Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2012, 12:09 PM   #1326
pompeyjohn
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanman22 View Post
I have the pump on the exterior of the skimmer body model so I was thinking it would work just don't know if I should go with HY-1000 or HY-2000
Did you do this? I am looking to do the same. I have just had another atman 2500 impeller go bad.

pompeyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2012, 12:09 AM   #1327
MonsterE12
Moved On

I would think having almost any skimmer in that chamber would be effected by that much water level change, IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini aquarius(t) View Post
The one thing I have really noticed with this skimmer (150) is that with ANY change in the water level, it really throws off the skimming. I have mine in the pump section of my sump (the only place it fits) and the evaporation makes this skimmer a full time job of tinkering... food for thought

MonsterE12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2012, 08:41 AM   #1328
windyridge
Fish Mother

So my pump was quickly replaced (SCA-302 skimmer). It had stopped skimming and was very loud for the third time so the seller had me send him a video for the sound it was making. He then sent me a replacement pump within the week. So all is well and great customer service. I am glad to have a spare skimmer tho' at times like that.

92G Mixed reef, SCA-302 skimmer, 15g sump w/fuge & Eheim Compact Plus @650 gph, AI Sol Blue, Koralia 750 &Tunze Nanostream 6025, Apex Jr,Tomini, 6-Line, Brittle star, damsels, Gramma, RBTA/clown, PJ c

Current Tank Info: 92G Corner Bowfront Mixed Reef
windyridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2012, 09:24 AM   #1329
teog
Registered Member

Glad to hear your issue was resolved. My pump is still quiet. The only issue I have is I used jb waterweld to attach some corals and my skimmer is over flowing now for the last few days. Hopefully it stops soon. I may do large water change today to see if that helps.

teog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2012, 12:27 PM   #1330
MonsterE12
Moved On

I use to have the same problem with my ASM skimmer, whenever i would dose anything in the tank my skimmer would act funny for a couple hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teog View Post
Glad to hear your issue was resolved. My pump is still quiet. The only issue I have is I used jb waterweld to attach some corals and my skimmer is over flowing now for the last few days. Hopefully it stops soon. I may do large water change today to see if that helps.

Unread 10/15/2012, 12:40 PM   #1331
sweeper7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyridge View Post
So my pump was quickly replaced (SCA-302 skimmer). It had stopped skimming and was very loud for the third time so the seller had me send him a video for the sound it was making. He then sent me a replacement pump within the week. So all is well and great customer service. I am glad to have a spare skimmer tho' at times like that.
they sent you 3 different pumps and all were loud?

I am waiting to get my replacement skimmer after fighting tooth and nail to get the gu to respond. very disappointed in the chasing game he played.

My skimmer pump hums/vibrates very very loud and growls once in a while hopefully it'll be gone.

sweeper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2012, 08:27 PM   #1332
teog
Registered Member

Well after several days and a 50% water change my skimmer was still overflowing its collection cup instantly. Im not sure if a new sock filter or using jb marine weld was causing this issue.

The filter sock was washed in ro and vinager (maybe should have used bleach instead). So I raised the skimmer about 3.5 inches and set the valve to 3.5 and it seems to be working perfectly now again.

So the skimmer is in about 6 inches of water now. Oppose to the 9.5 it was set prior to this incident.
Ill keep an eye on it over the next couple of days to see if I will have to lower it again after the organics are skimmed out.

Unread 10/22/2012, 02:46 PM   #1333
sweeper7
Registered Member

Here is a wierd thing, I got my replacement Pump in and installed it and seems tobe quieter but one thing that caught my eye is this. With the previous pump my valve had to be at about 3-3.25 so it wouldn't overflow, now iwht this new pump I am running it at nearly 4.25-4.5 before overflow.

What is this a sign of? clearly the pump but what would cause it.

sweeper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2012, 03:44 PM   #1334
windyridge
Fish Mother

I got my replacement pump less than a week ago and it's stopped working already. I heard the telltale chattering and knew it's death was imminent. What is
going on??

92G Mixed reef, SCA-302 skimmer, 15g sump w/fuge & Eheim Compact Plus @650 gph, AI Sol Blue, Koralia 750 &Tunze Nanostream 6025, Apex Jr,Tomini, 6-Line, Brittle star, damsels, Gramma, RBTA/clown, PJ c

Unread 10/22/2012, 04:58 PM   #1335
TomcitieNet
Registered Member

I just spent a couple hours reading through all 54 pages of this thread and have decided to buy the SCA-302 for my 60 gallon cube build with a 10 gallon sump. Can someone confirm that the SCA-302 will fit in a 10 gallon sump though? The inner dimensions of a 10 gallon aquarium that I have found online are 9 1/4" wide.

TomcitieNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2012, 06:02 PM   #1336
sweedish15
Registered Member

Just to update, havent followed the thread. Ive had my SC150 for over a year now. I have the cone with the atman 2500 mounted underneath outside the body.

This skimmer is the best 100 dollars i've ever spent, still skims as strong as the day i got it. Pulls half a cup of thick sludge almost butter consistency every week. Dont hesitate, not much more I can say.

sweedish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2012, 07:08 PM   #1337
windyridge
Fish Mother

I guess I'm unlucky. Two pumps in a row fail. One after 6 months, one after a week. I did love this skimmer. Now I don't know what to think. The customer service is excellent and I know they are sourcing a new pump, but in the meantime I'm screwed.

Unread 10/23/2012, 08:50 AM   #1338
tommy tomato
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess I'm unlucky. Two pumps in a row fail. One after 6 months, one after a week. I did love this skimmer. Now I don't know what to think. The customer service is excellent and I know they are sourcing a new pump, but in the meantime I'm screwed.
My pump crapped out on me too at abou the same time as you. I replaced the pump with a mag 5 with an air infractionating impellar and it works great. I wouldn't waste my money on another one of the stock pumps they are crap.

As far as customer service this guy has fallen off. Afte explaining what Happened to my pump he said I need to clean it and get back to him. I responded that I had already cleaned it, and he just continues to ignore my emails. He did the exact thing to a friend of mine also. The skimmer is decent but the pump sucks. Unless they start using a better pump I wouldn't reccomend this for anything more than a back up skimmer.

Angelfish boy to Matt: Now go cry in your bathroom when your nitrates aren't in check.
tommy tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2012, 09:38 AM   #1339
windyridge
Fish Mother

Which guy did you talk too? I have been working with the guy at the Work And Shop SC email address and not ijnet or whatever his name is. He sent me the new pump free of charge but I paid the $13 shipping back to him for the bad pump. So how much is that pump and do you have the in the body skimmer and is it quiet? Is the air infractionating impellar stock and the pump fits ok in the body?

Unread 10/23/2012, 01:33 PM   #1340
teog
Registered Member

I have no complaints yet. I have been very happy with my skimmer. My pump is quiet and it skimmers very well for me. Sorry to hear folks are having a hard time with the pumps.

Unread 10/23/2012, 10:32 PM   #1341
pompeyjohn
Registered Member.

Has anyone found a cheap place to get impellers for the atman 2500?

Unread 10/23/2012, 11:51 PM   #1342
MonsterE12
Moved On

+1 mine has had no issues so far. Very happy especially for the price. I asked them again about the new larger skimmer coming out but they said they are still working out the details..who knows when it will be released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teog View Post
I have no complaints yet. I have been very happy with my skimmer. My pump is quiet and it skimmers very well for me. Sorry to hear folks are having a hard time with the pumps.

Unread 10/23/2012, 11:52 PM   #1343
MonsterE12
Moved On

I would contact them again for sure, I wouldn't be too happy if i were in your shoes

Quote:
I got my replacement pump less than a week ago and it's stopped working already. I heard the telltale chattering and knew it's death was imminent. What is
going on??

Unread 10/23/2012, 11:54 PM   #1344
MonsterE12
Moved On

Hmm, well how long was your skimmer sitting without a pump, if at all? If it was without a pump for a certain time, the "slime" buildup inside the skimmer chamber could of dried out, causing it to want to break in again. I've got mine in 10" of water and set at 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper7 View Post
Here is a wierd thing, I got my replacement Pump in and installed it and seems tobe quieter but one thing that caught my eye is this. With the previous pump my valve had to be at about 3-3.25 so it wouldn't overflow, now iwht this new pump I am running it at nearly 4.25-4.5 before overflow.

What is this a sign of? clearly the pump but what would cause it.

Unread 10/24/2012, 07:18 AM   #1345
tommy tomato
Registered Member

Quote:
Which guy did you talk too? I have been working with the guy at the Work And Shop SC email address and not ijnet or whatever his name is. He sent me the new pump free of charge but I paid the $13 shipping back to him for the bad pump. So how much is that pump and do you have the in the body skimmer and is it quiet? Is the air infractionating impellar stock and the pump fits ok in the body?
Not sure on the price.. I had it sitting around as a spare. I have the pump inside 302 model. The air infractionating impeller is $20 shipped but you can purchase the pump with the a/I impeller as a kit. The volute and air tube from the atman pump fits perfect on the mag 5 so there is nothing to buy there. It is a little louder but from air draw alone as it pulls more air than the stock pump.

Yea I was dealing the the ljnet guy could you give me the email address you were dealing with?

Angelfish boy to Matt: Now go cry in your bathroom when your nitrates aren't in check.
tommy tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2012, 08:39 AM   #1346
discocarp
Registered Member

Quote:
The skimmer is decent but the pump sucks. Unless they start using a better pump I wouldn't reccomend this for anything more than a back up skimmer.
I agree with this assessment. If you read through the thread, it is obvious the pumps are a crapshoot. Some people got a great working pump, but a lot of us didn't.

discocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2012, 01:10 PM   #1347
teog
Registered Member

After everything is said and done my skimmer is in about 6.5 inches of water and the stand pipe is a hair over 4.

Here is a little over a weeks of skimate on my tank with the 302

Unread 10/25/2012, 01:43 PM   #1348
pompeyjohn
Registered Member.

Has anyone found a source for the replacement impellers for the atman 2500 that dont cost 90% of a new pump?

Unread 10/25/2012, 02:41 PM   #1349
todd141
Golf Nut

http://www.shop.clayboa.com/product....0&categoryId=3

This looks a bit interesting.

w w w.shop.clayboa.com/product.sc?productId=60&categoryId=3[/url]

Link isn't working for me out of this message, here's the address.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon; Lifereef overflow; 18 gallon acrylic sump

Last edited by todd141; 10/25/2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: link
todd141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2012, 02:02 PM   #1350
allsps40
Registered Member

Well it has been a while since I have been on RC, been busy with life. My SC 302 is still skimming along. I have had no issues with it.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote