Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers > Soft Coral Identification
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2017, 07:14 AM   #1
stuhope123
Registered Member

Easy id - New to hobby

Hello all,

I am new to the hobby and recently purchased some Corals from my LFS, it wa a bit of a rushed buy and didnt get chance to do any research, the chap that sold them just got them sold and i got pulled in and baught them, now that they are in my tank i need some extremely basic help and identification so i can do my research on placement etc

Can someone give me the exact names for these please

Thanks very much and sorry for being completely thick with this

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3622.jpg (67.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3623.jpg (59.5 KB, 18 views)
stuhope123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 07:55 AM   #2
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Few are going to be able to give you exact scientific names based on those pics but I can tell you the first one looks like a basic leather coral and the other one is button polyps.

Neither requires really high lighting levels and both a quite hardy.

What kind of lighting do you have?

ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 08:05 AM   #3
stuhope123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComforablyNumb View Post
Few are going to be able to give you exact scientific names based on those pics but I can tell you the first one looks like a basic leather coral and the other one is button polyps.

Neither requires really high lighting levels and both a quite hardy.

What kind of lighting do you have?
I have 4 x T5 bulbs and 4 mini blue led's, 2 x White 1 x ed and 1 x blue t5's

Where would be the best position for them and how should the leather coral look when its doing well?

Unread 07/30/2017, 08:51 AM   #4
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Start them at the bottom of the tank and move them up if it appears they need more light.

Leather corals are weird animals..they will often close up and glaze over for a week at a time every few months, and then just open up for no reason at all. The best way to determine its health is polyp extension and growth. Some leathers have many polyps to extend, some have fewer.

As I said, both of the corals you have dont need that much light and both are quite tough.

Unread 07/30/2017, 08:54 AM   #5
stuhope123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComforablyNumb View Post
Start them at the bottom of the tank and move them up if it appears they need more light.

Leather corals are weird animals..they will often close up and glaze over for a week at a time every few months, and then just open up for no reason at all. The best way to determine its health is polyp extension and growth. Some leathers have many polyps to extend, some have fewer.

As I said, both of the corals you have dont need that much light and both are quite tough.
Thanks for your help, Would you be able to point me in the right direction of what this coral should look like when open as i literally have no idea on it

been reading up since you said however there seem to be lots of different leather corals

Unread 07/31/2017, 06:13 AM   #6
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

There are many varieties, here's a pic of the green leather coral in my tank. Its toward the right, half way down.

For many pics of leathers:

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...k1.4-rBvzQqWZA

Unread 07/31/2017, 06:46 AM   #7
neacewood
Registered Member

I would be careful in the placement of the green palys. Those grow like weeds in my tank 5+heads a week. They spread really fast and grow overtop of other corals. Not a bad thing to have just know you might have to do monthly trimming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neacewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2017, 09:52 AM   #8
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhope123 View Post
Hello all,

I am new to the hobby and recently purchased some Corals from my LFS, it wa a bit of a rushed buy and didnt get chance to do any research, the chap that sold them just got them sold and i got pulled in and baught them, now that they are in my tank i need some extremely basic help and identification so i can do my research on placement etc

Can someone give me the exact names for these please

Thanks very much and sorry for being completely thick with this
The first picture looks like a Lobophytum. (Devil's Hand) These corals tend to prefer quite a bit of light and a lot of chaotic flow IME. Having a secure base is also important, so find a good spot and either use some epoxy or superglue gel to hold it in place. Once it's secure try not to fiddle with it too much either. They don't like that.
The second one might be Palythoas. These will usually tolerate a wide range of conditions, but low to moderate lighting and flow usually keeps them happy. The link below might help.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/2/inverts

Last edited by AlSimmons; 08/01/2017 at 07:47 PM.
AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2017, 12:33 PM   #9
Bma1972
Registered Member

Devils Hand. I have right under my AI HDs. and palys in indirect. Both get a moderate alternating flow. The DH was probably only a 3 inch frag 5 years ago. Now it's s good 12 inches all the way a round. Picture is from at least 2 years ago and a tank is been moved from. Awesome growers.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Bma1972 is offline   Reply With Quote