Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 10/08/2009, 12:31 PM   #76
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
If the pellets are an organic carbon source which I believe they are. it would be of benefit to heterotrophic bacteria. Autotrophs don't need organic carbon and do fine with CO2.
Can you explain to me what the difference is between autotrophs and hetrotrophic bacteria ?
my understanding of micro biology elementary .

greetingzz tntneon

Current Tank Info: 154 G SPS dominated + 25 G sump ; lighting : 210 W LED XPG/XRE (sunrise) + 150 W T5 (bl+ , 15°K , fiji , bl+) ; skimmer : Royal Exclusive supermarine 200 ; BM 3-Ch dosing pump (CA/ ALk and top-off) ; tunze 6085 circulation
Unread 10/08/2009, 02:20 PM   #77
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

Heterotrophic bacteria are the first to develop on a sand bed. Heterothrophs are simply bacteria that use organic compounds for their carbon source. Just like you Newbies, they chow down on just about anything that is placed in front of them. When the compound is something like a protein, that contains nitrogen, some of that nitrogen is excreted as ammonia. This of course is toxic to fish and invertebrates.

There is another group of bacteria, called autotrophs, that get their carbon directly from carbon dioxide. As an energy source they oxidize ammonia to create nitrite and nitrates. The problem with autotrophs is they do not grow nearly as fast as heterotrophs (the only thing slower is that Newbie mind of yours) and it takes time to seed a UGF with sufficient numbers to do much good. Usually it takes 7-10 days for enough nitrifying bacteria to populate a filter and allow it to convert ammonia to less toxic forms. It is interesting that there is a large debate on which bacteria actually accomplish nitrification in an aquarium. Candidates are, but not limited to, Nitrosomonas, Nitrosococcus, Nitrosospira, Nitrobacter, Nitrosovibrio, Nitrosolobus, and Nitrospina. No matter what the genus is involved, the heterothrophs produce the ammonia and carbon dioxide on which the nitrifying bacteria live so they form a close association with them in the filter media.

This is a quote from a thread started by Waterkeeper. He gives a pretty good definition of different types of filters both biological and mechanical...check it out...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=707105

P.S. this quote I got was off the top of page 2.

Unread 10/08/2009, 04:11 PM   #78
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

Too much happening in my tank to give any meaningful update

I'll have to get out all the extra PO4 with GFO, concentration back @ 0.1-0.2 ppm

Current Tank Info: 240 gal + 50 gal sump,SDSB,LR,ATB Medium, 2x250W HQI + actinic,Balling
Unread 10/08/2009, 05:32 PM   #79
kaskiles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuggernaut View Post
running a fish only tank that doesnt have alot of live rock.
Ok, you and Waterkeeper have changed my mind. I guess you would want a trickle filter or fluidized sand filter with the fluidized biopellet filter.

Unread 10/08/2009, 07:43 PM   #80
ksed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatuvaaj View Post

I'll have to get out all the extra PO4 with GFO, concentration back @ 0.1-0.2 ppm
Tatu

Are the pellets not working for you or is there some thing going on in the tank?

Thanks

Kevin

Unread 10/08/2009, 08:09 PM   #81
mesocosm
ZeoHeretic

Greetings All !

Quote:
... We advise using 0.5-1 liter of pellets per 500 liter of system volume, and adding 100 ml of pellets every 3-6 months. Of note, these ratios depend on tank conditions and are strongly influenced by feeding regimes and livestock. When heavy feeding is required, we advise to combine the pellets with standard phosphate adsorbents. ...

Biopellet description
http://www.reefinterests.com/content/view/18/36/
Shouldn't be surprising that a phosphate binder may be required in some circumstances.

HTH

Unread 10/08/2009, 11:46 PM   #82
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaskiles View Post
Ok, you and Waterkeeper have changed my mind. I guess you would want a trickle filter or fluidized sand filter with the fluidized biopellet filter.
yea...that is what I was figuring...im def waiting till I hear from a few more people trying these out. But it they work as well as other are stating it might just be a set it and forget it kinda deal...

Unread 10/09/2009, 12:06 AM   #83
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksed View Post
Are the pellets not working for you or is there some thing going on in the tank?
Kevin,

Just too much phosphate stored on surfaces. I just received 5 liters of high capacity GFO so I'm hoping that will take care of it

Current Tank Info: 240 gal + 50 gal sump,SDSB,LR,ATB Medium, 2x250W HQI + actinic,Balling

Last edited by tatuvaaj; 10/09/2009 at 12:13 AM.
Unread 10/09/2009, 12:22 AM   #84
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

From what I understand liverock and sand beds can hold a lot of phosphates. Just gotta give it time to leach back out.

Unread 10/09/2009, 01:41 AM   #85
ksed
Registered Member

Quote:
Kevin,

Just too much phosphate stored on surfaces. I just received 5 liters of high capacity GFO so I'm hoping that will take care of it
Thanks Tatu

Keep us updated, it should come back down again'

Unread 10/10/2009, 07:08 AM   #86
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuggernaut View Post
This is a quote from a thread started by Waterkeeper. He gives a pretty good definition of different types of filters both biological and mechanical...check it out...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=707105

P.S. this quote I got was off the top of page 2.
Thx juggernaut ,

very informatif link , it was a big read !!
But as ever , it`s a one of the waterkeeper , informatif and funny the same time

greetingz tntneon

Current Tank Info: 154 G SPS dominated + 25 G sump ; lighting : 210 W LED XPG/XRE (sunrise) + 150 W T5 (bl+ , 15°K , fiji , bl+) ; skimmer : Royal Exclusive supermarine 200 ; BM 3-Ch dosing pump (CA/ ALk and top-off) ; tunze 6085 circulation
Unread 10/10/2009, 07:24 AM   #87
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:

sad to hear tatuvaaj ,
Did you had loss of some kind (hermits , snails ..) ?

You did just stopped your regular vodka dosing , that can induce increasing PO4 numbers , your skimmer was broken , and you have a new one now , i think the system has to cure a little bit from those changes.
If i was you i would use the pellets in a fluidizing bed , like you did before.
I was amazed how simple it was to make one , a small narrow glass vaze put in the sump , where a drainpipe from display or recycle line from return pump drains can create the fluidizing motion for the pellets.

I have positif results with the pellets , cyano is not so present on the sand anymore and GHa is very slow moving out
Water very clear , corals coloration en PE are also great !
NO3 stays at a stable 0.2 ~0.5 ppm and PO4 is zero

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/10/2009, 08:06 AM   #88
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Any response from soft corals which tend to need a bit of nitrate and phosphate?

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Unread 10/10/2009, 08:14 AM   #89
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
Any response from soft corals which tend to need a bit of nitrate and phosphate?
I don`t have any softies .
I have sps (acro,stylopora ,fungia ,favia) ,lps(tortch & hammer) and some zoas (mean green , brown ones and pink) and they all do fine.
Only my Chaeto is growing much slower and i noticed less bioactivity in the chaeto ball , this i had with normal vodka dosing too.

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/11/2009, 11:36 AM   #90
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

There hasn't been any discussion on skimmer performance. For vodka dosing it's all about getting a thicker darker skimmate. Are there skimmer recommendations that go along with this? I don't have a sump and I'm under skimming because I just don't have the space. Does this rule out use of this product?

I have softies and some lps so I don't need pristine water, but I would like to control diatoms and GHA.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Unread 10/12/2009, 03:21 AM   #91
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntneon View Post
sad to hear tatuvaaj ,
Did you had loss of some kind (hermits , snails ..) ?
No, I don't think those are so sensitive. Most azooxanthellae animals are suffering though, especially the "Blueberry gorgonian" and a large Ptilocaulis sp. sponge. The gorgonian was growing very well but now has only a few polyps alive

Quote:
You did just stopped your regular vodka dosing , that can induce increasing PO4 numbers , your skimmer was broken , and you have a new one now , i think the system has to cure a little bit from those changes.
Absolutely! I have now added two liters of DIAKAT-B+ and phosphate is already @ 0.07 ppm.
Quote:
If i was you i would use the pellets in a fluidizing bed , like you did before.
Already did that Although mine is not really a "fluidizing" but I installed a long flexible air stone gadget on the bottom of the canister and I use a timer to start small air pump every 12 hours. This drives out most of the bacteria.

Quote:
Water very clear , corals coloration en PE are also great !
I also noticed better water clarity when I started to use the pellets. I haven't noticed any difference in coral pigmentation but the colors were OK to start with. And my Oxymonacanthus longirostris takes care of PE

Unread 10/17/2009, 10:49 AM   #92
tntneon
SPSahollic

...And tatuvaaj is the system recovering ?

For me the pellets work fine the GHA is definitly moving away , as some caulerpa that was hidding between my bali polyps (nothing worse) i had forgot.
Is complely away.
No3 is less than 0.2 ppm now on the salifer kit ( Po4 stayed zero) .

In the evening , when actinics are only on , i extra manualy stir the bed of swirling pellets to get some bacteria (plankton?) from the fluidizing box to my display.
I never have massive build up of bacteria in the box , but if i stir it rough there comes an extra little bit of bacterial detrius or something free to feed the corals.

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/22/2009, 12:24 PM   #93
Genetics
Registered Member

Tntneon, are you thinking that these solid forms of pellets will be enough to completely remove the necessity of daily organic dosing? I would think that it would be beneficial if small amounts of the pellets would dissolve into the water column to help promote bacterioplankton. However, maybe enough of that is being generated at the sight of the pellets?

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Unread 10/22/2009, 02:13 PM   #94
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

So when can these be ordered in the US?

Unread 10/22/2009, 02:51 PM   #95
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntneon View Post
...And tatuvaaj is the system recovering
Yes

I've ordered more Biopellets, I'm going to use 2-2.5 liters. According to manufacturer that should be enough for my tank (240 gallons). I hope I will be able to stop DOC dosing completely. But we'll see...

Unread 10/22/2009, 02:57 PM   #96
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

Quote:
So when can these be ordered in the US?
You can order them from http://www.npbiopellets.com.

Ordering from them will also help coralscience.org

Unread 10/22/2009, 10:30 PM   #97
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Well, I sent an email telling them I would like to try a liter. My nitrates aren't bad, barely showing any color on the test, but phosphate is high at 1 ppm. I could also go with gfo but it would be nice to get the nitrates non detect.

Unread 10/23/2009, 04:48 AM   #98
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetics View Post
Tntneon, are you thinking that these solid forms of pellets will be enough to completely remove the necessity of daily organic dosing? I would think that it would be beneficial if small amounts of the pellets would dissolve into the water column to help promote bacterioplankton. However, maybe enough of that is being generated at the sight of the pellets?
-For my system (witch is a small one) , it looks that it`s enough carbon dosing .
I`ve withnesed a few times that i had some bacterial strings on the background , so bacterial action in the display is also higher i think.
And every day when istir the pellets there comes some extra bacterioplancton (or detrius from the bacteria ?) in the system that the corals do like.

I`m very happy with them , no3 testkit is`t coloring at all as does the po4 kit
the coral `s all seem to be very happy (great PE and growth).

I dose every day :salifer all in one (3 drops @25 g)
salifer calcium plus (2 ml @25 g)
easy life carbonate plus (1/2 spoon)
2 times a week :easylife trace elements (0.5ml @ 25g)
easylifefluoride / iodide complex (2ml@25g)

This is all i dose in combination with the n/p reducing pellets , no additional vodka or bacteria are dosed.

-The only down fall is the stagnating growth of my macro algea in the refugium and less pods in it then w/o carbon dosing.

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/23/2009, 04:50 AM   #99
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Well, I sent an email telling them I would like to try a liter. My nitrates aren't bad, barely showing any color on the test, but phosphate is high at 1 ppm. I could also go with gfo but it would be nice to get the nitrates non detect.
I don`t know what they do and in what time span for the reduction of po4 .
I never had any issues with po4 (always reading zero).
But i`m very curious to know , keep us informed

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/23/2009, 09:40 AM   #100
Genetics
Registered Member

Tntneon, this will be very interesting to watch over the next few months. Any idea what could be in these pellets that allow them to last for such a duration?

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Closed Thread