Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2014, 06:28 PM   #26
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

For genral informationThis link provided by API ,the manufacturer provides some information on tests by the University of Georgia on ammonia toxicity and the benign effects of a AMMO- LOCK ( a sodium thiosulfate penthhydrate ) detoxifier; I keep it on hand in case of spiky ammonia but rarely have to use it. It's simple and does not contain slime coat stuff or other unidentified ingredients per the product mds at least:

http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/Ammo_...udy_8.1.08.pdf

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 11:21 AM   #27
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Ostentation is the laborious, discursive ,verbose elaboration of the obvious.
Please write with reason.

Suppose I claim that if you have an established DT, then, in order to have a second DT, there is no need to cycle for the second one. All you need to do is to leave some medium in the sump of the first one and then use later for the second one. Am I right? For what reason if I were wrong?

Pretty much the same logic applies for QT. How does the myth of soaking or "seeding" in DT start? The reason is likely that it is convinent and works sometimes--when the bioload in QT is very much less than than in DT.

For me, I never by fish online but I buy as many as I can get at LFS for a setup. When my medium for QT is ready I go shopping for all that can be found. The bioload in QT will be somewhat high. The soaking in sump of dt method will obviously fail for me. I never even remotely think of it.

If you buy online, there can be a tendency to buy more to match shipping costs. The bioload in QT can be rather high. If you do so, the soaking pad in DT sump method may very well lead to calamity.

If you insist on soaking pads in DT, at least make sure that such pads from DT process one strong pulse of ammonia in a separate container before you order many fish.

After you have done so, next time the idea of cycling separately medium for QT might be natural to you as well.

Last edited by wooden_reefer; 10/31/2014 at 11:32 AM.
wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 12:45 PM   #28
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

More gibberish and misrepresentation without a point. Cylcling media separately is one way to do it; no one said it wasn't; it's not the only way. This has already been covered well.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 01:33 PM   #29
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
More gibberish and misrepresentation without a point. Cylcling media separately is one way to do it; no one said it wasn't; it's not the only way. This has already been covered well.
Please trace the thread.

I started with merely asking a few questions.

I approach this quite logically by saying when "soaking in DT" method could work marginally well.

1. When the bioload for QT is much lower than that in QT.

2. The fudge factor of feeding to the DT a little more while the pad is in, and a little less after taken out, helps

The fact is that there are many "Ammonia in QT" SOS posts in this forum. Many people suffer from a myth.

In an established DT, the population of bacteria is in balance with the bioload. This is the fundamental fact. There is only a small fudge factor to exploit, rather limited. This should be very clear.

wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote