Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2014, 06:53 PM   #1
xkon
Registered Member

Tank cycled and CUC added, now what

So my 60gallon tank has cycled. I used lived sand, 5lbs of live rock and about 50 lbs of dry rock with raw shrimp for the cycle. Now that ammonia and nitrite readings are 0, I added 6 nassarius snails, 6 cerith snails, and 4 hermits.

Do I need to feed these guys anything as there isnt really any left over food from fish (because there are none yet)? Or should I add one fish or so from my stocking list to make sure there wont be a re-cycle of the tank?

xkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2014, 06:59 PM   #2
ReefPony
Registered Member

The common technique seems to be, once your nitrites have gone back to zero, add some pure ammonia sufficient to raise the level to 2 ppm and see if your tank can process that in 24 hours (everything except nitrates goes back to zero).

Since you already have your cleaner crew in there, I'd probably skip that - they can probably survive it but why risk it?

I'd just go ahead and pick the hardiest fish on your stocking list and add it within the next couple days.

Unread 09/20/2014, 07:08 PM   #3
pyithar
Registered Member

if there's no algae or food for them, they'll starve and die. if you're sure the cycle is finished, you could try and add one fish. just don't add many all at once. feed a few pellets a day to the snails and hermits in the mean time. hermits can kill snails for the shell. you should make sure the fish you're adding is free of diseases and parasites. quarantine it if you can.

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2014, 07:11 PM   #4
xkon
Registered Member

Cool, Ill be look over my stocking list and try to figure out which to add first. What kind of pellets would be good for snails/hermits?

Unread 09/20/2014, 07:32 PM   #5
MinnFish
Registered Member

Have you tested for nitrates? Have you done a water change?

Unread 09/20/2014, 07:57 PM   #6
acabgd
Registered Member

I would just feed a few flakes, should be enough. With lights running you will soon have enough algae for your CUC.

acabgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2014, 10:27 PM   #7
xkon
Registered Member

Yes I have nitrates in the tank. I have not done a water change yet, as nitrates are not out of control, only added water due to evaporation.

I just started running the lights the other day so maybe that will fuel a little algae like you said ababgd to feed them. It seems like there is some kind of crystallized slime or something of the sort growing on the heater and powerheads? Is that some form of algae?

Unread 09/21/2014, 07:22 AM   #8
thegrun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkon View Post
Yes I have nitrates in the tank. I have not done a water change yet, as nitrates are not out of control, only added water due to evaporation.

I just started running the lights the other day so maybe that will fuel a little algae like you said ababgd to feed them. It seems like there is some kind of crystallized slime or something of the sort growing on the heater and powerheads? Is that some form of algae?
It sounds like cyanobacteria, fairly common in new tanks.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2014, 09:16 AM   #9
xkon
Registered Member

anything to take care of or it will sort itself out on its own?

Unread 09/21/2014, 10:08 AM   #10
Shawn O
Registered Member

Will sort itself out, usually. Feed the CUC for a couple weeks and then start adding fish slowly, as pyithar stated. As far as adding a fish, rather than the hardiest fish on your stocking list, maybe it would be best to add the most peaceful fish first to avoid having a bully harass or kill any other fish you add later. Work from the most peaceful fish to the most aggressive to allow each fish to acclimate and stake out it's territory. If the most peaceful fish needs a mature tank, wait until the tank has matured or add the things it requires ahead of time, if possible, like a good sized copepod population or additional algae.

Shawn O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2014, 11:42 AM   #11
fishhuman
Registered Member

What's your stocking list

fishhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2014, 12:06 PM   #12
Sk8r
RC Mod

Don't add a fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quarantine a fish. 4 weeks of the cuc working and growing and pooing into the sandbed will prepare it for the fish, 4 weeks later.
Yes, some people survive rushing it. But I have to do many, many posts trying to mop up the mess that results from haste in this hobby. If you want a stable, trouble-free tank, stay the course and finish the preparation.
Yes, a few small flakes of food a day will support your cuc, and life on your rocks will increase.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Remmers
Registered Member

I'm getting ready to do just what the OP did with the raw shrimp, my question is what cuc? I'm assuming its a clean up crew but I could be wrong.

Remmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2014, 08:32 AM   #14
shesacharmer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Quarantine a fish. 4 weeks of the cuc working and growing and pooing into the sandbed will prepare it for the fish, 4 weeks later.
Yes, some people survive rushing it. But I have to do many, many posts trying to mop up the mess that results from haste in this hobby. If you want a stable, trouble-free tank, stay the course and finish the preparation.
Yes, a few small flakes of food a day will support your cuc, and life on your rocks will increase.
What she said!!! Give your clean up crew a few flakes to eat and let them be for 4 weeks. Meanwhile put your first fish into a Quarantine tank. What you don't want to do is add any fish directly to your Display Tank and contaminate it. If you get Ich in your display it will take you 72 days with no fish to get it out!

Go slowly.

Current Tank Info: A work in progress...
shesacharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2014, 04:21 AM   #15
Big_Boss_77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Sk8r,
Your pearls of wisdom never cease to make me chuckle.
On that note, I always check and make sure I don't do something Sk8r has already covered sufficiently and proved empirically as a bone headed move. Go nice and sloooooow, it'll pay dividends in the long run!

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon with a 5 gallon fuge and 10 gallon sump
Big_Boss_77 is offline   Reply With Quote