Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2013, 04:45 PM   #76
buffalo123
Registered Member

I have lots also had them for many years, they came in on live rock. Difficult to see on liverock thats been in he dark for a few months but they survive somehow. On the odd day you are working on your reef for long periods of time you have to be careful. Wear gloves.
How easythe toxin is released i don't know. I do know if they are stressed by handling they seem to empty there stomachs and you get a stringy substance coming from them.

buffalo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2013, 12:35 PM   #77
geckoejon
Registered Member

wow, this article was a serious eye opener for me. i will never boil live rock and always wear gloves while handling them and coral. thanks for sharing!

Current Tank Info: 220g mixed reef & a red sea reefer bad fish tank :0)
geckoejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2013, 05:25 PM   #78
reret10
Registered Member

A painful reminder of how rediculously dangerous some everyday things in reefing can be.

Unread 10/06/2013, 07:56 PM   #79
Itsadeepbluesea
Registered Member

Wow very scary, hopefully many can learn from your storey

Itsadeepbluesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2013, 08:13 PM   #80
jp634
Registered Member

hey what happened to supperrmario can happen to anyone of us. I was cleaning an old rock in my garage that had dried out and I did the same thing to my family and dogs. those brown and green pales are some of the most toxic pales in the ocean and are really bad when the dry out do not scrap them when they are wet or dry.

glad to hear you are ok I know I lost at least 10% percent of my lung cap to those palyes.

jp634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2013, 12:06 AM   #81
Lacy
Ex FMAS bod member

Wow that's really scary. Glad everyone is ok.

Lacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2013, 09:59 AM   #82
reelfishy
reelin and dealin

Good tip for novices and experts. Before cooking live rocks, it is a good idea to let it sun dry for a few days.

Unread 10/07/2013, 03:35 PM   #83
milehigh
Registered Member

So what exactly do you do when you get these? just leave them?
Or is the consensus to remove with lots of protection?
Anyone use the green lasers on them?

Unread 10/07/2013, 04:17 PM   #84
Tang Salad
Algae skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelfishy View Post
Before cooking live rocks, it is a good idea to let it sun dry for a few days.
No! That's not what cooking means.

'Cooking' live rocks wins first prize for the stupidest term in a hobby full of stupid terms. 'Cooking' live rock has nothing to do with cooking, or boiling, or microwaving or any form of heat whatsoever. It has nothing to do with heating rocks and should never have been called 'cooking' in the first place! It was a term someone came up with because they thought it sounded neat, I guess, and describes a process of keeping live rock in the dark, in regular room/aquarium temperature water, for a very long period of time while performing periodic water changes. It has nothing to do with heat, or cooking. And it shouldn't, for obvious reasons.

Current Tank Info: TBD ADA 120-P SPS NLPS
Tang Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2013, 04:38 PM   #85
reelfishy
reelin and dealin

Quote:
Good tip for novices and experts. Before cooking live rocks, it is a good idea to let it sun dry for a few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang Salad View Post
No! That's not what cooking means.

'Cooking' live rocks wins first prize for the stupidest term in a hobby full of stupid terms. 'Cooking' live rock has nothing to do with cooking, or boiling, or microwaving or any form of heat whatsoever. It has nothing to do with heating rocks and should never have been called 'cooking' in the first place! It was a term someone came up with because they thought it sounded neat, I guess, and describes a process of keeping live rock in the dark, in regular room/aquarium temperature water, for a very long period of time while performing periodic water changes. It has nothing to do with heat, or cooking. And it shouldn't, for obvious reasons.
Hmm.. I never explained how to cook rocks nor did I describe what "cooking" meant. Cooking can mean a lot of things like Muratic Acid cooking, Lanthanum Chloride cooking, what you've just mentioned above and people actually cooking it with heat as well. What I've said was, you should let it sun dry so any unwanted organisms will NOT survive. I use almost the same method as you but turn the heater up so the water temp is at about 88~90 degrees after sun drying it.

Unread 10/08/2013, 08:32 AM   #86
Tang Salad
Algae skeptic

Quote:
Hmm.. I never explained how to cook rocks nor did I describe what "cooking" meant. Cooking can mean a lot of things like Muratic Acid cooking, Lanthanum Chloride cooking, what you've just mentioned above and people actually cooking it with heat as well. What I've said was, you should let it sun dry so any unwanted organisms will NOT survive. I use almost the same method as you but turn the heater up so the water temp is at about 88~90 degrees after sun drying it.
Ok, sorry if I jumped the gun there. For all the misconceptions in this hobby, this is one which can have very serious consequences not just for the aquarium, but for the aquarist. Bad hair algae is one thing... a dead spouse is another. So I guess it's just frustrating to see the term applied so casually to so many different things. This is not good for people new to the hobby.

For what it's worth, drying rock in the sun may kill the polyps, but it doesn't by any means guarantee that the toxin within the polyps is neutralized. I know you didn't say anything to the contrary... I'm just pointing that out for others who might read this.

Current Tank Info: TBD ADA 120-P SPS NLPS
Tang Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2013, 08:41 AM   #87
Triggerfish
Registered Member

good to hear everything is ok now. i have heard of boiling rocks prior to putting them in the tank but not after taking them out to basically become dry rock. what was the purpose of that?

just read further and saw your response.. get it now.

Triggerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2013, 10:36 AM   #88
dax123
Registered Member

Knowing is one thing, but it is also a good idea to let other people know in case they find you on the floor after you've been playing with your tank one day.

dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2013, 11:52 AM   #89
austings
Registered Member

Wow, that is scary. Glad you, and your family are ok now!

austings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2014, 06:25 PM   #90
superrmario
Registered Member

Bump it up for novices...

superrmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2014, 07:10 PM   #91
Reefahholic
Moved On

Have always feared zoo's for this very reason. Heard many other stories like urs and worse.
Hope all is well now.

Reefahholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2014, 07:11 PM   #92
superrmario
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefahholic View Post
Have always feared zoo's for this very reason. Heard many other stories like urs and worse.
Hope all is well now.
Thx.. One year post issue and we are doing well.

superrmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2014, 07:59 PM   #93
syrinx
Registered Member

Why is this not a sticky? It should be

Unread 01/27/2014, 09:34 PM   #94
Coral Dilema
Registered Member

+1 sticky

Current Tank Info: 20 inch cube running, Looking for a good place to get a 36 X 20-24 X 18-24 tank.
Coral Dilema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 11:39 AM   #95
fishlife4life
Registered Member

boiling live rock.

This is indeed a learning experience for me..and here's my story... yesterday I decided to boil my rock to kill pieces of aptasia that was becoming a problem in my tank. I started putting a piece at a time in a pot and began boiling them. My cousin came by to say hi and we began talking and I forget the rock is at a full boil for 30 mins.our conversation starts to come to a close and I notice she starts coughing as if something is irritating her, she leaves the house and I cut of the stove and I realized the kitchen is full of fumes and I open the windows and front door to get it out of the house. I leave the house to do some errands and on my way back I start feeling as if I'm getting a cold. Chest pain, chills, headache. I go to sleep waking up from time to time and realizing that I'm sweating and am soaking wet. I wake up in the morning feeling as if someone hit with a bat ! About an hour or to I start feeling much better and started drinking a lot of water to flush my system. I'm very lucky to be alive. NEVER BOIL LIVE ROCK !!!!

fishlife4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 08:07 PM   #96
neildradford
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlife4life View Post
This is indeed a learning experience for me..and here's my story... yesterday I decided to boil my rock to kill pieces of aptasia that was becoming a problem in my tank. I started putting a piece at a time in a pot and began boiling them. My cousin came by to say hi and we began talking and I forget the rock is at a full boil for 30 mins.our conversation starts to come to a close and I notice she starts coughing as if something is irritating her, she leaves the house and I cut of the stove and I realized the kitchen is full of fumes and I open the windows and front door to get it out of the house. I leave the house to do some errands and on my way back I start feeling as if I'm getting a cold. Chest pain, chills, headache. I go to sleep waking up from time to time and realizing that I'm sweating and am soaking wet. I wake up in the morning feeling as if someone hit with a bat ! About an hour or to I start feeling much better and started drinking a lot of water to flush my system. I'm very lucky to be alive. NEVER BOIL LIVE ROCK !!!!

I presume you have checked with your cousin that she is ok?

neildradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2014, 09:30 AM   #97
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Palytoxin is no joke.

We don't need long drawn out stories, just a warning... in a sticky

DO NOT BOIL ROCK. It is a really dumb thing to do. (If I had a $100 for each time I heard someone was going to boil rocks this hobby would be free).

I was hit by using hot water out of the tap to clean an overflow part. Yay for the ER!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 02:02 PM   #98
jrpark22000
Registered Member

Well, reviving an old thread, but a good one. I did the same thing last night. The difference, instead of boiling the rocks, I soaked them in vinegar, cooking the Z&P with acid.

I'm living the same story in the OPs first post now without the trip to the ER. It's about 18hrs after exposure and the FLU like symptoms are gone, but the chest pain is still here as well as the labored breathing.

TAKE HEAD! Vinegar cooking can cause the same airborne toxin as boiling.

jrpark22000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 02:23 PM   #99
hkgar
Registered Member

This is a sticky in the New Reefers section.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2515630

It happened to my scrubbing algae off my rocks, and some Zoa's. I will NEVER have Zoas in my tank.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 06:38 PM   #100
reefcentral123
Moved On

Quote:
how are you so sure the toxin gets degraded by the sun after a few days? what if the corals tissue dries up and the toxin is still in there? not that simple as u would think i think

reefcentral123 is offline   Reply With Quote