Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2011, 10:48 PM   #1
Goofishie
Registered Member

what ballast gives the most blue?

I have been running two 150w 50,000k iwasaki bulbs on my 210 reef. They look pretty good, but I noticed that during initial firing they yield a nice blue, and then level off to a more purplish white. I have them on a couple of generic electronic ballasts. I want to attatch a third bulb in the center (so far it is minimal lighting but I am getting sps growth). I was thinking of either over driving the bulb with a 175 electronic, using magnetic instead, or using an iwasaki ballast. I would love to see if they will burn more blue.

Goofishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2011, 09:28 AM   #2
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Running the HQI 150 with electronic is actually under driving it, which will tend to make it more blue. Using a M81 HQI ballast will make it more white, as it is supplying the proper power to it. I have used 175 watt ARO electronic ballasts to run 150's and it does drive it a little more than 150 watt electronics, but if your goal is to have more blue, you should supplement with a T5 Blue Plus bulb. When run correctly with HQI ballasts, you bulb will be more white so a ballast change will not give you what you are looking for.

A suggestion, run Radium or Phoenix bulbs when you change them out, they will be a little more blue than the Iwasaki or add a couple of T5 bulbs to supplement.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Goofishie
Registered Member

They are not HQI bulbs. They are standard size 150 single end. They are 50,000 Kelvin. When they start they are deep royal blue. I figured the high voltage warm up was making them bluer, however, I could try a dimmable ballast and see what happens. I might just try some combinations and see what happens. As they are, they actually produce a nice light that is rich and intense. They are comparable to the Pheonix and Radium bulbs as far as the blue. I also plan to add a couple of high power LED modules to the mix.

Unread 12/05/2011, 11:43 PM   #4
Goofishie
Registered Member

Has anyone tried the Iwasaki ballasts?

Unread 12/05/2011, 11:48 PM   #5
Goofishie
Registered Member

options: 175w electronic ballast-like I use on HQI, Iwsaki ballast, magnetic ballast, dimmable ballast in 150, try other bulbs like the Radium in 150 single end.

Unread 12/06/2011, 07:33 AM   #6
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

There are very few bulb choices in 150 watt single end, and the 50000k is more readily available in the DE variety. I actually didn't know they were available here in the SE style, that is usually a European variety. Since you have the ability to run 175 watt, you will find more bulb choices in that, or if you like the 150's I would still suggest running a T5 to fine tune the color you want. Since it is single ended and not HQI spec, running it on 175 watt ballast will overdrive it which tends to make it more white and will reduce the life of the bulb.

To satisfy my own curiosity, where are you buying 150 watt SE bulbs here?

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote