Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2008, 09:17 AM   #1
RoscoPColtrane
Registered Member

percula problem

I bought 2 very small perculas about 8 months ago. I QT'd for 1.5 months. They have been very healthy and are now paired and living in my GBTA. The male eats a lot but his stomach seems to be abnormally distended the past 4 or 5 days. I decreased feedings and it has reduced somewhat. I also noticed stringy white feces. It is possible to get a stomach parasite or disease this late in the game? Nothing in the tank has changed in the last 8 months.

After reading many posts I'm thinking about treating the male with PraziPro. Does anyone have any experience with this or know if it is available locally? As luck would have it I'm leaving for vacation in 8 days. Thanks in advance for any advice...

RoscoPColtrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2008, 09:48 AM   #2
dan10342
Registered Member

yea, sounds like a parasite. If it still eats, thats good. but if it has a parasite, the parasite will eat all of the food u feed the fish, before the fish digests it. I WOULD keep doing what your doing.... your are treating it correct?

dan10342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2008, 09:52 AM   #3
RoscoPColtrane
Registered Member

I am not treating it right now. He is still eating and swimming normally. I do not want to cause any additional stress if it can be avoided.

Unread 05/08/2008, 10:05 AM   #4
GMaquarium
Registered Member

If the fish eats, feed it.

I think feeding the fish small amount of medicated, or laced food would be a good thing.

When you medicated water, you wait for the fish to take in the chemical with water and when there is enough of it in the blood stream it kills the parasites. By feeding the medication to the fish you deliver right to the source. Especially if its an internal parasite in digestive track.

this is just my opinion

By the way is this clown a wild cought or tank raised?

Unread 05/08/2008, 10:09 AM   #5
steel3470
Registered Member

Rosco sorry about your fish hows akron treating you i grew up there in sandhill

steel3470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2008, 10:15 AM   #6
RoscoPColtrane
Registered Member

GM thanks for the info. I will try to locate some medication today. Both fish were wild caught and have been eating well and healthy since I received them last Oct.

Steel, I grew up in Akron, moved away and then moved back a few years ago to complete my graduate school through UB.

Unread 05/08/2008, 10:18 AM   #7
GMaquarium
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RoscoPColtrane
GM thanks for the info. I will try to locate some medication today. Both fish were wild caught and have been eating well and healthy since I received them last Oct.

Steel, I grew up in Akron, moved away and then moved back a few years ago to complete my graduate school through UB.
Wild caught, as I thought.

This by the way is the reason I only order perfect tank raised clown from places like ORA. and they don't cost more now days.

GMaquarium is offline   Reply With Quote