Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2017, 07:08 PM   #51
Shamous113
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
It is not easy to get the fishing line in between the baffles so that you can use a saw motion to cut them out. Use a razor blade. What really works nice is the blade from a disposable razor. Very thin. I have cut panels from my tank building days out so I know the process too well Regardless how you do it is not difficult.
I never thought of using braided fishing line, does it work well or wear out quick? I've used a guitar string/piano wire before and it worked well but it can be tough on the hands.

Unread 11/09/2017, 07:26 PM   #52
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

on some tight spots, the fishing line may break. metal wire of course will be better.
tie each end to a pencil, so you are not holding the line directly, as it can hurt your hands/fingers.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 11:22 AM   #53
heathlindner25
Moved On

I would love to know what store did the work.

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 11:28 AM   #54
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathlindner25 View Post
I would love to know what store did the work.
yeah I don't know why they haven't stated it yet..
There is zero reason to protect the store if thats really what they did to a customer....

I've got my pitchfork ready.. Lets find out and and string them up by their motherf.....oops..got carried away..

Unread 11/13/2017, 10:47 PM   #55
carlosceo2175
Registered Member

I would just buy a sump made ,just my 2 cents ,I wouldn’t bother with it ,just go back to the Lfs and ask for credit towards a new sump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlosceo2175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 07:25 AM   #56
Bulldog39
Registered Member

My wife bought me this one but it seems small will know when it gets here. Might put it inside this one after I take out the baffles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bulldog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 04:53 PM   #57
Lsufan
Registered Member

That will work as long as the skimmer fits. It’s a basic sock, skimmer, return sump. Space may be a issue but if u plan on having a fuge u can use that as the sump & use the other as a refugium once u take out the baffles.

I’m not sure what placing one inside of the other would accomplish.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 05:59 PM   #58
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Seen on YouTube someone use a setup like tjis tjen habe a separate refugium. Any idea how they do that? Is it a return pump from the sump to the refugium tank then out to the display?

Unread 11/14/2017, 07:13 PM   #59
Lsufan
Registered Member

They have a few different ways u can do it. I feed mine from my return pump & the fuge gravity drains back to the sump. The fuge is the one on the right. I have a manifold on my return that feeds a couple reactors & the fuge. I attached the sump & fuge with two bulkheads Incase one gets clogged I would have a backup drain.

Unread 11/14/2017, 07:30 PM   #60
Bulldog39
Registered Member

So your return pump splits and goes to the tank and refugium and then the other bulk head is for the overflow of the refugium back to the pump area?

Unread 11/14/2017, 07:55 PM   #61
Lsufan
Registered Member

Both of the bulkheads in the picture in the last post are drains. I wanted two drains Incase one gets clogged. U can’t see the return in that picture but I will see if I have one. I have a manifold on my return, which is essentially just a branch off the return line with multiple valves & outlets. I use a couple for reactors & I use one to feed the fuge. This is the manifold. U can’t see the return after the tee but it keeps going straight out of the tee behind the stand.

Unread 11/14/2017, 08:28 PM   #62
Bulldog39
Registered Member

So from tank to sump to the skimmer to second tank refugium to a return area? So each tank has two areas?

Unread 11/15/2017, 11:04 PM   #63
Lsufan
Registered Member

No, the return pump would also be in the sump. The refugium would be by itself. Basically u would tee off the return pipe going to the tank. U would feed the refugium from the tee off the return pipe. Then the refugium would drain back to the return section via gravity.

U can also feed the fuge by splitting the drains coming from the dt. I prefer feeding it from my return pump for multiple reasons. One reason is so u can close the valve that is feeding the fuge & take the fuge offline for maintenance without having to shut the rest of the system down.

If u want to get more ideas u can do a search for remote refugiums. They have a bunch of people who have them so it is a pretty common thing to do.

Unread 11/16/2017, 05:48 AM   #64
Bulldog39
Registered Member

AWSOME thanks for advise