Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2016, 09:15 PM   #1
jstngates
Registered Member

Issues with radions hooking upto reeflink

I bought 2 Gen 2 pros and a reeflink. All I have is a samsung tablet and was told I needed the reeflink. I've plugged the reeflink into my WiFi box and it stays lit white. I've had ai primes before and that was easy to hook up to my tablet... download and go. This has been a big pain in the *** and I wished I had never got these leds. The support online is awful and there isn't a good manual online to help. Am I missing something here? I don't own a computer. All we use are tablets and smartphones in my house. Help would be aapreciated.

jstngates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2016, 11:22 PM   #2
NewJack
Registered Member

i'm not sure but i think you need a computer to set it up. Don't bother trying to get online help. You need to call them direct. They have a sponsor link here on Reefcentral where you can find their number.

NewJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2016, 10:05 AM   #3
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Were the lights used and used by someone else with reef Link? If so you need to call ecotech. Btw their support is fantastic.

Unread 11/24/2016, 10:38 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

I'm not sure you can setup the Reeflink with a tablet. I used a PC for initial setup on the last Reeflink I installed. You first setup a ecosmartlive account. Then plug the Reeflink into the PC via the USB cable and go through the setup and connect it to your network. At least that's how you do it via Wifi. Once you get the Reeflink setup on the network, you can use the web browser on your tablet. You then connect the Radion to the Reeflink via the USB cable that is included with the Radions. It's a micro USB connection on the Radion to USB A-Male on the Reeflink. You then log into ecosmartlive and perform a USB reset on the Radion at which point it can be added to Ecosmart live. If you bought your Reeflink used, you need to make sure that the previous owner has removed it form his ecosmart live account. Otherwise Ecotechs tech support will likely be required to clear it from the previous owners account.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2016, 01:01 PM   #5
jstngates
Registered Member

Yes both used. I did setup an ecosmart live on my tablet. To me this is a huge pain in the ***. I've had ai and it was very simple. Why can't they just make a program you download to a tablet like the ais do? It would be more user friendly. Plus for the price difference you'd think it would be possible. Very disappointed it's not more user friendly.

jstngates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2016, 01:17 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstngates View Post
Yes both used. I did setup an ecosmart live on my tablet. To me this is a huge pain in the ***. I've had ai and it was very simple. Why can't they just make a program you download to a tablet like the ais do? It would be more user friendly. Plus for the price difference you'd think it would be possible. Very disappointed it's not more user friendly.
It's actually pretty easy but one thing you have to realize about tablets is that there are so many different tablets and operating systems that developing an App for each variant and maintaining the app is a serious endeavor. That said, a new Reeflink may have been easier to setup since it wouldn't need to be reset. I had mine setup in a matter of minutes that last time I set one up. It was very simple but I also had a PC. Mine too was used though and had to be reset since it was already programmed for the previous owner.

If you know somebody that has a laptop, that would be best if you don't have a computer at home. I'd also double check with the original owner to make sure he doesn't have it linked to his ecosmartlive account as that will be an issue if he does since the Reef Link connects to the cloud and will only connect to the account it's registered to.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2016, 11:06 PM   #7
Ojos22
Registered Member

I have had nothing but amazing experiences with Ecotech. Setting up the reef ink was super easy but I did use a computer and cannot comment on a tablet or phone to setup. I can tell you if you call the toll free number on their website you will get all the help you need to solve the issue fast. Good luck!

Ojos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2016, 08:48 AM   #8
NaturalReef
Registered Member

I love Ecotech, but their reeflink is their weakest product. You need to hook up reeflink to your computer, do a factory reset and plug into a Ethernet port on your router. Wifi is completely useless, I repeat....useless. Other than that, I love their Radion and Vortech!

NaturalReef is offline   Reply With Quote