Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Jonahnguyen
Registered Member

Live Rock hitchhiker-Baby anemone? aiptasia?

I recently bought a used tank on Craigslist that of course came with lots of live rock. I just got it yesterday and noticed today that a 1 or 2 of these were on a rock. Should I be worried? Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150818_135638.jpg (35.4 KB, 118 views)
Jonahnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Dayson
Registered Member

Looks like Aiptasia to me. They are bad, i would try to kill them before it gets out of hand.

Dayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2015, 01:21 PM   #3
Spacekitty
Registered Member

Live Rock hitchhiker-Baby anemone? aiptasia?

Looks like Aiptasia to me too. Kill them all asap because they multiply like crazy. Within a few days your tank will be covered with them and they will be near impossible to get rid of.
Peppermint shrimp are popular to remove them if you have a problem, but if there are just one or two of them, AiptasiaX or lemon juice in a syringe will take care of it. If you have a serious issue with them and don't want peppermint shrimp, filefish will also eat them, but be careful because some will poke at your other corals (mine doesn't, but a lot do).

Spacekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2015, 01:28 PM   #4
Jonahnguyen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacekitty View Post
Looks like Aiptasia to me too. Kill them all asap because they multiply like crazy. Within a few days your tank will be covered with them and they will be near impossible to get rid of.
Peppermint shrimp are popular to remove them if you have a problem, but if there are just one or two of them, AiptasiaX or lemon juice in a syringe will take care of it. If you have a serious issue with them and don't want peppermint shrimp, filefish will also eat them, but be careful because some will poke at your other corals (mine doesn't, but a lot do).

Its a light blue color. Can aiptasia be that color? Or only brown? Thanks!

Unread 08/18/2015, 01:30 PM   #5
Jonahnguyen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahnguyen View Post
Its a light blue color. Can aiptasia be that color? Or only brown? Thanks!
I'm only asking because whenever I see pictures of aiptasia they are brown.

Unread 08/18/2015, 01:35 PM   #6
Spacekitty
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm only asking because whenever I see pictures of aiptasia they are brown.

If they are in a low light area or very young (just popped up), they can be a near transparent color, though I am unsure if they are a very obvious blue. I am on my phone and can't see the coloration that well from your picture, but the shape looks very Aiptasia

Unread 08/18/2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Jonahnguyen
Registered Member

Another picture

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150818_140133.jpg (37.7 KB, 51 views)
Unread 08/18/2015, 01:37 PM   #8
Jonahnguyen
Registered Member

Seems to be transparent to me actually. Its aiptasia then. How should I go about killing them? I don't see any on the other rock but the rock that does have a few is in a bucket right now

Unread 08/18/2015, 01:39 PM   #9
Jonahnguyen
Registered Member

Could I just scrape it off or would that not be good enough?

Unread 08/18/2015, 02:20 PM   #10
Spacekitty
Registered Member

You could try scraping it, but the second you get near it, it will shrivel up and hide. I would recommend AipasiaX or lemon juice shot into it. Just make sure you get it into the main body of the thing before it hides.
Peppermint shrimp also eat them usually, but that could take some time and they could easily spread badly by then.

Unread 08/18/2015, 05:43 PM   #11
AdamNC
Registered Member

If only 1, use 2 part epoxy and smoother it in it's hole.

AdamNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2015, 05:45 PM   #12
blanden.adam
Registered Member

Scraping it would be a bad idea. It will just shear and spread throughout the tank. I'd recommend injecting it with lemon juice. Many pharmacies will sell you hypodermic needles like the ones for diabetics, so take a big dose of lemon juice, get close to the nem, quickly stab it through its mouth into its body, depress the plunger, and watch it die.

Current Tank Info: Low Tech Reef. 282 gallon starphire display. 2x400W Radiums in Cozumel Sun reflectors. 150 Gallon Rubbermaid Sump w/50 gallon chaeto refugium. Lifereef skimmer. 2-part dosing.
blanden.adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2015, 06:02 PM   #13
Happyschneider
Registered Member

Got a gif of a dying Manajo in my build thread if you want to see what happens to those critters when treated

Someone gave me the tip to also seal the crevice where they were with super glue. Might be over cautious but then can you really be when it comes to aptasia?

I also had my stone removed from the tank for treatment but decided not to return it into the qt. Was not worth it. Fingers crossed that they did not spread in my nor your tank.

180 liter, sumpless reef, no skimmer for the moment.

Current Tank Info: Juwel VISION 180, currently only invertebrates, planning to have low bioload as I have no skimmer and no refugium for the moment.
Happyschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2015, 05:08 PM   #14
Jonahnguyen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyschneider View Post
Got a gif of a dying Manajo in my build thread if you want to see what happens to those critters when treated

Someone gave me the tip to also seal the crevice where they were with super glue. Might be over cautious but then can you really be when it comes to aptasia?

I also had my stone removed from the tank for treatment but decided not to return it into the qt. Was not worth it. Fingers crossed that they did not spread in my nor your tank.
Is super glue safe in aquariums? Couldn't you just kinda glue the aiptasia with super glue and see what happens? And Im just letting the rock dry out for a couple of days. Could cause a mini cycle but its a pretty small piece.

Unread 08/19/2015, 05:25 PM   #15
Rx79394
Registered Member

Quote:
Is super glue safe in aquariums? Couldn't you just kinda glue the aiptasia with super glue and see what happens? And Im just letting the rock dry out for a couple of days. Could cause a mini cycle but its a pretty small piece.
Yes superglue is safe for the tank, that is what most people use to mount frags.

Rx79394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2015, 09:17 PM   #16
LuciDog
Registered Member

I use a syringe with airline on the end. Fill it all with boiling water. Aim and fire!!! Then once you've hit it well and it's dead looking, back the syringe up and pull it up your airline. No chemicals. No additives. Takes 5 minutes

LuciDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aiptasia, anemone, identification