Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2013, 11:46 PM   #26
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Here's some other products I got in this week.
The Lifeguard thermometer is actually waterproof and suctions from the inside of the tank instead of having some kind of probe, Its real bright and easy to read. I'm a big fan except for the short power chord it has.
I am really enjoying the Hikari marine S pellet food so far. It is a really nice balanced food to supplement between frozen feedings and I feel like less food ends up going to waste like when I feed flakes.
The Dr. F&S cleaner spray claims that it is completely safe if it accidentally gets it the tank, which is reassuring, although it seems like it is a lot harder to buff out then the household window cleaners I have used in the past.

Current Tank Info: 34g Mixed Reef Solana (2 years old). 12g jbj nanocube dx (retired at 2 years old)
kevantheman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2013, 10:05 PM   #27
Ostrich
Registered Member

Your tank looks excellent! I am battling some tough GHA in my Solana, did you get rid of your algae? Also how is the skimmer? I am skimmerless at the moment, but probably need to get one.

Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2013, 11:34 PM   #28
kevantheman35
Registered Member

I feel like the solana is set up in a way that is extremely hard to keep algae away. I am still battling the algae and started my biopellet reactor last night, however the maxijet1200 was way under powered and barely moving the pellets so I have to figure something out. I like my skimmer and have tried many on this tank (stock, sapphire aquatics, Eshopps HOB). The only problem is that you have to keep the rear chamber extremely full for the intake to be underwater enough, and the level of the water changing just a little effects its performance. Thanks for the compliment if you have a build thread post the link, I would love to check it out!

Current Tank Info: 34g Mixed Reef Solana (2 years old). 12g jbj nanocube dx (retired at 2 years old)
Unread 01/26/2013, 12:36 PM   #29
calistyle
Registered Member

Sweet tank bro!

I'm having issues with algae as well. I've recently starting messing with peroxide (H202). It's not a solution to the problem, but rather a visual fix while I get it under control.

For me, I find 0 Nitrate or Phosphate, so something is consuming it like crazy...I added Mexican Turbos and 2 emerald crabs to help out w/ the CUC.

Unread 01/26/2013, 07:31 PM   #30
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calistyle View Post
Sweet tank bro!

I'm having issues with algae as well. I've recently starting messing with peroxide (H202). It's not a solution to the problem, but rather a visual fix while I get it under control.

For me, I find 0 Nitrate or Phosphate, so something is consuming it like crazy...I added Mexican Turbos and 2 emerald crabs to help out w/ the CUC.
I get the same readings. I just figure there must be phosphates bound to my rock that aren't showing in my readings. So far the best cleaner I have found is my tuxedo urchin for the algae and my sea cucumber for the sand. I did a peroxide dip on a few large live rock pieces recently which seemed to help temporarily

Unread 01/28/2013, 04:10 PM   #31
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Got some new sps in, pics coming!

Unread 01/28/2013, 05:57 PM   #32
SGD
Registered Member

Love the stand.

SGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 06:13 PM   #33
KChan
Registered Member

Agree...really nice work on the stand.

KChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 06:21 PM   #34
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I will get a finished pic of it on here I realize I never posted one. I'm actually in the middle of creating a stained glass window pane for the front door.

Unread 02/02/2013, 06:57 PM   #35
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Update
I purchased this green milli the other day from a lfs after noticing that an acro crab was calling it home. I wish I had a macro lense so I could snap a good pic, but he's pretty amazing to watch. I rescaped a little to fit this guy in, creating an island on the right side of the tank, and a few pillers going upward on the left to hold sps.
I also started my biopellets, as well as dosing mb7 this week and am waiting for them to start kicking in.

New product
I purchased a nice Hanna phosphate colorimeter this week off of craigslist (model HI 93713). I got a great deal and it came with 85 reagents, although expired haha. The first reading I got was .04 mq/l which was much lower then I had expected due to my hair algae problems I've been having.

FTS

Unread 02/02/2013, 07:11 PM   #36
smtank
Registered Member

Lovely Solana.

smtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2013, 07:20 PM   #37
nova65ss
Registered Member

Nice Solana the stand is fantastic nice work!

nova65ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2013, 07:55 PM   #38
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate it

Unread 02/02/2013, 08:06 PM   #39
kevantheman35
Registered Member

So I've never mentioned before that I work and am a member of the dive team at the Fort Wayne Children's zoo. Our zoo is rated in the top 10 in the country and were pretty proud of it. Here's a few crappy pictures of the 20,000g reef tank and 50,000g shark tank where I dive, clean, and do underwater question answer sessions.

Unread 02/03/2013, 07:01 PM   #40
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Tested tonight and parameters show 0 nitrates and .04 Phos. I may finally be getting this algae thing under control!

Unread 02/04/2013, 08:52 AM   #41
MuldoonJT
Registered Member

Awesome cube! I was shopping for cubes but went with a half round (yeah yeah she won that round) Luckily I was green lit to do anything I want in the basement. I really wish I went with the cube =(

Unread 02/04/2013, 05:49 PM   #42
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Cubes are all I have ever had. I love the look for I think they make for much harder aquascaping and proper flow. I want to upgrade to a 50/60 g cube soon. What tank are you running, the cardiff? Do you have a build thread?

Unread 02/07/2013, 08:48 PM   #43
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Po4 showed .05 tonight. I am probably overdue on a gfo change so hopefully after that I will hit my mark of .02-.03!

Unread 02/07/2013, 09:42 PM   #44
PhoticZoner
Registered Member

Even with your algae struggles, kevan, you tank looks great! You get such nice colors! I justed started up a nano in a fluval edge and am inspired by the colors in your corals!

PhoticZoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2013, 10:32 PM   #45
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoticZoner View Post
Even with your algae struggles, kevan, you tank looks great! You get such nice colors! I justed started up a nano in a fluval edge and am inspired by the colors in your corals!
Thanks a lot! I feel like my colors have there ups and downs, especially that big Gnarf bonsai colony up top. One week it can be super bright, and the next it can be really pale. If you have a build thread post it on here so I can check it out, those are neat little tanks, I used to have a 12g nanocube and loved it. Heres an old crappy pic

Unread 02/08/2013, 12:14 PM   #46
gagesw1
Registered Member

sweet tanks man

gagesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2013, 09:10 PM   #47
Fish are friend
Registered Member

gotta make my way to fort wayne

Fish are friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2013, 06:10 PM   #48
BrennanA
Registered Member

really like this build, what type of starfish do you have?

BrennanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 05:52 PM   #49
Tomokazu
Registered Member

Man I really want to get one of these tanks, nice build =)

Tomokazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2013, 10:41 AM   #50
chad p
Registered Member

Nice tank. I'm finishing my stand for a Solana Superbrite (the non-AIO version).

I was wondering...are the dimensions of the tank exactly 20x20" to a tee? And I'm assuming it's the outside dimensions correct? I appreciate you helping me out because I'm building the stand without having the tank on hand just yet.

Thankfully I've never had much of an issue with GHA but I have had some red slime issues and 3 days with lights out and butcher paper keeping light out of the tank have always done the trick. No harm to the corals either. Keep up the good work with the tank!