Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2017, 06:51 AM   #2501
nemodan
Registered Member

Hi Matt

Do you remember we planned to see each other in Maine. It was in a couple of posts. Unfortunately this week I am in Florida enjoying my granddaughter and using for the first time the new house here. We got a house nearby my son. The greatgrandpa's (my parents) enjoy the greatgrandoughter and stay out of the Mass winter. My parents are now babysitting my tanks, dogs and parrots.

The story of the key was a nice one and don't pay attention to those horror stories of Maine ( LOL ). The coasts of Maine are very pretty.

Could be next year, if we aren't in vacation at the same time, I can do the drive and meet for a beer in Maine.

Cheers and enjoy the "free tank days " LOL.

Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2017, 10:33 PM   #2502
shih87
Registered Member

Enjoy your vocation, Matt.

The entire tank look fantastic and thanks for reply me your tank nutrition level timely.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2017, 07:43 PM   #2503
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westreef View Post
I have visited Acadia National Park twice when my kids were teenagers long time ago. I wish I could live around there -- so beautiful!

Enjoy your vacation.
Thanks, Bernie. I've never been up that far north in Maine. Before we had kids, my wife and I visited the desert of Maine which is actually a true sandy desert and then we did some coastal camping. It was really beautiful. And really cool to see the desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
I must say I have been wanting to read your entire thread for a while now but the 100 pages always seemed daunting to me. Well over the past couple weeks I have read every page and you have been through quit a journey. I am glad things are turning around for you and maybe you will once again be happy with the tank like you use to be.

I haven't seen you mention an issue with cyano in about 20 pages, lol. Are you still dealing with it?
WOW!! my hat is off to you, sir!! I am very very humbled that you read through my entire thread. That is no small accomplishment!!
When my tank is doing well and I am feeling as though I am making positive changes and seeing the results, I am always happy with my tank and generally happy. But when it all goes sour, the tank is one big chore. Right now, I am anxious to get home and have a look at things.
I just had my tank sitter text me a pic of the tank and it seems to be doing fine.
I cannot remember the last time I had even a hint of cyano in the tank. Must be over a year, maybe a year and a half. The last time I had cyano, I did a red slime remover treatment and it never came back.
It's funny.. I always talk about system stability and aiming for consistency in maintenance but when I think about the past 3 ish years, it's really been one big experimentation with an alk crash here, a tank leak there, cyano outbreak or whatever..
There are so many methods of successfully keeping a reef, I guess I've been fooling around a lot trying a few different methods out.. winning at some and losing at some.. I hope to and want to keep on my current path of using the cheato to keep n low and hopefull keep p low as well, continue with the prodibio and added fluorine/iodine/aminos/vitamins..
I have done so many different things over the last few years and lost some really beautiful corals. Some I know I cannot replace.. I've caused many to go dormant and they may never wake up.
I'm liking what is happening right now, though so I am going to try to get a system in place that I can stick to....... famous last words.....
Again, I thank you for taking the enormous amount of time to go through the entire thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
Hi Matt

Do you remember we planned to see each other in Maine. It was in a couple of posts. Unfortunately this week I am in Florida enjoying my granddaughter and using for the first time the new house here. We got a house nearby my son. The greatgrandpa's (my parents) enjoy the greatgrandoughter and stay out of the Mass winter. My parents are now babysitting my tanks, dogs and parrots.

The story of the key was a nice one and don't pay attention to those horror stories of Maine ( LOL ). The coasts of Maine are very pretty.

Could be next year, if we aren't in vacation at the same time, I can do the drive and meet for a beer in Maine.

Cheers and enjoy the "free tank days " LOL.

Daniel
Hey Dan, yes I remember, it was quite a while ago! hopefully, one day our paths will cross and we can shake hands and have a beer. That would be great!
Yes the scariest thing about the house we are staying at right now, are the wild turkeys who make a couple visits to our backyard each day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post
Enjoy your vocation, Matt.

The entire tank look fantastic and thanks for reply me your tank nutrition level timely.
Thanks! Any time, always happy to answer any questions.

Here's an iPhone pano shot I took today of the kids and our dog on the beach at low(ish) tide..

I'll be back in montreal on Saturday to eyeball the tank in person.. I'm a homebody.. can't wait.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2017, 07:53 PM   #2504
slavetonet
Registered Member

Enjoy your holiday mate.
You can turn off Reef Central for that duration. LOL.

slavetonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2017, 08:23 PM   #2505
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ha! That's what my wife says, too!
Maybe I'll try it 'till Saturday.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/02/2017, 08:34 PM   #2506
Pife
Registered Member

I find it relaxing on here! Looks like you're having a fantastic time.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2017, 08:38 PM   #2507
reefmutt
Registered Member

Don't tell anybody I'm answereing you, Pife..
I was never here..
I agree..

Unread 08/03/2017, 07:35 AM   #2508
reefmutt
Registered Member

This is an interesting and slightly scary article about the hobby and the dangers of palytoxin and zoanthids..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ational&wpmk=1

Unread 08/03/2017, 07:39 AM   #2509
reefmutt
Registered Member

And while I'm at it, another one on sunscreen and it's potential roll in damaging coral reefs...
http://www.ewg.org/enviroblog/2016/0...s#.WYMnLUFE2aM

Unread 08/09/2017, 03:20 PM   #2510
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ok! Got back last weekend. Tank did well.
Alk is sitting at 5.5.. been there since before I left.. it started going down as I was increasing co2 but clearly I didn't raise the co2 enough. Luckily, I turned it up enough to hold at 5.5 for the week I was gone.
When I got home, I noticed my regulator had failed- must have just happened, or alk would have been much lower... phew!!
So, now I am trying to increase alk, at least to 6.5. Work in progress..
In the meantime, I slapped my iPhone into my viewing box and made a fast and dirty top down video. No music, no smoothness, no nothin'!!
Keep in mind that the iPhone is notorious for over saturating colours so you can take it with a grain of salt.
I turned on all my light for the video: 3 150w radiums, 5 plus plus, 1 coral plus and 4 AI Prime- all leds on.
Sorry about the choppiness. The phone was sliding around a bit and it was hard to reach in there and focus the camera every now and then.

https://youtu.be/0uNz8I81hwU

Not sure I can embed the video from the YouTube phone app..

Unread 08/09/2017, 05:04 PM   #2511
slavetonet
Registered Member

Good to see your tank is doing really well now.
It's very little bit saturated, but nothing that tells me its fake colours like I have seen in some others on the youtube.
You seem to have alot of large bubble algae - have you thought of removing them?

slavetonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 05:23 PM   #2512
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks! Yeah.. I don't have blue LEDs only, on full blast or anything like that..
I have less bubble algea that I've ever had, I think.. it seems to be very slowly going away.
I've never really removed them but I do go in and pop them with a pin, on accusation..

Unread 08/09/2017, 10:35 PM   #2513
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Nice video! What is the orange/pinkish coral at the 2:13 mark?

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 04:04 AM   #2514
biggles
Registered Member

Loved the video Matt, you have some insane colored acros in there amongst all the beautiful ones.........

Glad you and the family had a nice holiday, time for you to do a Sammy on your acros now please mate........ everyone here loves your reef photography

Unread 08/10/2017, 07:13 AM   #2515
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks! I think you are referring to the RR fruity pebbles. That's the one that has two distinct fingers going outward. That is two frags I glued near each other. They have since encrusted into each other. March (Fragbox) sent me a new one when the first one started rtning, but then it stopped and March had already shipped me a new one. The first one recovered and now I have the two but they have not really done anything in over 6 months.. if you are referring to the more normal growing one that is just above and to the right, it's a no name from Canada corals that I just liked the colour of..

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Loved the video Matt, you have some insane colored acros in there amongst all the beautiful ones.........

Glad you and the family had a nice holiday, time for you to do a Sammy on your acros now please mate........ everyone here loves your reef photography

Thanks, Andrew. We tried to eat just turkey on this trip and leave the children alone... tried..
I'm really trying to not change anything in my husbandry, to try and wake up some dormant corals.. it's frustrating when I look at my tank and see lots of corals looking good but then others that I know could look so much better, just sitting there..
I think I'll let the memory of Sam's crazy photos simmer down a bit before doing a photo shoot.
I can't compete with the quality of the photos or the subjects!

Unread 08/10/2017, 10:53 AM   #2516
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
That's the same one I zeroed in on.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 02:23 PM   #2517
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I loved your latest video Matt. You have so many colourful Acros. I appreciated the size of your tank better after this video. I think recording without a soundtrack enabled me to focus on your corals better.

I have just got my hands on my son's GoPro and will do some recording experiments without sound. Thanks for the inspiration.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 08:06 PM   #2518
reefmutt
Registered Member

Any time Bulent!
I might do another one and move more slowly and turn the pumps off.. maybe remove a few blue plus bulbs..
I'd like to try a go pro. I think it reproduces colours more faithfully.

Unread 08/11/2017, 02:48 AM   #2519
Usernam Invalid
Moved On

Look at all those purty sticks.....love it

Usernam Invalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 02:59 AM   #2520
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Any time Bulent!
I might do another one and move more slowly and turn the pumps off.. maybe remove a few blue plus bulbs..
I'd like to try a go pro. I think it reproduces colours more faithfully.
I recorded two short videos using GoPro last night. I felt that it reproduced colours more realistically as you said.

I have a question for you Matt: Did your nardoa starfish have any impact on the asterina population?

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 05:32 AM   #2521
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernam Invalid View Post
Look at all those purty sticks.....love it
Thank you sir! Trying to keep up with the Joneses..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
I recorded two short videos using GoPro last night. I felt that it reproduced colours more realistically as you said.

I have a question for you Matt: Did your nardoa starfish have any impact on the asterina population?
Hey Bulent, I really don't think they did much. They are still moving around the tank and doing fine but the astarina population has not really diminished. I guess I just have a critical mass that they can't overcome. I'll have to add a couple more..
Looking forward to your videos!

Unread 08/11/2017, 05:51 AM   #2522
kainic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hey Bulent, I really don't think they did much. They are still moving around the tank and doing fine but the astarina population has not really diminished. I guess I just have a critical mass that they can't overcome. I'll have to add a couple more..
Some reefers suggest that Linckia laevigata do eat asterinas. I'll buy one if my population increases.

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 06:22 AM   #2523
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Sergi, after reading about Big E's use of a nardoa to remove astarinas from his tank, I used one clear out a tank of astarinas over a period 6 months in a different tank.
They seem to do a good job but they are not fast eaters so if the population is too large, they don't keep up..
I haven't seen any evidence that blue linkia eat astarina.. that would be great if they did, I'd add a couple of them, as we'll, they are so nice!

Unread 08/11/2017, 07:32 AM   #2524
neacewood
Registered Member

Amazing!! Will definitely be following from here on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neacewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 07:39 AM   #2525
reefmutt
Registered Member

Welcome aboard!