Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2017, 08:59 AM   #1
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Biocube 32 ATO options

Hi all, I definitely need to get an ATO system for my BC32. Some advice on which one you are using and where did you put it (which chamber).

I see that some of you have the Tunze Osmolator Nano ATO but it seems that there might have been some issues with them dying?

Any other options out there and also...what chamber did you put it in and was it easy/hard to install?

Thanks

Jen

Jenyphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Scurvy Dawg
Registered Member

I use the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro on my 32. I have the fill tube in chamber 2 and I have zero complaints about it. Works very well and has some nice safety features. Very easy to install.

Scurvy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Checking it out now..another quick question (sorry!). Does this come with the container for the water? If not, what did you use?

Unread 03/17/2017, 01:36 PM   #4
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I have a Tunze Osmolator nano, and have had it running without issue for about a year and a half. Highly recommended. Most Tunze products are fantastic. All but their stupid 9001 skimmer have generally received excellent reviews.

If the pump did die, I'm sure they'd replace it under warranty pretty quickly and easily. The only exception to this is if you use kalk in your ATO, which they've said to NOT use with their pumps as it can clog and break the pump. They do sell an in-line kalk container to add kalk after the initial water intake.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 01:48 PM   #5
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Looks like I will be purchasing something today as BRS is having a St. Patty's day sale.

Unread 03/17/2017, 01:50 PM   #6
skiingfast
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyphur View Post
Checking it out now..another quick question (sorry!). Does this come with the container for the water? If not, what did you use?
No. The ATOs come with their unit, a system that monitors the water height and sometimes a pump. The two systems recommended both include pumps.

For the reservoir of ATO water I use a 5 gallon jug from Walmart. It has a screw on wide mouth that the pump fits through and a second small opening that I run the tubing through to supply water to the tank. On another tank I use a standard 10G tank.

Ideally your reservoir is as big as can be, just so you don't have to refill it often. All that is really required is it's made of safe material, and a lid to keep dust and debris out.

skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 10:21 AM   #7
TexChuck
Registered Member

I've been running the Tunze Nano ATO for 2 months with no problem. For a resovoir, I'm using one of the 5g water totes from the LFS; the wide mouth pouring lid is big enough to fit the pump in, and I rest the lid on top to limit evaporation.

I have the float sensor in chamber 3 of my BC32, and am keeping the water level in line with the top shelf in the media tray, which keeps the water line even for the Tunze nano skimmer in chamber 2.

TexChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 11:40 AM   #8
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Fantastic, I ended up buying the SmartATO because I liked how small it is as well as no moving parts. I also picked up 2 - 5 gallon jugs of RODI from my LFS which will work nicely. I will post pics once I get it and get it installed.

Unread 10/30/2017, 07:48 PM   #9
MikeyLegs
Registered Member

Hey Jenyphur. I'm in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank and I've really enjoyed your build progress. It seems like we must have been reading many of the same sites because my planned build/stock is almost exactly the same as yours lol. My question is about your SmartATO unit. Are you still using it? How do you like it? How long does the 5 gallon RO reservoir last? Is the luxury worth the added expense?

I would appreciate your (and anybody elses) input. Thanks!

MikeyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 07:55 PM   #10
Darryl Hey
Registered Member

Tunze osmolator

Darryl Hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 02:37 PM   #11
TexChuck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLegs View Post
Hey Jenyphur. I'm in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank and I've really enjoyed your build progress. It seems like we must have been reading many of the same sites because my planned build/stock is almost exactly the same as yours lol. My question is about your SmartATO unit. Are you still using it? How do you like it? How long does the 5 gallon RO reservoir last? Is the luxury worth the added expense?

I would appreciate your (and anybody elses) input. Thanks!
I run the Tunze with Kalk in my 32 g BC. With the feeding door open to promote evap, I'm only having to top off the 5g jug with fresh water every 3-4 weeks, and I add more water/kalk when it gets down to 1/3 full or so.

TexChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 08:27 PM   #12
eddiereefs
Registered Member

Not to hijack but has any one tried the innovative marine aqua gadget? Looks good

eddiereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 11:01 AM   #13
dabob79
Registered Member

I'm using a used JBJ auto top off unit that I bought from someone here local, paired with a Toms Aqualifter pump, and so far it's working great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
dabob79 is offline   Reply With Quote