Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2007, 08:13 AM   #1
professorbadnew
Registered Member

want to go salt

hello everyone. i have been keeping africans for four years now. currently i have to 90 gal tanks that each have a tropheus colony. i am inheriting a 30 gal tank that has the filter in the hood. BTW> what are those tanks called anyway?? i want to turn this into a starter salt tank. i have been told that with salt and some live rock, this set up is sufficient to begin with shrimp, snails, crabs, and few fish. i would love to hear suggestions to get started. also, is there a good site or thread that discusses fish profiles?? i probably have a million questions but i dont know where to begin.

professor

professorbadnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Shagsbeard
Registered Member

They're called a variety of things... BioCubes is a popular brand and is used as a generic term as well. A cube is a good way to go, but you are pretty limited as to what you can do to upgrade them. It's not a bad choice for someone starting, but you can get much more bang for your buck other ways.

Start by spending a good week reading the threads here, and in the stickies. That should give you a pretty clear idea as to how to start. Don't go out and buy stuff yet. Read.

Shagsbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2007, 08:53 AM   #3
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Professor

To Reef Central

Try reading The New Tank Thread. As you will see keeping a Marine tank is quite a bit more involved than keeping FW fish.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote