Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 10/23/2009, 10:34 AM   #101
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetics View Post
Tntneon, this will be very interesting to watch over the next few months. Any idea what could be in these pellets that allow them to last for such a duration?
I don't know what's in it , but i could ask Jptenklooster what is in the pellets , i don't know if he wants to share this info (the secret of the cook);

And he 's busy , he's become a father again.... , it's a girl
will ask him on the local forum.

greetingzz tntneon

Current Tank Info: 154 G SPS dominated + 25 G sump ; lighting : 210 W LED XPG/XRE (sunrise) + 150 W T5 (bl+ , 15°K , fiji , bl+) ; skimmer : Royal Exclusive supermarine 200 ; BM 3-Ch dosing pump (CA/ ALk and top-off) ; tunze 6085 circulation
Unread 10/23/2009, 10:43 AM   #102
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

I didn't get a response from my skimmer question. Carbon dosing typically uses the skimmer to get the bacteria out of the tank and that functions to remove the nitrogen and phosphate.

From what I gather, the bacteria grow on the pellets and we get the conversion of nitrate to N2 and I'm not sure what happens to the phosphate. Since the bacteria are more or less fixed on the pellets, this form of carbon dosing is less dependent on good skimming.

Am I understanding this correctly? What does happen to the phosphate? Will there be a change to the skimmate using the pellets?

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Unread 10/24/2009, 02:41 AM   #103
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
I didn't get a response from my skimmer question. Carbon dosing typically uses the skimmer to get the bacteria out of the tank and that functions to remove the nitrogen and phosphate.

From what I gather, the bacteria grow on the pellets and we get the conversion of nitrate to N2 and I'm not sure what happens to the phosphate. Since the bacteria are more or less fixed on the pellets, this form of carbon dosing is less dependent on good skimming.

Am I understanding this correctly? What does happen to the phosphate? Will there be a change to the skimmate using the pellets?
There`s definitly more bacterial action in the display as well ,
what it does to the po4 removal i don`t know .
I think good skimming is also important with this kind of carbon dosing.

Between the pellets i have almost no build up of bacteria or else (i do stir every day) , so i think the bacteria will grow fast in and on the surface of the pellets (and comsuming them) and when the pellet surface becomes overcrowed , you get some sort of export of bacteria (leeching , diffusing ,..?) to the display as well (2 week start up period) .
I don`t have evidence of this all , it`s all based of what i noticed the past 2 month`s.

greetingzz tntneon

Current Tank Info: 154 G SPS dominated + 25 G sump ; lighting : 210 W LED XPG/XRE (sunrise) + 150 W T5 (bl+ , 15°K , fiji , bl+) ; skimmer : Royal Exclusive supermarine 200 ; BM 3-Ch dosing pump (CA/ ALk and top-off) ; tunze 6085 circulation
Unread 10/24/2009, 09:56 AM   #104
Genetics
Registered Member

tntneon, I would agree with you. I am under the impression that using this method would still require a good skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Unread 10/25/2009, 04:26 AM   #105
tntneon
SPSahollic

-Are there any of you who dose carbon (vodka , vinigar , ..solid pellets...) and also have a refugium ?

If so ,do you see also less pods in/between the macro `s then before you did dose carbon ?

This i experienced first with regular vodka dosing (1/2 year ago) , then after vacation when i stopped dosing carbon the pods came back.
Now with the pellets i see a few pods in my refugium , but not the masses of before.
This is the only down side i experienced , i like seeing them running across the fuge

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/25/2009, 05:49 AM   #106
NaClH2Opgh
Moved On

I dose vodka (over a year) I can't grow macro anymore so I pulled it and the mud out of my sump. But it has not affected the pod population in my tank at all. My mandarin is fat and happy.

Unread 10/25/2009, 09:28 AM   #107
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

I also have a lot of pods after years of DOC dosing

Current Tank Info: 240 gal + 50 gal sump,SDSB,LR,ATB Medium, 2x250W HQI + actinic,Balling
Unread 10/25/2009, 09:29 AM   #108
1538Moss
Premium Member

Water flow

Is this too much water flow ?
(1L BIO-Pellets in a Fauna Marin : Ultra-Zeo-Matic 1)

Unread 10/25/2009, 10:39 AM   #109
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1538Moss View Post

seems fine , if you ask me
I have the same sort of swirling motion in there.
manualy stirring the bottom pellets , is a good practice as well if it's possible.

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/25/2009, 10:56 AM   #110
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1538Moss View Post
Seems like a great setup!

How much water flow you have through the media?

Current Tank Info: 240 gal + 50 gal sump,SDSB,LR,ATB Medium, 2x250W HQI + actinic,Balling
Unread 10/25/2009, 01:05 PM   #111
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatuvaaj View Post
Seems like a great setup!

How much water flow you have through the media?
And how much is the volume of the reaktor ?
That plays an important role whether the pellets are fluidies or not.

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/25/2009, 01:34 PM   #112
ksed
Registered Member

Is the effluent best located near a skimmer, so that the bacteria gets taken up as soon as possible or is it best located near the intake of your return pump so that the bacteria can feed the corals?

Thanks
Kevin

Unread 10/25/2009, 01:48 PM   #113
1538Moss
Premium Member

Volume and flow

Volume = 4L
Flow = Aquabee 2000 full throttle, estimate 300L/h
And manually stirring is not a problem since this is a zeolith reactor.

/Pål

Unread 10/26/2009, 05:37 AM   #114
tntneon
SPSahollic

hi reefers ,
I found more info about the pellets on this site

http://www.dvh-import.com/Site2/engl...-products.html

@1538Moss :
-Seems more or less like my turnover rate.
I have a rx volume of 1 l and a flow of 1500 l/h in it , i can`t imagine that it could create anaerobic conditions in there.

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/27/2009, 07:46 AM   #115
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Now that they are not selling direct, I'm not sure I see how to order the pellets from dvh import.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Unread 10/27/2009, 09:51 AM   #116
eliashickman
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Now that they are not selling direct, I'm not sure I see how to order the pellets from dvh import.
I just got finished talking with the owner of D. van Houten. Mr. Houten himself. A really great guy by the way.

http://www.dvh-import.com/Site2/english/Contact.html

Anyway, he told me that for my tank, which is a 60cm cube roughly 300 liters, that I would only need 1/2 a liter of the pellets.
He states that, at least to South Korea where I'm located, the price for shipping is as follows:
1 litre of biopellets (they ship in 1 liter bags) is 60 euros.
and
2 kilos shipping and handling is 25 euros.
He said 2 litres of biopellets (2 bags) will be under 2 kilos. So if I (in Seoul) wanted 2 litres, it would be 60+60+25=145 euros total. So I'm sure that to the States it's about the same.

He also stated that it could be put in a Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor as long as it was moving around and had the mesh insert at the bottom (to collect particulate).

I'm looking forward to more information only because the website is slightly vague about specifications. I can't wait to order though.

Okay so for ordering, you can just send him money through info@dvh-import.com he said.

Side note: He talked a bunch about his friend's tank and said that the guy is feeding 12 times a day!!!! That he has gorgonians and some other exotic filter feeding species in there. AND he said that his friend doesn't have a problem with NO3 or PO4. The food that he feeds is some type of "encapsulated food with neutral buoyancy".

@Frogmanx82. I asked about his friend's skimmate too.
His friend has to clean the skimmer cup every three days because it's "black like coffee. But not French" coffee. Hahaha

Unread 10/27/2009, 02:12 PM   #117
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

So these would not work for a fresh water tank because no skimmer right?

Unread 10/28/2009, 01:08 AM   #118
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

Quote:
I think FW people use mechanical/biological filters that would export the bacterial biomass when they are cleaned? It's been 20 years since I've had FW aquarium so my knowledge might be a, hmm, a bit outdated

Unread 10/28/2009, 02:11 AM   #119
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
-I just re-read the orginal thread , on the local forum , because your question was there asked too.

Jptenklooster replyed there that it`s also for freshwater tanks.

But if you use CO2 injection on fw tank you nomaly won`t have any NO3
or PO4 issues.
In my case i`ve got add nitrate and phosphate to my FW tank and harvest waterplants every 2 weeks ,otherwise i`ve got an tropical rainforrest instead of FW amzone tank

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/28/2009, 02:46 AM   #120
tntneon
SPSahollic

It seems like the pellets provide alot of food for the corals.
My no3 is at zero now for 1.5 week (po4 was already zero) , and i had to clean my glass every 2 a 3 days.
Three days ago a dosed my trace elements and my fluor/iodide supplement at the same day.
I dosed the recommended dose , not the safe margin i always dosed (1/2 recommended)
The following day i had to clean my glass 2 times ,even as NO3 and
PO4 where zero.
Now i`m back to the normal glass cleaning regime (once 2 a 3 days)

I think that i had some sort nutrient overload , w/o any measurable no3 or po4.
Another lesson leaned , not to dose to much trace elements at once or else
the algea would be more in the advantage again to up take nutrients before they enter watercoloum.

GHa is almost away now , it is a slow process it`s now 1 month that the GHA volume is decreasing .
I think it will take an other month to be completly away.

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/28/2009, 01:47 PM   #121
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksed View Post
Is the effluent best located near a skimmer, so that the bacteria gets taken up as soon as possible or is it best located near the intake of your return pump so that the bacteria can feed the corals?

Thanks
Kevin
A little late maybe but beter late then never .
I asked this on Jp `s original topic on local forum , and someboby of coralsience replyed to me that there`s enough bacteria and food with this methode that bypassing skimmer (with pellet reactor outlet) could result in Ph drops at night as ever greather growing bacterial mass are up taking o2 and expelling co2.
And there for the pellets are best use with water direktly comming from display and that oulet comes in the skimmer area .

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 10/29/2009, 01:25 PM   #122
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Hmm.... I have an intank tunze nano skimmer. Could I load the pellets into the base of the skimmer?

Unread 10/29/2009, 06:03 PM   #123
kaskiles
Registered Member

Wouldn't it be neat if the biopellets were light enough to fluidize within a non-recirculating skimmer chamber, yet heavy enough to not be skimmed out into the collection cup? Might work best in an air powered skimmer... Oh, I guess they would blow out the outlet anyway.

Unread 10/29/2009, 06:30 PM   #124
chaderic26
Registered Member

They were talking about these pellets at the CRASE in Oklahoma last week. It was cool to hear about something I was already following.

In the loop I am.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon Shined up Turd.
Unread 10/29/2009, 08:15 PM   #125
buddah001
Registered Member

So how do we get these?

Closed Thread