new one back. Strange! How am I supposed to keep my tank going with no light. Or they said I could pay for the new one and they would refund me once they got mine back. Luckily my LFS has stepped in and will take care of getting the new box so I don't have to pay for it. I still fear the lamp is bad and may need to be changed. We will see. I am very disappointed with ATI's customer support thus far. They respond to emails quickly but are very slow to fix a problem. I fear I have made a bad decision to switch from my PacSun which had great support to ATI which is definitely better built but with subpar support.

Unread 03/04/2015, 07:58 PM   #2356
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

I just bought a 8 bulb dimmable sunpower to replace my 4 bulb PM LED. Going to miss the LEDs I think, but I need more punch to hit the bottom. It'll be here next week some time. Anyone else go back to sunpowers? Regrets?

60g cube - Ghost Overflow - ATI 8 bulb dimmable sunpower - Apex - MP10s - Synergy sump
flamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 09:39 PM   #2357
msderganc
Registered Member

Inspired by Sahin, I've been thinking about this combination. I'm going for a Radium 20K look:

ATI Blue+
ATI Actinic
ATI Blue+
ATI Coral+
***LED***
ATI AquablueSpecial
ATI Blue+
ATI Coral+
ATI Actinic

What do you guys think? I am really struggling with the order of bulbs due to the two banks.

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
msderganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 12:38 PM   #2358
CoopsReef
Registered Member

I just wanted to shine some light on this thread. I started my new custom 220 gal built by coast to coast aquariums and put the 8 bulb powermodule hybrid over the tank all just 44 days ago today. I had the light over my previous 90 gal for about 8 months waiting on this tank to be built. I love the powermodule hybrid.

image-3737814670.jpg

CoopsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 02:17 PM   #2359
Olivier_Fr
Registered Member

I put my 7 Maxspect ramps in the trash ... they burned all my corals and came back on good old ATI T5 ! my new corals are all more beautiful.

Olivier_Fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 02:38 PM   #2360
JOEYRM7
Registered Member

How long did it take for them to color back up?

JOEYRM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 09:01 PM   #2361
msderganc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msderganc View Post
Inspired by Sahin, I've been thinking about this combination. I'm going for a Radium 20K look:

ATI Blue+
ATI Actinic
ATI Blue+
ATI Coral+
***LED***
ATI AquablueSpecial
ATI Blue+
ATI Coral+
ATI Actinic

What do you guys think? I am really struggling with the order of bulbs due to the two banks.
So, I did the same bulb combination in a different order:

ATI Blue+
ATI Actinic
ATI Coral+
ATI AquablueSpecial
***LED***
ATI Blue+
ATI Coral+
ATI Actinic
ATI Blue+

I think it may be a little whiter than I thought, more like a 16k, even with the LEDs completely blue.

I'm going to hold it like this for a couple of days and see if I like it. I think I may replace the back Coral+ with a Blue+ if it ends up being too white.

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
Unread 03/06/2015, 12:55 PM   #2362
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Posting from my thread: Just to show you progress of one particular coral under my lights:

3 small brown branches:

Here is again about 6 week after in Jan 2015. Notice the nice growth and start of the pink colour returning after being at the top of the tank:

Another month or so later and its looking better. I posted this in the last batch of photos: More growth and looking healthy:

What it looks like now, makes me real happy:

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 01:17 PM   #2363
JOEYRM7
Registered Member

Sahin

You have inspired me. After having numerous corals brown out under my Hydras (I believe I had them set too low to begin with) I finally made the plunge to the ATI LED powermodule. After 3 weeks I have begun to see some changing color and growth and was actually considering changing out all of my not so colorful corals. After seeing your example, I think I will wait it out and see if they return to their former glory. Thanks

JOEYRM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 02:51 PM   #2364
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEYRM7 View Post
Sahin

You have inspired me. After having numerous corals brown out under my Hydras (I believe I had them set too low to begin with) I finally made the plunge to the ATI LED powermodule. After 3 weeks I have begun to see some changing color and growth and was actually considering changing out all of my not so colorful corals. After seeing your example, I think I will wait it out and see if they return to their former glory. Thanks
Dont exchange the no so colourful corals just yet!

I picked up this brown milli with slight blue tips. Now looks amazing and has at least 4-5 colours! This photo is at nearly a month old I think and it has improved a bit more in the last couple of week.

Sometimes corals need months to even a year and then you realise you had a gem of a coral all along.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 05:26 PM   #2365
wheelman76
Registered Member

Looking great Sahin!! Love that blue tip Milli

Unread 03/06/2015, 06:43 PM   #2366
74Killer
Registered Member

Hey Sahin, what is you led setting and photoperiod?

Thanks!

74Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2015, 10:18 AM   #2367
Wassberg
Registered Member

Nice progress Sahin, and thank you for your contribution to this thread!

Wassberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2015, 10:24 AM   #2368
saline solution
Registered Member

I have been having bleaching of new corals, some old ones look great, so I don't think it is water quality. I think they are having trouble adjusting too the power of the light. Here is my schedule, Bulbs are B+,coral +,B+, actinic, led, PPlus, Cor+, B+,Cor+. New frags are placed on sand bed 18" deep, light is 10" above water. I just stepped down to this from 45% power T5, 30%LED. Any thoughts anyone

photo lighting_zpsrx7jh6if.jpg

Shaun

Current Tank Info: just a glass box, and a flashlight
saline solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2015, 01:21 PM   #2369
Sangheili
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline solution View Post
I have been having bleaching of new corals, some old ones look great, so I don't think it is water quality. I think they are having trouble adjusting too the power of the light. Here is my schedule, Bulbs are B+,coral +,B+, actinic, led, PPlus, Cor+, B+,Cor+. New frags are placed on sand bed 18" deep, light is 10" above water. I just stepped down to this from 45% power T5, 30%LED. Any thoughts anyone

photo lighting_zpsrx7jh6if.jpg
Not sure if PAR numbers help you but for reference, on my 3 LED module, 4 bulb unit, having the T5's at 100% (Actinic, Blue+, Blue+, Cor+) and LED's at 30% I am seeing 250PAR at the sand bed (20" tank, 8" above water). Turning off the 30% LEDs drops the PAR by about 50. I know the LED's pump out a ton of PAR but I dont think their intensity scales correctly with the 0-100% scale in the dimming controller. I havn't tested yet but I wouldn't be surprised if 40% is twice the PAR of 30%.

I myself am slowly raising the intensity. I saw some light bleaching of SPS but they are just fine now.

Sangheili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2015, 06:19 PM   #2370
saline solution
Registered Member

That is helpful, thanks. I am going to see I I can track down a Par meter. Only way to know for sure.

Shaun

Current Tank Info: just a glass box, and a flashlight
saline solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2015, 07:58 PM   #2371
horseplay
Registered Member

This may be surprising to some but the sandbed is not where the par is the smallest. With my 4 bulb unit the par is higher on the bottom than in the back half way in the middle. That's where I acclimate my corals. Also par drops off quickly on the side. In the bottom between two clusters the par can be quite high.

horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 06:35 AM   #2372
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Hello,
I am experiencing some tissue loss on two of my corals. I read a comment on shadowing from LEDs and I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or anything similar from the LED PM. I have the 2x75w, 4x39w ATI fixture. It has been over my tank since August.

Thanks.

Unread 03/08/2015, 06:50 AM   #2373
msderganc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cox View Post
Hello,
I am experiencing some tissue loss on two of my corals. I read a comment on shadowing from LEDs and I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or anything similar from the LED PM. I have the 2x75w, 4x39w ATI fixture. It has been over my tank since August.
To me, that doesn't look like shadowing. Shadowing is generally for larger colonies with dense branching.

I had a similar issue once, and it ended up being due to a powerhead literally blowing the tissue off one of my SPS. Otherwise, it could be any number of reasons - pests, water parameters, anything that would cause STN.

Unread 03/08/2015, 04:37 PM   #2374
irwin_fletch
Registered Member

Hello. First week with my ATI hybrid 4'39W T5 and 2*75W LED. I love the light and when my corals av ready fore some more power on the LED i think im gonna love it some more.[IMG][/IMG]

irwin_fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 06:55 PM   #2375
msderganc
Registered Member

So - my lamp randomly froze, and unplugging the control box doesn't help - the light comes back on with basically all of the T5s at 100% and the LEDs off. The buttons are unresponsive.

Anyone know how to correct this?